Why do sherdoggers praise NFL and NBA guys for being "A level athletes"

His name is Bob Sapp. He got kicked out of the NFL for PEDs and was 6'4 350 lbs shredded with 6-pack.

He fought in Japan lot. He holds multiple wins over the GOAT #1 kickboxer Ernesto Hoost and almost killed, though lost, Big Nog, the #2 MMA HW. All just because he was really big.
To be fair, most NFL players aren't 350 pounds with abs. The vast majority of 300+ NFL guys, powerlifters, and strongman carry a lot of fat at the weight.

He was amazing to see though before he lost his soul. Though you can't deny that Cro Cop and Fujita whipped him and that was before he purposely became a can.

The drug testing is more relaxed in the the NFL and NBA. So, they'd have better athletes because of PEDs alone.

But it's not just that.

The best athletes from the most athletic country on the planet go into NFL and NBA. Then they get the PEDs. The result is that F-level natural UFC fighters aren't even close to being real athletes.

They're more like carpet sweepers. Their social status and bank account balances reflect that: carpet cleaner.
Why is the US the most athletic country? The most athletic athletes from most nations on earth go to soccer. Basketball is far bigger than football too.

This comment will be buried because it's so far deep in this thread but I'll make it anyways.

Allow me to introduce you to the first pick in the 2017 NFL draft, Myles Garrett. He stands 6'5, 265 pounds of pure athletic explosion.

Garrett will probably go to the Cleveland Browns which is historically the worst team in football and they will probably have a losing record for another two or three years even while he is on the roster. In that time span, he will make more money off of endorsements alone then he would potentially make in his first five fights in the UFC heavyweight division. And then when he is up for a new contract he will routinely make around $15 million a year over a six year span on top of his endorsement deals which will only continue to pile up. He will also face much less stringent drug testing policies.

The UFC cannot and might not ever offer him that kind of money. The heavyweight division historically and MMA has never been the real draw so there isn't really even the type of possibility that he could make Conor McGregor money.

The UFC will simply never draw high-end NFL level athletes especially the big guys. If they could then someone with the genetic gifts like Miles Garrett or JJ Watt or Von Miller or Khalil Mack would start out from a young age in the sport of MMA and would grow up to be the most freakish fighting machines that you or any other comic book writer could ever imagine.

That is all.

Yea but I really doubt many pro basketball players could stand in a ring and beat the shit out or get the shit beat out of them. They flop and cry when they get touched which is fine because it way it is played but I do not think getting punched in the face is there thing. Boxing has had amazing athletes come into it when the money goes up I am sure MMA will also have some more come in.
True but heart and athleticism are two different things. I agree with you though NBA in today's era lack the toughness it use to have. I want to see Prime Dennis Rodman vs Ben Wallace in an MMA match.

This comment will be buried because it's so far deep in this thread but I'll make it anyways.

Allow me to introduce you to the first pick in the 2017 NFL draft, Myles Garrett. He stands 6'5, 265 pounds of pure athletic explosion.

Garrett will probably go to the Cleveland Browns which is historically the worst team in football and they will probably have a losing record for another two or three years even while he is on the roster. In that time span, he will make more money off of endorsements alone then he would potentially make in his first five fights in the UFC heavyweight division. And then when he is up for a new contract he will routinely make around $15 million a year over a six year span on top of his endorsement deals which will only continue to pile up. He will also face much less stringent drug testing policies.

The UFC cannot and might not ever offer him that kind of money. The heavyweight division historically and MMA has never been the real draw so there isn't really even the type of possibility that he could make Conor McGregor money.

The UFC will simply never draw high-end NFL level athletes especially the big guys. If they could then someone with the genetic gifts like Miles Garrett or JJ Watt or Von Miller or Khalil Mack would start out from a young age in the sport of MMA and would grow up to be the most freakish fighting machines that you or any other comic book writer could ever imagine.

That is all.

Hopefully in the future this changes. Boxing used to get a lot of good talent in the U.S. before the 90s so I don't see why MMA can't in 50 years or so if it keeps on growing. A man can dream.

And their sports don't showcase the full range of athletic ability like MMA?

