Why is wrestling considered by some to be the best base for mma

As a wrestler, it's quite easy to expand your grappling game to consist moves from another grappling arts, such as BJJ. Wrestling base also grants fighter extremely good motor skills. When you know how to control your every muscle in sync, you have good base for practically any sport.

The biggest star ever in the history of mma is not a wrestler, did not have a base as a wrestler, and will soon cash the biggest paycheck in the history of mma by fighting a boxer and not a wrestler. Thanks for playing dummy

Are you stoned? The biggest star doesn't mean the best fighter, and the idea of wrestling being the best base for MMA doesn't mean anyone who entered MMA without a wrestling base has had no success in the sport.

This isn't even good trolling, it should at least have some sort of basis of logic to make it appear legitimate.

Are you stoned? The biggest star doesn't mean the best fighter, and the idea of wrestling being the best base for MMA doesn't mean anyone who entered MMA without a wrestling base has had no success in the sport.

This isn't even good trolling, it should at least have some sort of basis of logic to make it appear legitimate.

LOL and of those other wrestling based fighters and any man in general would forsake his wrestling prowess to come within a glimpse of the money, fame and sway that Conor earned by NEVER WRESTLING AND NOT HAVING WRESTLING AS A BASE. He's a boxer and now he's cashing the biggest check in ufc history by engaging A BOXER in a STAND-UP ONLY FIGHT LOL. Stay triggered about it

You troll at a high skill level... what's your real Sherdog name?

Thank you. Actually I used to post in ESPN boxing forums till boxing took A nosedive and ducking became so rampant and corruption affected every matchmaking and decision that I vacated. However I'm troubled by the notions of simple men ignoring that it was fighters like Gracie, Anderson, wanderlei, fedor, Conor, rampage, cro cop, lidell, Aldo, etc who pushed the sport forward in terms of excitement and action as opposed to wrestling based fighters. Btw I have the same name now as then and only one account.

Calling people "dummy" doesn't make your arguments stronger. You know that right?

Casuals like drama. Conor is popular because he knows how to market himself. He is also very talented and a real fighter but he is not the best ever.
Guys like Fedor, Jon Jones and GSP have way better a claim for greatest when we consider only fighting ability.
Fedor: Small dude who faced the best HW had to offer and made them all look like trash. A division where one punch and it's all over (trained in Sambo and Judo. It isn't literally wrestling but uses takedown.)
Jon Jones: One of the best records ever: Daniel Cormier, Gustafsson, Shogun, Machida, Belfort, Rampage, Sonnen, Glover. (wrestling base)
GSP: Dominated his opponents completely. They all looked like amateurs (used wrestling)
Even in FW division Conor isn't the greatest. Aldo is and he has amazing TDD.

LOL but nobody is willing to pay as much to see those wrestling based fighters fight as they are willing to pay to see Nate and Conor fight (NEITHER HAS A WRESTLING BASE) or to see Conor fight in a BOXING MATCH LOLOLLLLLLLLOOLL keep the faith of collegiate wrestling lol I'm sure all athletes if given the choice would rather be Dan gable or Carl
Sanderson rather than Conor mcgregor LOLOLLLLL

Mma is essentially fighting. The goal is to incapacitate another person as quickly and hopefully as spectacularly as possible. Bearing in mind that in fighting, in life, or in tournament, or in general, one may possibly have to fight multiple opponents on the same night or multiple opponents in an unfair fight. So how on earth is a discipline which is so boring that the Olympics flirted with cutting it out, so boring that there isn't even a professional version of it for amateurs to Segue in to (that's why hs/ college wrestlers go into mma) considered the best base.
If a boxer unleashes his/ her most damaging move on a person, that person is getting concussed, blacked out, stitches, a broken orbital, or a broken nose, broken rib, etc. all from a single move (punch). If a wrestler unleashes his/ her most damaging move, then CONGRATS, you have your shoulder blades pressed to the ground and you got pinned. Or taken down. Or back points. Or reversed. Wow that sounds damaging and scary. A freaking football tackle has more grounds to be mma worthy than wrestling moves.

Wrestling is not meant for damage. It requires a soft mat to compete in. Striking can be done on any surface. It is meant solely for damage. I get that wrestling is helpful, but how anyone can put it above boxing for fighting purposes is just ignorant and toolish.

