Why is beef jerky so f@?king expensive?

What are your favorite brands and flavours fellas?

Cow is a HW division,that's why!
Why is pig meat called "pork",and cow meat called "beef".Why not pig or cow meat?
i don't follow the point, but this was all decided prior to the marketing of expensive jerky. google can solve the mystery for you.

Because the people who make it are jerks.

It's the pillar of working out

It uses really lean meat, which is expensive. It also goes through an aging process, is relatively labor intensive. It's not as cheap or easy to make as potato chips, or other snacks, hence the price disparity.

It is super easy to make nowadays with one of these.
345px-Cs-sfd-Jerky-on-dehydrator.jpg

fruit1.jpg

Im going to be doing some elk jerky later today and maybe trying to make one of these natural fruit roll up things.

And the best thing is how quick and easy the clean up is.

But ya, its not cheap.

the best thing I've done so far is my Jerk Chicken seasoned Sliced Turkey Breast Jerk. I took some into work and the people who like jerk went wild for it saying it was the best they had ever had.

I don't know why so many are saying its so labour intensive. It is really relatively simple. The only real time consuming thing is cutting the meat into strips. I have a bunch of dry rubs I use for my bbq which you can apply in an instant and in it goes, or as I said above use my jerk chicken seasoning.

I find the process of making Jerky less labour intense than most regular cooking particularly because the clean up is so easy.

Maybe it's a labor intensive manufacturing process? You can't expect to buy stuff just for cost of ingredients when all sorts of other costs are incurred to make it and ship it and market it, etc.

It's because the beef is dehydrated, which removes tons of weight. Look at how much you're paying per gram of protein and it's not too much more than normal beef. It's more, but not as bad it as it seems.

Last edited:
It's so expensive in the UK (relevant to what you get)

When I was in Vegas I couldn't get over the size of the bags you guys get for what like 3.50?
I bought tons of it haha
50gram bags in the Uk can be 3 pounds in places

I read on iPad News that there's an overwhelming amount of food fraud in China where you could very well be eating dead rat thinking it's lamb.

Maybe the cheap beef jerky is actually something else.

Years ago, jerky was made from meat that didn't sell. Now the meat that doesn't sell is ground up for burger. The burger that doesn't sell is made into sausage along with the pork and chicken.

What are your favorite brands and flavours fellas?
I dont know the brand but i bought some from a truck stop in Nevada once that was orange flavored (think chinese orange chicken) and it was amazing

i seem to remember it being cheap and then one day it seemed really expensive

not like gallons of milk which have remained vitually the same price since as long as i can remember

As much as I love beef, I usually avoid buying beef jerky, or steak at restaurants, it's just too expensive. Especially at resurants, a little steak is like $17 bucks.

Back