Why is 80s music so well liked

Pferd

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I read on a Wikipedia article that in a poll taken on which decade had the best music the 1980s came in first
Place. In numerous conversations ive had with different people about music many of them revered 80s music. Why do you think 80s music is so well liked?

The 80s was all about hair meddle and music you could dance to.
We're in a similar point right

A blend of futurism and romanticism. A romantic future. There was something for everyone.

My Go-Go's station on Pandora gets me through the day.

It's funny, because in the 90s everyone trashed 80s music. A big part of the Seattle rock scene was the rejection of the hair metal shit in the 80s.

Then you got to the 00s and every indie band was trying to sound like Depeche Mode or The Cure.

Popular bands in the 70s rode the momentum into the 80s with extensive tours and/or lots of radio time (ACDC, Aerosmith, Eagles, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, ZZ Top, Tom Petty, Clapton, Rolling Stones).

Rock bands that blew up mainstream wise where very good (Dire Straits, Van Halen, The Police, Def Leppard, Guns n Roses, U2).

Metal music started a huge upward swing in the 80s (Metallica, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Anthrax).

Pop Music which is a fucking LAUGHING STOCK now a days was actually respectable in the 80s (Duran Duran, Whitney Houston, David Bowie, Journey, Michael Jackson, The Cars). Even cheesy shit like Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, and Tina Turner is 10x better then fucking Katy Perry, Spice Girls, Britney Spears, and Taylor Swift

TLDR: Most 70s groups continued success into the 80s, pop musicians actually had REAL talent, new rock bands kicked ass, and metal started to boom

Last edited:
I have no idea. I think it just goes in phases. In the 90's and early 2000's, 80's music and general culture were a fuckin' joke. Considered the lamest shit ever. Now it's back in style.

*shrugs*

It's funny, because in the 90s everyone trashed 80s music. A big part of the Seattle rock scene was the rejection of the hair metal shit in the 80s.

Then you got to the 00s and every indie band was trying to sound like Depeche Mode or The Cure.
Better to sound like the Cure and DM than Pearl Jam clone #400.

It was more of the attitude that 80s music was seen as "gay" because of the synth pop and the Smiths having a big gay following. In modern times, its more acceptable and tolerant without the homophobic stigma attached. Its funny because Grunge music was supposed to be the antithesis to machismoism which Kurt Cobain rejected. He really hated the jocks that flock to his music since they use to beat him up

Last edited:
I have no idea. I think it just goes in phases. In the 90's and early 2000's, 80's music and general culture were a fuckin' joke. Considered the lamest shit ever. Now it's back in style.

*shrugs*

I went to high school in the early 2000's and thought I remembered a renewed interest in 80's pop culture.

nostalgia I think. Plus the production was more modern . lots of catchy songs too.

The best Depeche Mode stuff is from the 90s tho.

I went to high school in the early 2000's and thought I remembered a renewed interest in 80's pop culture.

Perhaps. I just got out at around that time, so maybe it started around then. I just remember in my teens, when most people thought of the 80's, it was jogging pants, spandex, big hair, shitty music, and general lameness. I'm sure it had a lot to do with every generation thinking it was better than the last though.

I've come around too though. I think the 80's, if for nothing else, was a very unique era. I don't perceive the music to be as terrible as I once thought it was either. At least some of it. Hair metal is still awful.

I remember being that guy and my brother-in-law (from U.K.) replying, aghast, "The 80s were brilliant!!!!".

Last edited:
Trends move in circles. I remember everyone being crazy about 70's rock back in the early 2000's (Remember Jet and the Strokes?), and a good deal of 90's alt-rock (Oasis, Stone Roses, etc.) was heavily rooted in 60's rock and experimentation (the sounds of the Beetles in particular); not to mention the James Dean and Marilyn Monroe fetishists from the 80's.

Expect the 90's to become the prevailing nostalgic trend as we move closer to the end of the decade. The boy bands will rise again!

The best Depeche Mode stuff is from the 90s tho.
Are you just talking about Violator or you including or you including Songs of Faith & Devotion and Ultra? SOFAD was really one of their worse albums

Trends move in circles. I remember everyone being crazy about 70's rock back in the early 2000's (Remember Jet and the Strokes?), and a good deal of 90's alt-rock (Oasis, Stone Roses, etc.) was heavily rooted in 60's rock and experimentation (the sounds of the Beetles in particular); not to mention the James Dean and Marilyn Monroe fetishists from the 80's.

Expect the 90's to become the prevailing nostalgic trend as we move closer to the end of the decade. The boy bands will rise again!

I remember when everyone used to hate 80's music.

Back