Why do sherdoggers praise NFL and NBA guys for being "A level athletes"

I think a heavy handed, tough fighter like Igor Vovchanchyn would be a nightmare for those guys.

It's not rocket science.

It's called money.

Everyone grows up wanting to play in the NBA/NFL for money which in turn breeds competition.

Who grows up wanting to be in the UFC?

Where does the majority of the talented players flock to then?

In your first paragraph you said "I don't believe the top levels of MMA have, as whole, reached the athletic heights of other leagues"
That's fair overall.
You listed some good examples so I can't argue strongly against. I think we both can agree the gap is getting closer.

On your second paragraph I'm not sure I understand your point.
I was trying to highlight the point (not effectively I will admit) at how quickly the sport has evolved. A better way to illustrate what I was referencing Is for example .
15 years ago, Rico Rodriguez was the heavyweight champ. Even in his prime, Rico would get handled by most of the guys in the division he was the champion of.

15 years ago WBC champ - Shane Moseley. NBA Star Tim Duncan . NFL MVP Kurt Warner
MLB- Barry Bonds. The best of their sport at the time, in their prime, could still operate at the highest level today because the competition hasn't surpassed their prime talent level yet.

Now, I concede this post may have some hyperbole and I'm cherry picking a little but you get my point.

If you're still reading, nice work . Imagine how tough it was for me typing all that shit on my phone.

You're right those guys would still be at the top of their sport, because those sports are already well developed with incredibly deep talent pools. Only the best of the best made the NBA 15 years ago, same as today. I think that actually hurts your point, because while MMA has for sure grown and evolved, the lack of athleticism across the board hasn't risen at a high rate comparatively. NBA players from 40 years ago would be lost today, same as Ricco in MMA. But I don't see how that really proves much, there's no debating MMA is growing and the talent pool is deeper now than around 2000, but BC the money still isn't comparable to other sports and MMA is still slightly a niche sport the athleticism hasn't taken a gigantic leap forward.

(I thought you were referring to guys like Brady in the NFL or Duncan in the NBA, guys that were competitive into their late 30s and 40s)

Pussy slam. Barely did anything to Fyodor. If that was Reggie White slamming Fyodor he would have killed Fyodor and then MMA would be out of business because it would be deemed too violent because a real athlete used real power to hurt someone.

If that was Reggie White he would have been knocked out in the first flurry.

I dunno about you guys but almost every sports team I've played on, city I've gone to, or place I've worked..... the most athletic guy there was very rarely the toughest guy in the room.

I dunno about you guys but almost every sports team I've played on, city I've gone to, or place I've worked..... the most athletic guy there was very rarely the toughest guy in the room.

This is irrelevant.

No it's not.

Being able to put a basketball in a net or hit a baseball does not mean you can fight.

You don't understand the argument so it's stupid to even bother talking to you.

But I will break it down so your UFC fanboy brain can understand it..

If Lebron James trained in MMA from a young age instead of how to put a ball into a hoop...

you get the picture now?

It's about talent. The discussion is about talent.

You don't understand the argument so it's stupid to even bother talking to you.

But I will break it down so your UFC fanboy brain can understand it..

If Lebron James trained in MMA from a young age instead of how to put a ball into a hoop...

you get the picture now?

It's about talent. The discussion is about talent.

No, that doesn't explain anything at all.

We have no idea how Lebron James would fare if he trained MMA his whole life.

It's funny that you are so sure of your alternate reality though.

Because it's cool to hate on MMA while being on an MMA forum.

No, that doesn't explain anything at all.

We have no idea how Lebron James would fare if he trained MMA his whole life.

It's funny that you are so sure of your alternate reality though.

If you ever played any sport in your life at a high level you will realise that if you are good at one you will be good at others...