If you had to fight an attacker w a weapon and you used wrestling, your probably getting shanked in the back while you attempt your takedown ( but at least you scored two points LOL). If you used striking and movement, the art of hit and don't get hit, you stand a much better chance of not getting hurt while doing your best to disarm the assailant.

This is why when someone goes to watch a boxing match, it's called "watchin The fights" or "going to see a prizefight". When wrestlers compete, it's called a meet. One of these things is better for fighting for several reasons.

Sorry, had to stop reading because your rant is more boring than wrestling.

But the fact is: wrestling is the best tool to dictate where the fight takes place.

Fights are scored with "octagon control" in mind. You control where the fight takes place, you are winning it.

You fight a master in BJJ? Use your wrestling to keep the fight standing
You fight a Boxing champ? Use your wrestling to push him against the cage or take him down.

Or if you have other tools you feel are superior to your opponent's, then by all means:

You have a great ground game? Use your wrestling to take your opponent down.(i.e. GSP)
You have a great standup game? Use your wrestling to take stay up. (i.e. Chuck liddell)

Overall, wrestling is not the best base of MMA because it can end fights. it is because it can use to neutralize your opponent or help you take the fight where you think you have the upper hand.

youve never been attacked by someone with a blade. A lot of people haven't so I don't blame you for it going over your head. Guess what I didn't do? Use wrestling. It would have got me stabbed. Do you understand now

Were talking mma..you are talking something entirely different and trying to conflate the two somehow.
You arent the only one to deal with a streetfight either.

Wrestling is not 'very popular' in America:

high_school_participation_sports-chart.jpg

Wrestling comes in between #11-13 for high school participation, roughly 260k students last year.

Let me rephrase then, wrestling is the most popular (and traditional) combat sport in america. Doesn't change my point but more precise

Doesn't take a ton of bjj training to neutralize subs from bottom. On the other hand bjj guys take forever to learn good takedown and tdd. Look at Maia, been training forever still has terrible telegraph takedown. On the other hand wrestlers like Hughes learned to choke out bjj black belts with a fuckin neck crank lol

Guys like Conor, Cody , tj , Edgar, Cormier, stipe , jones have shown only basic bjj is needed if you have elite striking or wrestling

You consider Maia's takedown telegraphed, maybe because you have a bias towards wrestling. The fact is maia had been able to takedown many high level wrestlers so it is effective. He even took down more wrestlers than hughes subbed black belts

Let me rephrase then, wrestling is the most popular (and traditional) combat sport in america. Doesn't change my point but more precise

Don't think so. There are 5 karate schools in every small suburban town. Larger cities have dozens. If you google for research surveys and studies on the topic, you'll find estimates between 4-15 million participants in the US.

Don't think so. There are 5 karate schools in every small suburban town. Larger cities have dozens. If you google for research surveys and studies on the topic, you'll find estimates between 4-15 million participants in the US.

yeah but you don't have karate courses in high school and university. this shows it is rooted in the culture.
there might be (probably is) more people who drink organic smoothies than people who ride bulls for exemple, but it you ask me what is more american i'd rather say bull riding. I don't know if I get my point across.
(there still might be more people doing wrestling than karate by the way)

Damn, this pilgrim dude is dumb as rocks

LOL smart enough to trigger a bunch of meatheads who have latent inferiority complex in knowing that a boxer can box amateur, go pro, and make millions without ever learning another martial art MEANWHILE a wrestler can wrestle college/ hs/ amateur and CANT GET A JOB WRESTLING unless the go into mma where they HAVE to learn other martial arts to even be remotely competitive just to make FOUR-FIGURES per fight LOLOLLLLL u suck. Guess it's the wrestler who's dumb for being too unathletic, uncoordinated, and too scared to get hit to box. LOLOL. I respect wrestling and wrestlers for being tough and for the fact that Most of them could kick my ass, but when they and observers claim that wrestling is a superior base for mma because of things like control, when in fact the point of a fight is to generate a finishing result as quickly and possible(something boxing, kickboxing, Bjj, etc. all teach) then I have to step into meathead, reminiscing-about-my-time-in-a-singlet, cant get a job cause no one wants to pay to see my sport done professionally- world of wrestling and remind them that the biggest star in their sport does not have wrestling as a base, the biggest female star in the history of the sport does not have wrestling as a base, the current female champ does not have wrestling as a base,and that the most badass brothers in the history of the sport do not have wrestling as a base. So it appears that wrestling in a great and mandatory ADDITION TO ANOTHER BASE, but is not the best base in and of itself. END OF STORY. NEXT

Last edited:
yeah but you don't have karate courses in high school and university. this shows it is rooted in the culture.
there might be (probably is) more people who drink organic smoothies than people who ride bulls for exemple, but it you ask me what is more american i'd rather say bull riding. I don't know if I get my point across.
(there still might be more people doing wrestling than karate by the way)

I honestly don't get your point but you are categorically incorrect about wrestling be popular or embedded in the culture. There is a reason why it ranks #12 in most popular high school sports.

