Why is Kickboxing not a HIT in the U.S?

there was still the WCL that wasn't to long ago that was for all intent and purpose Full Contact bs. Nobody gives a shit about kickboxing here and without it being on tv it is nothing. Who's going to put it on tv here besides Spike and some paid channels for ppl to watch they already tried getting ppl to watch the Contender Asia on NBCsports and it did nothing. I doubt there's too many sports stations wanting it or are willing to push it here.
I'm not sure exactly what people's expectations really are. Like if anyone thinks it will be as big as the UFC that's completely unrealistic. It shouldn't be expected to be. It's nearly imposible for new sports to break into the mainstream, and even then for MMA it's not the whole sport it's really just a single promotion. UFC is also a domestic product while Kickboxing is primarily European. Nobody gives a shit about Soccer either when it's not the World Cup.

You can add ice hockey to that list to only time the mainstream cares for it is in the olympics and compared to North Amrican style of play it is less exciting euro shit. Like I said there was Full Contact here and it was fairly popular here but ppl stopped watching it it seems like the only combat sport that will stick around in the US is Boxing.

I honestly wouldn't want Kickboxing mainstream anyways. I don't see why people get so hung up on this. We get one of these "Why isn't Kickboxing big in the States?" threads every week. Why are thousands of other things not big in the US? Because there are just too many fucking things for people to be interested in.

Only a hand full of MAJOR things do get mainstream appeal and that's with a shit load of money behind it to push it on the public. Like people think hits on the radio are huge because so many people like the music, but in reality the radio stations have to continually play that shit non stop because they are being paid to.

I think that with most things that get the kind of traction that leads to mainstream popularity are or were what America call in the right place at the right time. The ufc got where it is because tuf got air time on an exciting new tv chanel in a time when very joe blow and his mother was in to reality tv. If the ufc had waited until today to do that they probably wouldn't have made it. People aren't interested in reality TV or TV in general. That formula just won't work in to days market.

Besides the rise of MMA and the somewhat strange fact that boxing is still so big I think the lameass superstar-culture is partly to blame. THere's no "grassroots", no fight-community etc.. everyone just wants to watch the best, and, preferably from their couch. So international K1 it is.

I'm not sure exactly what people's expectations really are. Like if anyone thinks it will be as big as the UFC that's completely unrealistic. It shouldn't be expected to be. It's nearly imposible for new sports to break into the mainstream, and even then for MMA it's not the whole sport it's really just a single promotion. UFC is also a domestic product while Kickboxing is primarily European. Nobody gives a shit about Soccer either when it's not the World Cup.

NOT a fair comparison! Soccer is gay as Liberace hanging out with Elton John in a Sauna.

:cool:

Probably because U.S doesn't have any good kickboxers..,

soccer is gay, football isnt.

muricans again
I agree, football is much better...

635562575530743774-cxx-rodgers-26.jpg

"soccer is gay, football isnt.

muricans again."

American forum brah. You know the guys who invented forums, the internet, computers, micro chips, etc.. etc... Futabalo or whatever the fuck you call it is gay. 3 linemen vs your whole soccer team. How now brown cow?

Last edited:
american eggbal is gay compared to the real version, Rugby

now move along.

My brother likes (American) football and I have tried to give it a chance and watch it with him, but there are wayyy too many ads. When the ads stop there is like 10 seconds of action, then they wait around and nothing happens for the longest time. I'm surprised it became more popular than rugby, my guess is because the helmets look cool and the pigskin ball looks cooler than the rugby dinosaur egg.

Ya Futbol is so entertaining. Sit there for hours watching people run around kicking a ball resulting in a 1-0 score. So exciting!

There's no big personalities hardly in kickboxing, unless you count just being a scummy criminal. Kickboxers are just not talkers for whatever reason (in b4 referencing some now retired guy who primarily used his fists)

There's no big personalities hardly in kickboxing, unless you count just being a scummy criminal. Kickboxers are just not talkers for whatever reason (in b4 referencing some now retired guy who primarily used his fists)
To be fair almost all the best kickboxers are ESL or simply don't speak English. Takeru and Kaito recently had that heated rivalry but the interviews were all in Japanese.

To be fair almost all the best kickboxers are ESL or simply don't speak English. Takeru and Kaito recently had that heated rivalry but the interviews were all in Japanese.

Oh. Heated Japanese stuff huh? So did it go like this?

Japanese dudes bow to each other, but don't bow as low as usual. Crowd gasps! Interviewer is slightly uneasy...
Interviewer begins:
"Ohyao Gozai Mas oh venerable warriors of the K-1 to be interviewed! Now to interview HAI!"
"Takeru-sama how will you be able to defeat your honerable opponent?"
Taki responds "I will do my best with my kicks and I think because of my conditioning I will be able to outlast my opponent's very strong attacks and luckily prevail."
"How do you respond oh beloved warrior Kaito of the great Nihon-Jin!?!?"
"Ah yes, hes conditioning is good to be sure, but in my opinion, I will win for attacking even though his conditioning is good and he will last the whole fight! HAI!"
"Um did you say his conditioning is only good and not VERY good or great!?! oh honorable-san Kaito san?!?!?!?"
"Oh I apologise it is very good! Gomen Nasai!!! But...."
The interviewer cringes and looks outright scared "But what oh awesomess of awesomes Kaito-san-sama?!?!
"I.......... I ........ will defeat my opponent decisively. Gomen nasai for saying it!"
Crowd is silent. Interviewer looks down as if the government just imprisoned his child.
"I am sorry for being dishonored. We will fight on the day and settle this. Thank you for fight me!" says Taki
"Yes fight we will HAI! Thank you more!"
"No I thank you more!"
"NOOO THANK YOU!!!!"
Fighters bow and walk off and interviewer gets composure.
"such heated exchange! Surely there will be great fight on day of fightday! Perhaps seppuku for looser!

Back