It's always easy to identify the 6'4" fatso who's triggered by the idea that a "manlet" could kick his ass lmao. On a more serious note though, I don't see many of your 7' tall, 300 lb guys playing soccer, but do you deny that the world's top soccer players are genetically blessed? Ridiculous.
Actually I'm 6'2 215 right now. My problem with manlets is ever since Conor came around there has been a manlet revolution. You can't even walk into a gym with out bumping into one. And you didn't answer my question about if any of the 4 major sports in North America created leagues just for manlets would anyone care? But I will answer yours anyway, and soccer does not require real explosiveness or power other sports do. Are they good athletes? Definetly. But the stamina and technical skills required for soccer are more trained than gifted to you at birth. Also it doesn't hurt to have the ability to take a dive.(Grass ferrys). I'll also answer my own question for you and say if the NBA started a league just for manlets it would not even have the sucess that the WNBA did. Remember that lol?

It's the size of the athlete pool... Boxing, Football, etc have literally 10's of thousands of high school, college/university competitors. Only the best make it to the pro's. Compare that to MMA where you have either transitional athletes (most frequently amateur wrestlers) or those that get into some form of martial arts and move on to MMA and there is a huge disparity in the numbers.

NFL, NHL etc, are literally the best of the best out of 10's of thousands of competing athletes. MMA has never had anything close to that level of talent pool. Even boxing has vastly more amateur athletes than MMA does.

Part of this is driven by the olympics of course which is why so many mixed martial artists have a wrestling background.

Pretty much any guy can win a couple of tough guy competitions, beat up a couple of guys on the regional circuit and be considered a "Professional" mixed martial artist. Plenty of those found their way into the UFC. To make it in the major leagues in any of the big sports you literally have to be within the top fraction of a percent in skill and athletic ability.

MLB is C level at best. The average MLB player is less athletic than a tennis pro. Still miles beyond an mma fighter though.
Also take into account baseball plays 162 games a year. That I often a great divider of who makes it and the hot prospects who just get injured and fade away. In comparison Cain fights about once every 1000 days

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that both NBA and NFL players have become professional athletes in other sports. I love MMA but I don't think JBJ could play 48 minutes of nba basketball or Conor being able to play DB in the NFL or Woodley being able to play a forward in any pro soccer league. Also all sports tend to cater to specific athletic abilities that separates them from other athletes from other sports.

Yea but I really doubt many pro basketball players could stand in a ring and beat the shit out or get the shit beat out of them. They flop and cry when they get touched which is fine because it way it is played but I do not think getting punched in the face is there thing. Boxing has had amazing athletes come into it when the money goes up I am sure MMA will also have some more come in.

"toughness" isn't genetic...

nor are most ufc fighters "tough"

they may be good fighters but they are definitely not "tough" by any stretch of the imagination

these girls complain that jbj is trying to hurt them in the ring ffs or how they didn't train enough for a fight or other bs

pride sure but ufc definitely not

If you ever played any sport in your life at a high level you will realise that if you are good at one you will be good at others...

There's a difference between being "good" at most sports and being the best at those sports.

Alexander Karelin is the best Olympic wrestler ever..... but if he trained basketball since birth instead of wrestling, he'd be one of the best NBA basketball players ever....

amirite?

The drug testing is more relaxed in the the NFL and NBA. So, they'd have better athletes because of PEDs alone.

But it's not just that.

The best athletes from the most athletic country on the planet go into NFL and NBA. Then they get the PEDs. The result is that F-level natural UFC fighters aren't even close to being real athletes.

They're more like carpet sweepers. Their social status and bank account balances reflect that: carpet cleaner.

I'd love to see a NFL star or 6'8 400lbs strongman fight though.
His name is Bob Sapp. He got kicked out of the NFL for PEDs and was 6'4 350 lbs shredded with 6-pack.

He fought in Japan lot. He holds multiple wins over the GOAT #1 kickboxer Ernesto Hoost and almost killed, though lost, Big Nog, the #2 MMA HW. All just because he was really big.

Back