My wrestling career started in the 3rd grade and ran through college, essentially my entire life through my early 20's. Few people are even aware of the sport, its largely ignored here.

By the numbers traditional martial arts are wildly, wildly more popular in adolescents. At the collegiate level, you are ~7,000 NCAA wrestlers. For comparison, women's softball has 20,000 participants.

You tried to imply people select wrestling as a good base for MMA because of some bias. Its just not there.

Wrestling is a good base for MMA because modern fighting includes an enormous amount of grappling. As it turns out, its easier to teach an adult grappler how to strike than it is to teach an adult striker how to grapple.

I honestly don't get your point but you are categorically incorrect about wrestling be popular or embedded in the culture. There is a reason why it ranks #12 in most popular high school sports.

My wrestling career started in the 3rd grade and ran through college, essentially my entire life through my early 20's. Few people are even aware of the sport, its largely ignored here.

By the numbers traditional martial arts are wildly, wildly more popular in adolescents. At the collegiate level, you are ~7,000 NCAA wrestlers. For comparison, women's softball has 20,000 participants.

You tried to imply people select wrestling as a good base for MMA because of some bias. Its just not there.

Wrestling is a good base for MMA because modern fighting includes an enormous amount of grappling. As it turns out, its easier to teach an adult grappler how to strike than it is to teach an adult striker how to grapple.

You are mistaken, my first words on this topic were "it is a legit base" so what your you think I am implying is not the case, as I clearly stated my opinion.

As for embedded in culture, that is a discussion we can have. I think, you might not agree and are free to do so of course, that a sport being taught in highschools show a level of "embededness" (not sure about that word) of a sport in a culture.
don't you think this point has some validity?

LOL Pico got torched. LOL OLYMPIC LEVEL WRESTLING WASNT WORTH 15 SECONDS IN THE CAGE AT THE ENTEY LEVEL OF FIGHTING LOL I was waiting for his wrestling base to dictate control of where the fight was fought... Until he got KTFO by a move that the boxing base teaches and choked out by a base that teaches actual finishes LOL

Last edited:
Mma is essentially fighting. The goal is to incapacitate another person as quickly and hopefully as spectacularly as possible. Bearing in mind that in fighting, in life, or in tournament, or in general, one may possibly have to fight multiple opponents on the same night or multiple opponents in an unfair fight. So how on earth is a discipline which is so boring that the Olympics flirted with cutting it out, so boring that there isn't even a professional version of it for amateurs to Segue in to (that's why hs/ college wrestlers go into mma) considered the best base.
If a boxer unleashes his/ her most damaging move on a person, that person is getting concussed, blacked out, stitches, a broken orbital, or a broken nose, broken rib, etc. all from a single move (punch). If a wrestler unleashes his/ her most damaging move, then CONGRATS, you have your shoulder blades pressed to the ground and you got pinned. Or taken down. Or back points. Or reversed. Wow that sounds damaging and scary. A freaking football tackle has more grounds to be mma worthy than wrestling moves.

Wrestling is not meant for damage. It requires a soft mat to compete in. Striking can be done on any surface. It is meant solely for damage. I get that wrestling is helpful, but how anyone can put it above boxing for fighting purposes is just ignorant and toolish.

If you had to fight an attacker w a weapon and you used wrestling, your probably getting shanked in the back while you attempt your takedown ( but at least you scored two points LOL). If you used striking and movement, the art of hit and don't get hit, you stand a much better chance of not getting hurt while doing your best to disarm the assailant.

This is why when someone goes to watch a boxing match, it's called "watchin The fights" or "going to see a prizefight". When wrestlers compete, it's called a meet. One of these things is better for fighting for several reasons.
You realize 6 of the current UFC Champs right now wrestled at some point right? And about 75 % or more of the top 10 in each division

Back