Why do the Gracies have big egos?

To cover up insecurities about their small penises?

Royce mad all their heads bigger, even his own. I mean I respect their contributions to MMA but they act like they are all better then everyone probably because having the last name gracie gives everyone the assumption of you being an amazing fighter when they are just BJJ practitioners. Royce is lucky that Hughes decided to TKO him instead of subbing him
Royce would have never tapped. Egotist or not, one tough sob.

If I had a Gracie lineage I would be trying to submit every goddamn person I ran into.

Just for fun. Because I could.

LOL they made something? they adopted something from japan is more accurate
It's the same thing the creator of Judo did. He took techniques from Jujutsu, it was called Kano Jiu-jitsu in the beginning. You're just anti-brazilian. Show me something in Japan that looks exactly like the current BJJ, if nothing changed.

Royce mad all their heads bigger, even his own. I mean I respect their contributions to MMA but they act like they are all better then everyone probably because having the last name gracie gives everyone the assumption of you being an amazing fighter when they are just BJJ practitioners. Royce is lucky that Hughes decided to TKO him instead of subbing him
I dont think you understand what happened before UFC 1. The Gracies had an open door challenge. Anyone can walk in the door and fight them any day of the week. So guys could train specifically to fight the Gracies, walk in with the Gracies not knowing anything about them and one of them had to step up and fight them. Fuck. You need to have balls of steal to wake up and go to the gym everyday. You have to build a confidence that no matter what is around the corner you will be fine.

Think about that rather that MMA that has a bunch of rules and is far from a real fight.

Last edited:
Rickson always seemed like a genuinely good person to me. A person with a massive ego would have never been able to humble himself enough to absorb techniques developed by someone who was ten years old when Rickson was choking people out in professional fights.

Have you ever trained with them or met them personally?

Although they do get into a lot of conflicts, every one of them I've ever met or trained with was SUPER nice in person.

Just sayin.

Everyone says that about every famous person who wasn't an absolute dick to them.

first this

Rolles_Gracie_vs._Derrick_Mehmen.gif

then Ronda got KO'd and they refused Gracie Breakdown.

They need someone to bully ASAP!

But seriously Rickson showed mercy on Nakai, that showed he is the one decent one

I dont think you understand what happened before UFC 1. The Gracies had an open door challenge. Anyone can walk in the door and fight them any day of the week. Do guys could train specifically to fight these guys l, walk in with the Gracies not knowing anything about them and one of them had to step up and fight them. Fuck. You need to have balls of steal to wake up and go to the gym everyday. You have to build a confidence that no matter what is around the corner you will be fine.

Think about that rather that MMA that has a bunch of rules and is far from a real fight.

You are buying into the Gracie mythos, much of which is bullshit and marketing.

http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/126442885/
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/whats-brazilian-about-brazilian-jiu-jitsu.3454237/

They were no longer the baddest motherfuckers by that point.
They never were. They were a one-trick pony, kind of like Honda with her judo trip to armbar that "no can defend". Until someone can and wrecks her because she's not good at anything else.

I wouldn't say they appear to have big egos. More like feeling a lot of pride, and justifiably so.

That turned into a pun I did not intend. ;)

Let me ask you something, are you guys saying that there's no difference between the current BJJ and before Maeda. focusing more on ground work than throws. focusing less on strength, The same philosophy? Berimbolos? X-guards and those fancy guards they have?
if modern BJJ fighters trained this system before it came to Brazil they would look the same? It's this what you guys are claiming?
And what difference does it make if they learned from Donato Pires or whatever or directly from Maeda anyways?

If it's just about techniques, wouldn't this make almost all arts be just a copy of something older?

Just watch this and you will understand....

Let me ask you something, are you guys saying that there's no difference between the current BJJ and before Maeda. focusing more on ground work than throws. focusing less on strength, The same philosophy? Berimbolos? X-guards and those fancy guards they have?
if modern BJJ fighters trained this system before it came to Brazil they would look the same? It's this what you guys are claiming?
And what difference does it make if they learned from Donato Pires or whatever or directly from Maeda anyways?

If it's just about techniques, wouldn't this make almost all arts be just a copy of something older?

Different people maybe saying different things in there. All I'm saying, is BJJ doesn't originate with the Gracies.

Even in Brazil, it predates the Gracies. It was a naturally evolving scene that was already there, and yes, it was evolving. Its the Gracies that added their spin to it, not me. Most of Helio's claims are bullshit as well. As pointed out by others in the thread, he wasn't this small and fragile guy, most of his Japanese opponents/mentors were smaller than him. I'm not even claiming they "stole" their art from Maeda, because evidence points to the fact that they didn't even know Maeda, but it was part of their marketing gimmick kind of like Tarvaryan's WBC "International" MT title. So ask the Gracies why they decided to lie about their Maeda connections, not me. They were a natural part of the evolution and development, but their revisionism and opportunism meant creating these modern day "legend" and all the politics and bullshit that went with it.

How mature.

Relevant to the topic title, however. <{Ray3}>
You read an article and I have hung out with a lot of them. You post an article with no first hand experience
How mature.

Relevant to the topic title, however. <{Ray3}>
So you read an article and spread it around like the gospel? While I have hung out, trained, traveled with some of the Gracies and have seen first hand how humble they are but I'm buying into a myth? ??

Not sure where your agenda comes from but unless you have a real life experience as to why they have egos or why it's just marketing or why they are a big myth then reading an article isn't going to prove your agenda cause it's not your it's the author of the article

Back