Why hasn't there been another Mike Tyson?

I am not quite understanding why there hasn't been another HW with Mike Tyson's style. Patterson and Tyson both were able to become heavyweight champions at a very young age. Tyson came into boxing relatively late. Floyd started boxing at 14 and was champion by the time he was 20. It seems like a style that if someone is athletic enough, they can do very well with relatively little training. Is the style just that demanding that there are very few athletic enough to pull it off?
Because there are no Cus D'Amato anymore.

Are you serious or just fucking dumb? There are tons of 2-sport elite athletes who play both football and basketball with some even converting from one to the other to go pro. There are a bunch of college basketball players turned NFL players. Look at LeBron James, he was a beast football talent in high school and could have played D1 football wherever he wanted and likely NFL but obviously chose basketball. Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, etc all played basketball in college then converted to NFL, with tons more playing both in high school. I would even wager that the majority of elite football players either play basketball or wrestle in the winter.

Maybe you are not american or just fucking stupid but football and basketball are 2 different seasons in US high school
Ya all 3 of them really equates to "a bunch".

No, there arent you can. Stick to D1 wrestling.

Last edited:
exactly. wherever you think he stands in the GOAT HW rankings, one can't deny that a prime Tyson was perhaps the most physically talented HW boxer to ever strap a pair of gloves on. And the reason that not many people can emulate his style is because it takes a certain kind of fighter to properly execute peek a boo and Tyson was literally created for that style.
No hw has ever even come close to his level of speed and power. It was absurd.

I am not quite understanding why there hasn't been another HW with Mike Tyson's style. Patterson and Tyson both were able to become heavyweight champions at a very young age. Tyson came into boxing relatively late. Floyd started boxing at 14 and was champion by the time he was 20. It seems like a style that if someone is athletic enough, they can do very well with relatively little training. Is the style just that demanding that there are very few athletic enough to pull it off?

Tyson's compact speed and power is not something I've seen in a heavyweight since. The way he could pivot his massive upper and lower body around the spinal axis to land power shots was mechanical and brutal and precise. For all his physical gifts, it was his technique that was so on point when he was at his apex. You could give thanks to Cus D'Amato, but Tyson needed to work hard to learn and execute what he was being taught. Tyson's defense was also extremely underrated. There has not been another heavyweight with his physical gifts (I might argue Alvarez reminds me of Tyson, physically, in many ways, more than anyone else of recent note, though smaller), and there has not been another trainer as innovative as D'Amato in some time (not for a heavyweight anyway). But hopefully there will be soon.

Tough style to master and very unforgiving if you slip up. Aggressive styles generally don't have long careers either.

Joe Louis.
Think hes a couple steps back on the speed department but ya thats probably as close as it gets. I love the way Louis would let those hands fly when he had them hurt.

A 5'10" wrecking ball isn't what most people aspire to be. They will cut and fight at a smaller weight.

My opinion on this topic is biased after reading this, bahahhahas that's awesome the way it's put.

did Tyson ever have to cut weight?

Tyson came along at a ripe time.80's were somewhat mediocre.He was a specimen though.
I am in the minority that says he could have beaten Ali(if Frazier knocked him down,Ty would have kept him there) but I never thought he stood a chance against Lewis.

Why have people let this discussion go full retard?

Back