Oh right, white America loves them some BBC.

That should be "White Americans love to watch some BBC." What was the intended significance of prefacing that statement with "Oh right..."? At best it comes across as superfluous and at worst it just comes across as nonsensical.

As a white American I don't particularly like to watch the BBC but I have nothing against it. Perhaps if all colors of Americans watched more of the BBC, our language wouldn't be in such a poor state. For example, the nightly news that airs on the three major networks has never been aimed at a less educated audience. If you were to watch a few hours of the news program in which Walter Cronkite was the anchor and compare the vocabulary used to the vocabulary used by the news on any of the major networks, you'd find a striking difference in the size of the vocabulary used by Walter Cronkite compared to the size of the vocabulary used by the news anchors of today.

His name is Bob Sapp. He got kicked out of the NFL for PEDs and was 6'4 350 lbs shredded with 6-pack.

He fought in Japan lot. He holds multiple wins over the GOAT #1 kickboxer Ernesto Hoost and almost killed, though lost, Big Nog, the #2 MMA HW. All just because he was really big.
I can't think of many NFL guys who are 350ish pounds but lean aswell who can also run a 40 yard dash in 4.9 seconds or bench press over 600 pounds.
None for sure have years of mma and kickboxing training like Sapp did.
Hoost was Sapp's only impressive win and he only won because of cheating and a corrupt Ref, after that he lost to everyone including welterweight bums.

A Level athlete would only need a Sunday boxercise class and could be champion of the world in a few weeks.

When they all are on PEDs too...?

There's big money and a big feeder system feeding the NFL and NBA with top tier athletes. Kids grow up wanting to be Lebron, Peterson, etc... and they want that $120M over 5 years. That's big money and a big motivation for top tier athletes to stick with a sport in high school and college. Meanwhile, MMA fighters make less than $5M a year to get punched in the face, and that's the top tier of earnings potential. Several top tier MMA fighters have been washouts from other sports-- Aldo, Lesnar, etc, the reason those guys went to MMA instead of soccer/basketball/football is that they couldn't cut it there.

Once salaries in MMA reach that level, you'll see "top tier" athletes drawn to the sport. Until then, most of them will continue to be highly skilled, hard working B-level athletes, or A-level athletes who didn't have the skill to make it in A-level paygrade sports. You already see this to some extent, with guys who excel at Football and Basketball choosing to go into the NBA vs NFL because of the higher comparative salaries at their positions (only QBs make $25M/yr, versus many NBA positions).

Imagine if there was that much money in MMA and feeder systems... you'd have guys dreaming of being fighters from 5 yrs old, and you'd end up with the best of the best athletes ending up in the sport, choosing to pursue combat sports over baskteball or football. It's a real thing-- money talks.

And it's laughable when people say soccer players are better athletes because of the larger talent pool. LeBron could've been born on any country on earth and would have been elite at any sport available to him (barring manlet sports like jockey or gymnastics). German LeBron would be GOAT goalie, Indian LeBron would be GOAT cricket batsman, Aussie LeBron GOAT rugby tackle, Japanese LeBron GOAT judoka, and so on. Guys like Messi would never even hit a fastball, let alone shoot over a 7 foot center.

Oh man, this made me chuckle for many, many reasons.

That should be "White Americans love to watch some BBC." What was the intended significance of prefacing that statement with "Oh right..."? At best it comes across as superfluous and at worst it just comes across as nonsensical.

As a white American I don't particularly like to watch the BBC but I have nothing against it. Perhaps if all colors of Americans watched more of the BBC, our language wouldn't be in such a poor state. For example, the nightly news that airs on the three major networks has never been aimed at a less educated audience. If you were to watch a few hours of the news program in which Walter Cronkite was the anchor and compare the vocabulary used to the vocabulary used by the news on any of the major networks, you'd find a striking difference in the size of the vocabulary used by Walter Cronkite compared to the size of the vocabulary used by the news anchors of today.

A decent rebuttal.

That is all.
I am not american, so i don't watch your team sports, but please explain to me why this 6,5 265 lbs NFL young NFL guy should be a better mma prospect then a guy like Curtis Blaydes who actually has a legit wrestling background?

