Why is 80s music so well liked

40somethings are inclined to give opinions on their formative years and their experiences thereof.

80s music was terrible.

Early 30's somethings inclined to feel uncomfortable that the music they grew up with is now out of fashion? ;)

Honestly I'm rather inbetween the two camps, old enough to have grown up with a lot of 80''s stuff but young enough to have gotten more seriously into music in the early/mid 90's.

cuz back then you can get girls playing guitar unlike today

also before the internet came in and stole their music and money

cuz back then you can get girls playing guitar unlike today

also before the internet came in and stole their music and money

Mostly obviously talking about the technical details of playing guitar as many men who are into them tend to focus on does not attract most women. It is a bit of a cliché but honestly I find selling photography I end up talking about technical details with men and art with women with the latter more likely to actually buy something.

During the 80s, you saw MTV get popular. Music videos started to take priority over the music itself, considering our world was getting more and more picture driven. Slowly, but really hard to spot, the quality dropped. All the grunge bands in the 90s did was accurately assess over this fact, and nobody seemed to notice grunge was shit, because it wasn't what came before. Mudhoney, the Melvins, and a few others were the only good ones.

Early 30's somethings inclined to feel uncomfortable that the music they grew up with is now out of fashion? ;)

Honestly I'm rather inbetween the two camps, old enough to have grown up with a lot of 80''s stuff but young enough to have gotten more seriously into music in the early/mid 90's.

I'm in my early 30's and grew up during the 90s and I like 80s music more . there was some good music and bands such as tool ,STP ,Alice and chains and pantera.also i believe black and death metal began to mature in the 90s .on the other hand you had a lot of shitty bands like nirvana, pearl jam, and rage against the machine. You also had the gay ass boy band music. For me its not even close though 80's all the way. Never expected this to turn into a 80s
Vs 90s trend .lol

Here's to hoping actual rock music makes a nostalgic comeback here soon.

Heres hoping the posthardcore-esque era is coming to an end. A few year ago a mate asked me to listen to his friends band. I was impressed but I asked why dont they sing instead of screaming and breakdowns....Some of these bands are talented but they all sound the exact same...

Last edited:

Goat song from the 80s or maybe not. My parents were 21 when that came out and I can assure you they have never heard of it.

Not keen on any of WASPs other songs.

Last edited:
First one's a cover but you can't reference the 80s without tina turner's sax man.

If you can't find good 80's music, then you're looking where everybody told you to.

"now you do what they told you"

There was too much variety in the 80s for one thread to contain.

Last edited:
That's the 1987 re-recording of "red skies" with a little more intense guitar.

It's also shortened for the video meaning you can find a longer one out there.

I discovered the Fixx when they opened for "flock of seaguls" and I came away changed in my appreciation for cool guitar playing that I saw from both groups.

Further research into cool and underappreciated guitar parts yielded gems from "happy mondays", "roxy music", early U2, and even that guy from Mr Mister who played some really cool stuff.

The original Wrote For Luck remains my favourite Mondays track...

the 80s were a simpler..happier time.

Paul Oakenfold did a remix of "wrote for luck" that was so good that the Happy Mondays had him produce and mix their next album "pills, thrills, and bellyaches" and it is known as one of the finest madchester albums ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back