Why is Kickboxing not a HIT in the U.S?

Oh. Heated Japanese stuff huh? So did it go like this?

Japanese dudes bow to each other, but don't bow as low as usual. Crowd gasps! Interviewer is slightly uneasy...
Interviewer begins:
"Ohyao Gozai Mas oh venerable warriors of the K-1 to be interviewed! Now to interview HAI!"
"Takeru-sama how will you be able to defeat your honerable opponent?"
Taki responds "I will do my best with my kicks and I think because of my conditioning I will be able to outlast my opponent's very strong attacks and luckily prevail."
"How do you respond oh beloved warrior Kaito of the great Nihon-Jin!?!?"
"Ah yes, hes conditioning is good to be sure, but in my opinion, I will win for attacking even though his conditioning is good and he will last the whole fight! HAI!"
"Um did you say his conditioning is only good and not VERY good or great!?! oh honorable-san Kaito san?!?!?!?"
"Oh I apologise it is very good! Gomen Nasai!!! But...."
The interviewer cringes and looks outright scared "But what oh awesomess of awesomes Kaito-san-sama?!?!
"I.......... I ........ will defeat my opponent decisively. Gomen nasai for saying it!"
Crowd is silent. Interviewer looks down as if the government just imprisoned his child.
"I am sorry for being dishonored. We will fight on the day and settle this. Thank you for fight me!" says Taki
"Yes fight we will HAI! Thank you more!"
"No I thank you more!"
"NOOO THANK YOU!!!!"
Fighters bow and walk off and interviewer gets composure.
"such heated exchange! Surely there will be great fight on day of fightday! Perhaps seppuku for looser!
Jesus dude I hope thats a copy pasta and you didn't take time to write all that lol They got in a brief altercation and Takeru landed a nice takedown on him. They seemed pretty genuinely hostile to each other.

Ya Futbol is so entertaining. Sit there for hours watching people run around kicking a ball resulting in a 1-0 score. So exciting!

90 minutes to be exact, how long does an American football game last? 4 hours, 21% of it actual action, the rest commercials and people drinking gatorade on the sidelines

I remember watching K1 back in the day and loved it, SO much talent, so many cool finishes, so much entertainment. It was quite popular I thought, whereas Kickboxing today is honestly not even relevant anymore outside of a mega fight like Badr Hari v Rico Verhoeven (sp?).

I'm a HUGE Boxing fan but honestly in terms of PURE entertainment, even now I think Kickboxing is probably number 1. I was watching Joe Schillings last fight live a few months ago and that was SO great to watch, I think if we had a back and forth fight like that in MMA (Cub/Choi or Diaz/McGregor 2) it would have garnered SO much attention but since it's Kickboxing it's attention is pretty limited.

Is it a combination of factors? Or can a lack of talent, a lack of promotion, ruleset holding it back, lack of a McGregor-esque personality to carry it to blame?
I always was surprised k1 didn't catch on more

Jesus dude I hope thats a copy pasta and you didn't take time to write all that lol They got in a brief altercation and Takeru landed a nice takedown on him. They seemed pretty genuinely hostile to each other.
Nope I wrote that stuff out. Hopefully people get a laugh out of it.
Muay Thai dudes are the most friendly Ive ever seen in any combat sport. But Japan is a very polite society, and usualy they don't speak bad about their opponents, but there are exceptions of course.

Football, fútbol and soccer all suck. How's that? One is dudes ramming into each other and one is dudes acting as if they were shot after accidentally ramming into each other.

Baseball!

90 minutes to be exact, how long does an American football game last? 4 hours, 21% of it actual action, the rest commercials and people drinking gatorade on the sidelines
They're just giving us time to go check on the ribs in the smoker and grab another beer. Maybe smoke a joint or two. It also goes to commercial break a lot because of possession changes due to awesome scoring.

1dfce0ca31321992136c1740e32bea21.gif

Football, fútbol and soccer all suck. How's that? One is dudes ramming into each other and one is dudes acting as if they were shot after accidentally ramming into each other.

Baseball!
Baseball has like 9000 games in a season and half the time you're watching someone scratch their nuts or an intense forehead closeup of the pitcher breathing.

It's only watchable in the playoffs but incredibly annoying with all the bandwagon fans when your local team is doing well. "How about those Giants!?" How about my change, buddy?

Baseball has like 9000 games in a season and half the time you're watching someone scratch their nuts or an intense forehead closeup of the pitcher breathing.

It's only watchable in the playoffs but incredibly annoying with all the bandwagon fans when your local team is doing well. "How about those Giants!?" How about my change, buddy?

I didn't care much for baseball until I went a AAA game as teenager and saw what a 95 mph fastball looked like in person. TV does not do that justice and it's often the easiest pitch to hit! I'm blown away that they can even make contact.

When there's NASCAR and the PGA Tour in full swing, why would anyone watch kickboxing?

I didn't care much for baseball until I went a AAA game as teenager and saw what a 95 mph fastball looked like in person. TV does not do that justice and it's often the easiest pitch to hit! I'm blown away that they can even make contact.
I've gone to Giants games since the early 90's and do like the game I just can't invest my time into it. Baseball does have the most tense moments tho.

There's no big personalities hardly in kickboxing, unless you count just being a scummy criminal. Kickboxers are just not talkers for whatever reason (in b4 referencing some now retired guy who primarily used his fists)

who says being a scrummy criminal and a personality and talking shit can't go together?

Nope I wrote that stuff out. Hopefully people get a laugh out of it.
Muay Thai dudes are the most friendly Ive ever seen in any combat sport. But Japan is a very polite society, and usualy they don't speak bad about their opponents, but there are exceptions of course.
I got a shock value chuckle out of "Perhaps sepukku!" lol

yeah but Australia doesn't have any good boxers and its still popular there.
I mean most small european country doesn't have any good mma fighters either, but they are still fans of mma. Same with music, movies etc. People like to watch american stuff, while americans don't really care for whats going on in the rest of the world

I mean most small european country doesn't have any good mma fighters either, but they are still fans of mma. Same with music, movies etc. People like to watch american stuff, while americans don't really care for whats going on in the rest of the world
:) I see several Americans watching combat sports and they have no idea about the level.

But in the last years they tend to be more opened regarding Europe and better and even at geography maybe and anything.

The majority have European background, so it would be a pity. After all America is also Europe.

I've heard the same but from people from Zimbabwe. Or it's gay to kick that's why they prefer boxing

Snub is the best gay ever, we should invite him to Suriname and Jamaica (our countries).

Wow you guys are killing me with excellent material :(

And Europeans think all of the US is the same ignoring the fact that this one country is nearly the size of Europe as a whole.

And Europeans think all of the US is the same ignoring the fact that this one country is nearly the size of Europe as a whole.
You're clearly missing my point. Anything that gets big in the U.S gets big in other parts of the world. Anything that gets big outside of the U.S, not so much.

Back