Why hasn't there been another Mike Tyson?

Prefect

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I am not quite understanding why there hasn't been another HW with Mike Tyson's style. Patterson and Tyson both were able to become heavyweight champions at a very young age. Tyson came into boxing relatively late. Floyd started boxing at 14 and was champion by the time he was 20. It seems like a style that if someone is athletic enough, they can do very well with relatively little training. Is the style just that demanding that there are very few athletic enough to pull it off?

Spectacular specimens don't come out often. It is rare to birth such sapiens. They will come.

A 5'10" wrecking ball isn't what most people aspire to be. They will cut and fight at a smaller weight.

I am not quite understanding why there hasn't been another HW with Mike Tyson's style. Patterson and Tyson both were able to become heavyweight champions at a very young age. Tyson came into boxing relatively late. Floyd started boxing at 14 and was champion by the time he was 20. It seems like a style that if someone is athletic enough, they can do very well with relatively little training. Is the style just that demanding that there are very few athletic enough to pull it off?
Did you not witness the RR era ?

Because Tyson was a generational athletic specimen with fucking absurd abilities.

There isn't really anyone around to teach the style from the ground up. Tyson and Patterson didn't fight the way they did just because. They were taught an entire system of fighting by Cus.

It's pretty much the same reason guys like Broner and Berto get belted trying to use Floyd's style. They weren't taught the system and all of it's answers to what one would see by people that can actually teach it.

Tyson was born with talent and coached by a great man. He was also highly disciplined and dedicated as he was coming up the ranks. The young Tyson could generate 1,000+ pounds per punch. He used his lower body (legs) and upper body to punch. Pound per pound Tyson was one of the best heavyweight punchers. 58 fights, 44 wins by KOs usually within the first round. Pretty amazing! I believe after Cus D'Amato (trainer) died, Mike Tyson began his downward spiral. D’Amato was his anchor and a father figure.

Tyson was created by a perfect storm

Great genetics and great coaching

Rarely do both come together

It's not true at all that the style took less time to develop. If anything it relies on strict fundamentals more than most styles.

I thought Tyson did a lot of training.

He never graduated from school (did he go to school?)

He lived in a boxing training center.

He tried out for the Olympics at 16.

His coach raised him.

He lived, breathed, ate the sport.

Then he went pro...and did quite well.

Only onthe in a lifetime can we witneth thuch athletic proweth.

Same reason there hasn't been another Muhammad Ali.

Perfect harmonization of mentor archetype and willing student with tremendous ability. What Cus taught well and what Tyson was built to do meant that something special could happen - however brief that turned out to be.

A similar, but more open question should be: who were the champions that applied their body type to the best of their ability, were guided by a true sage, and through a combination of these things, were able to become dominant fighters? We should never seek to find one fighter within another, but rather seek to find the true nature of a fighter within himself.

The general principles are there and we then see other names pop up: Cus D'Amato with Mike Tyson, Manny Steward with Lennox Lewis and Wladimir Klitschko, Freddie Roach with Manny Pacquiao, etc.

What is interesting about Mile Tyson is his love for pigeons prior to boxing. I would not expect such aggression from someone who raised pigeons as a hobby. That’s how he got into his first fight, over a dead pigeon.

Cus D’Amato used to say: “Boxing is 25% physical and 75% mental.

At his best, Tyson combined speed and power. Often, he was right on the other man before the poor fellow quite knew what was happening, such as when he crushed Marvis Frazier in 30 seconds. It also helped that Tyson intimidated many of his opponents to the point that they were ready to be knocked out before a punch was thrown (Michael Spinks, Alex Stewart and Bruce Seldon in particular). When Tyson knocked out Spinks in 91 seconds in 1988 he truly looked unbeatable.

Last edited:

because they are playing football or basketball. The NFL is chock full of 5'10" power balls built just like tyson with more power and speed and explosion

1024x1024.jpg

just one of many. Robert Turbin 5'10" 220, 4.44s 40 yard dash, 23x225 on bench. Considered a below average RB in the NFL. Imagine a dude like that with freak genetics had he been in the same training as tyson

Last edited:
It is a lot like Buddhism. Cus was like the Panchen Lama who was able to find Tyson, the equivlent to the Dalai Lama. Now Tyson has to find the next great trainer, Panchen Lama, who in turn, will find the next Tyson, Dalai Lama.

Unfortunately, China has since kidnapped the current Panchen Lama, which has disrupted the natural flow in all of its contexts. ISIS is around for the same reason we do not have a current Tyson.

It is a lot like Buddhism. Cus was like the Panchen Lama who was able to find Tyson, the equivlent to the Dalai Lama. Now Tyson has to find the next great trainer, Panchen Lama, who in turn, will find the next Tyson, Dalai Lama.

Unfortunately, China has since kidnapped the current Panchen Lama, which has disrupted the natural flow in all of its contexts. ISIS is around for the same reason we do not have a current Tyson.

I was just writing this, then saw you beat me to it.

Back