Also, comparing the running speed of football players and the jump height of NBA players to mma fighters it's dumb, that's what those athletes do for a living.
No shit NFL players can bench press a lot and can run fast, that's their sport and they train for that.

That is all.

Garrett's a little small for Defensive End, ain't he? I guess he's still a kid and has room to grow, and I won't deny the speed, but I can see him getting stuffed by some of the monster tackles in the pros. Time will tell, I guess.

I am not american, so i don't watch your team sports, but please explain to me why this 6,5 265 lbs NFL young NFL guy should be a better mma prospect then a guy like Curtis Blaydes who actually has a legit wrestling background?

Also, comparing the running speed of football players and the jump height of NBA players to mma fighters it's dumb, that's what those athletes do for a living.
No shit NFL players can bench press a lot and can run fast, that's their sport and they train for that.

Okay well let's start here. You would agree that someone who is tremendously athletic and skilled will have a easier time of things then someone who Isn't, no? So a guy like Francis Ngannou who hasn't even been training very long is already wrecking shit because he is such a physical freak.

I'm sure Curtis Claydes is a great prospect but the fact of the matter is, other high-end sports like football specifically will get the majority of the freak athletes. So if a guy like Myles sees from a young age that he is really gifted athletically and decided to train in mixed martial arts instead of football, not only would he possess insane athletic abilities but he would also have the proper technique and training on top of that. He would be the type of person that could be almost unstoppable if he added in years of training on top of physical gifts that your average everyday person just isn't born with.

Those type of athletes aren't incentivized as much by MMA as they are with football. So like I said he could make a ton of money for a losing team whereas he might lose a fight or two in the octagon and his next contract won't be anywhere near what it would be otherwise.

Hope that explanation helped.

Garrett's a little small for Defensive End, ain't he? I guess he's still a kid and has room to grow, and I won't deny the speed, but I can see him getting stuffed by some of the monster tackles in the pros. Time will tell, I guess.

You're not wrong actually LOL. He went up against a left tackle named Cam Robinson in college and didn't do that great. But it was mainly just a technique thing. That's why this dude is such a prospect because even though he doesn't necessarily weigh as much as you would like him to, he still dominates and makes offensive lineman look slow and overmatched. His first step is ridiculously quick.

So yes he is a freak now but once he puts on some weight and develops an inside spin move he will be damn near unstoppable. That's why he is the consensus 1 overall pick.

Too bad the poor bastard has to go to the Browns :(

Okay well let's start here. You would agree that someone who is tremendously athletic and skilled will have a easier time of things then someone who Isn't, no? So a guy like Francis Ngannou who hasn't even been training very long is already wrecking shit because he is such a physical freak.

I'm sure Curtis Claydes is a great prospect but the fact of the matter is, other high-end sports like football specifically will get the majority of the freak athletes. So if a guy like Myles sees from a young age that he is really gifted athletically and decided to train in mixed martial arts instead of football, not only would he possess insane athletic abilities but he would also have the proper technique and training on top of that. He would be the type of person that could be almost unstoppable if he added in years of training on top of physical gifts that your average everyday person just isn't born with.

Those type of athletes aren't incentivized as much by MMA as they are with football. So like I said he could make a ton of money for a losing team whereas he might lose a fight or two in the octagon and his next contract won't be anywhere near what it would be otherwise.

Hope that explanation helped.

Articulately stated.
This has no business on Sherdog

NHL players are more complete athletes than any of the other major American sports... by quite a bit, really.
Nope nope nope nope nope

This post is the perfect example of "i like this sport more so its harder" insecurity

Hockey has close to no athletes these days

Here is the only question you need to ask yourself about athleticism

Can he cut it in another sport based on athleticism, not skills ?

If you think giant dudes who are agile, can sprint , jump like crazy are less athletic than guys who cant do those things but can skate (a skill) than you must be from Manitoba

Lol

A-level sports are football( also known as soccer for Americans), Formula 1 and Boxing

lmao...that must be why the soccer playing nations rule the Olympics. We are talking about the same sport where the guys writhe around on the ground like they were stabbed if someone's else breath so much as touches them, right?

Back