Why is beef jerky so f@?king expensive?

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Is it filet meat or something? And why do they put one oz in a bag that could hold 10 ozs? Enlighten me sherbros

Cause they know people are to lazy to make their own, so they market the hell out of it.
If they put the jerkey in a smaller bag, and still charge $6+ no one would buy it

Cow is a HW division,that's why!
Why is pig meat called "pork",and cow meat called "beef".Why not pig or cow meat?

A few of my friends make their own to bring overseas...the beef cost alone is quite high to make a decent amount.

It uses really lean meat, which is expensive. It also goes through an aging process, is relatively labor intensive. It's not as cheap or easy to make as potato chips, or other snacks, hence the price disparity.

Lol amazing, I was just wondering this myself. It adds up to $16 a lb or more.

Lol amazing, I was just wondering this myself. It adds up to $16 a lb or more.
Whis is probably around 3-5 lbs of raw beef. Not to mention the spices, labor and time to make them.

It usually adds up to over $30/ lb. It's expensive to make

GOAT snack food of all time behind trail mix

Anything labor intensive is gonna cost money

1. Labor intensive
2. Time consuming
3. Uses a lot of raw beef. Takes probably double the weight in raw beef to make one of those half empty bags.

Have you ever made your own? The meat alone is pretty expensive. As for the bag, I would think it is because having fewer bag sizes enables you to buy in bulk and save money. Why have a 1oz, 4oz, 8oz, and 16oz bag when you can cover multiple bases with one size? You buy more bags, at a much lower cost, and also have uniformity in your displays.

Yeah, I know a guy who used to make his own. It was great - much better than store - but crazy expensive, too. Like $30 to produce 1lb 10 years ago.

I make my own so I known the meat is quality.

I only buy London broil or just too round but I wait till it goes on sale for $2.99 a lb sometime $3.99 a lb. I have the butcher at Safeway slice it also. All the spices (I make peppered or terryaki) I buy in bulk from Amazon.

You lose about 55% of the weight during the drying process. I have a dehydrator with 15sq ft of drying space. Takes about 4 hours to finish

I also have a scale to weigh the final product. I can make 1lb for $10 when I get the meat at $2.99 a lb.

Also because the butcher slices it for me I would not call it labor intensive for me. At the current thickness I am using I can get about 2.25 to 2.5lbs out of the machine each batch.

The one problem with making your own is your jaw starts to hurt from eating so much

Last edited:
Also because the butcher slices it for me I would not call it labor intensive for

drool.gif

One time obertos were on sale for 4.99 I bought every flavor available . Ended up buying like 10 of them.

Back