Why is wrestling considered by some to be the best base for mma

You have never settled a beef with another man by squaring up and swinging.

ahahahahahaha.

the cherry on top f this thread is that the female also recognizes instantly TS has never been in a fight.

i have no ide wh you asked the question,

and all you have accomplished TS is to ensure everyone sees you dont undrstand the word "base", as the concept implies further skills are added.

Wait having a UFC champion, Dream Champion, a few top10 fighters is not that many? Remember there are fewer Judokas than Wrestlers so don't think in absolute numbers but relative to sports size. Hell coming from Poland, a country which used to be strong both in Judo and Wrestling despite having more low level kid judo schools we have more high level wrestling prospects, comps and events than judo
Not in proportion to numbers out there
T

Wrestling already dominates MMA.

Now imagine replacing the mats with concrete, allowing knees on the ground, allowing headbutts, and allowing head spiking. Wrestlers would kill people every other fight. A slam on concrete = likely death.
Actualy most of those are pro wrestler rules dude
Harder to shoot and wrestle on concrete without tearing up your knees
Headbutts mean clinching up gets harder
Knees on the 'ground' have been a huge pro wrestling rule....if ur almost kod or have ur face fucked up with every missed shot attempt its suddenly a different ballgame altogether
Head spiking is of course something wrestlers could use but the rule equally protects....image every failed shot ends with u getting spiked !

Thats before u even take jnto account upkicks,stomps or football kicks

I love these threads.. it sorts out the spectators from the actual athletes immediately.

If someone suplex you in a street fight, it's all over. It doesn't matter how long you've been honing your stand up.

What if the wrestler slams their own head on the concrete?
I've seen both Gray Maynard and Mark Kerr demonstrate how this is done.
Many more tap their heads on the mat when exploding through a TD.

Makes thread about best base for mma, talks about street fighting someone with a knife. Good ol sherdog white belts

it is a legit base but I suspect there is a bias towards wrestling because it is very popular in america and they consider it an american sport, unlike BJJ or muay thai.
but wrestling without submissions from BJJ and other foreign MA isn't much and the average BJJ guys takes the wrestlers arm home with him almost all of the time.

Last edited:
True. Iirc you can add Matt Hughes as another example. Still, those are clearly a small minority of incidents where a wrestler slams an opponent.

Wrestling on concrete would be harder on wrestlers than it is now. But it would be much worse for their opponents.

And surely you can't be supporting the original contention that brought up the issue of concrete vs mats, which is that wrestling being done on soft mats shows it is not meant for fighting.

ahahahahahaha.

the cherry on top f this thread is that the female also recognizes instantly TS has never been in a fight.

i have no ide wh you asked the question,

and all you have accomplished TS is to ensure everyone sees you dont undrstand the word "base", as the concept implies further skills are added."

Uhh when you have to add further skills that aren't in that base in order to make it effective, perhaps the base is deficient for fighting. And it appears you have never lived in the hood either lol

it is a legit base but I suspect there is a bias towrads wrestling because it is very popular in american and they consider it an american sport, unlike BJJ or muay thai.
but wrestling without submissions from BJJ and other foreign MA isn't much and the average BJJ guys takes the wrestlers arm home with him almost all of the time.

This is prob the best way to articulate my original point which is that there is a bias in favor of wrestling mostly due to popularity rather than fight results

Yes that can happen. But I imagine the thrower is wise enough to land on his shoulder rather than his head or do the "release" type that Rory did to Nate.

it is a legit base but I suspect there is a bias towrads wrestling because it is very popular in american and they consider it an american sport, unlike BJJ or muay thai.

Doesn't take a ton of bjj training to neutralize subs from bottom. On the other hand bjj guys take forever to learn good takedown and tdd. Look at Maia, been training forever still has terrible telegraph takedown. On the other hand wrestlers like Hughes learned to choke out bjj black belts with a fuckin neck crank lol

Guys like Conor, Cody , tj , Edgar, Cormier, stipe , jones have shown only basic bjj is needed if you have elite striking or wrestling

Wrestling is not 'very popular' in America:

high_school_participation_sports-chart.jpg

Wrestling comes in between #11-13 for high school participation, roughly 260k students last year.

It's the best base for MMA because:

1) wrestling is a combat sport, by definition is functional experience

2) years of grappling is a obvious advantage

3) wrestling training develops mental toughness

If MMA paid similar to other professional sports, you would see elite athletes in the heavier weight classes. Instead we have old geriatric fighters and those who couldn't make it into other professional sports. This is well noted in the abysmal lack of depth and talent at 205-265. Elite athletes that size don't attempt to enter MMA.

Aside from being so statistically successful for MMA, amateur wrestlers don't have a professional outlet. Naturally more of them will gravitate to MMA considering there isn't another option to apply their craft.

One of the dumbest threads I've seen in a long time on almost every level.

One of the dumbest threads I've seen in a long time on almost every level.

The biggest star ever in the history of mma is not a wrestler, did not have a base as a wrestler, and will soon cash the biggest paycheck in the history of mma by fighting a boxer and not a wrestler. Thanks for playing dummy

The biggest star ever in the history of mma is not a wrestler, did not have a base as a wrestler, and will soon cash the biggest paycheck in the history of mma by fighting a boxer and not a wrestler. Thanks for playing dummy
Calling people "dummy" doesn't make your arguments stronger. You know that right?

Casuals like drama. Conor is popular because he knows how to market himself. He is also very talented and a real fighter but he is not the best ever.
Guys like Fedor, Jon Jones and GSP have way better a claim for greatest when we consider only fighting ability.
Fedor: Small dude who faced the best HW had to offer and made them all look like trash. A division where one punch and it's all over (trained in Sambo and Judo. It isn't literally wrestling but uses takedown.)
Jon Jones: One of the best records ever: Daniel Cormier, Gustafsson, Shogun, Machida, Belfort, Rampage, Sonnen, Glover. (wrestling base)
GSP: Dominated his opponents completely. They all looked like amateurs (used wrestling)
Even in FW division Conor isn't the greatest. Aldo is and he has amazing TDD.

Last edited:

You troll at a high skill level... what's your real Sherdog name?

Back