Why do punchers dominate in MMA, while kickers never seem to cut it?

Your first point doesn't make sense if you're still on T.S.'s topic. By that logic then boxing is even worse than kicking for mma.

you must have misread it.

when you are wearing a boxing glove it is larger, when you block wearing boxing gloves, it covers more area.....because it is larger.

When you wear an mma glove it is smaller, when you block wearing an mma glove, it covers less area compared to a boxing glove.....because it is smaller.........this creates more openings for your hand to slip through, that a hand wearing a boxing glove wouldnt usually fit.

the larger boxing glove is also heavier then the smaller mma glove, so the hands are faster with mma gloves on vs boxing gloves.

These reasons are why you see punching being used more then kicks in mma.

you are also more likely to get taken down when you throw a kick vs a punch.

when you are wearing a boxing glove it is larger, when you block wearing boxing gloves, it covers more area.....because it is larger.

When you wear an mma glove it is smaller, when you block wearing an mma glove, it covers less area compared to a boxing glove.....because it is smaller.........this creates more openings for your hand to slip through, that a hand wearing a boxing glove wouldnt usually fit.

the larger boxing glove is also heavier then the smaller mma glove, so the hands are faster with mma gloves on vs boxing gloves.

to be honest muay thai fighters don't use their gloves to block that often.

to be honest muay thai fighters don't use their gloves to block that often.

it doesnt matter how you block. If a large glove is on your hands, it covers more surface area. My boxing glove is providing more protection here than an mma glove would

15895100_10212303495768928_903595287843671203_n.jpg

the dirty in fighting of some of these mma boxers is too potent. the boxers are more prepared to slip and counter than a kicker. it comes down to the length of the club you swing. plus a boxing stance is more like a double threat if a takedown presents itself.
I still say the Chihuahua Kid is gonna change a lot of perceptions.

Kickboxing is only really popular and widely practiced in Japan, Thailand, and the Netherlands. None of those countries produce good MMA fighters in this era.

Whereas boxing has a rich history in the US..

Also most guys I think just want to land a KO punch because it feels fucking badass.

Kickboxing is only really popular and widely practiced in Japan, Thailand, and the Netherlands. None of those countries produce good MMA fighters in this era.

Whereas boxing has a rich history in the US..

Also most guys I think just want to land a KO punch because it feels fucking badass.

i agree, kickboxing is popular in thailand. it's basically the same thing

:D

T.S, back then in Pride and in the beginning stages of MMA. It used to be more international. So it attracted anything from Savate guys, to full fledged K1 strikers and Muay Thai fighters.

When the UFC took over. Many kicking based fighters who were fighting in MMA, such as in Pride and Heroes, went back to their respective striking sports instead of pursuing mma any further.

Not only that, but this also put a huge stop of potential kickboxing type fighters that could have become potential MMA fighters.

Then we have the rulesets, and most detrimental, the scoring system which favor grapplers. Many a time we've seen fights where the striker actually hurts the grappler, but a simple non damaging takedown and lay and pray cements the round for the grappler. Not good for business to enter the sport when it's mostly stacked against you.

Then we come to the ring/cage issue. Almost all striking arts fight in a ring. A ring has corners and it is shorter. This allows the striker to easily trap their prey, leading to heavy damage that would score, or create the beginnings of a TKO or KO. In the cage however, being so big and having no real corner, the grappler is free to run away at will. And reingage when he is ready for a takedown.

This cage only favors guys like Stephen Thompson and Lyoto Machida as strikers, seeing as how they're very elusive and can use their footwork and the immense sizr of the cage to actually evade grapplers.

And even then, kicking and kicking defense has problem invaluable at the highest levels of mma.

Conor barely scraped a win over pretty much pure boxer Diaz by kicking Diaz legs out. Jon Jones barely scraped a win over pretty much pure boxer Gus by kicking his head repeatedly.

Anderson Silva was a great kicker who has used his kicks to win multiple fights and he wouldn't be the champ he is today if it was just his boxing.

When Fedor fought Mirko, he spent the majority of his training camp in Holland sparring K1 fighters and learning to kick Crocops legs out evertime Crocop went for a head kick. It doesn't make Fedor a kicker per say. But nonetheless he focused and learned the art of Dutch style muay thai for a while.

Plenty of Champions have been kickers, and this includes guys like Conor, Dos Anjos, Fedor, and Jones and many others who even though aren't traditional kickers, still use kicking to get that extra advantage to get wins.

And of course then we have the countless of traditional kickers who have made a splash in the sport like GSP (kyokushin) Mirko, Aldo, Lyoto, Stefan, Pettis (who looked near invincible at some point) Shogun, Mousasi, Overeem, Igor, Anderson, Thiago Alves, Brandon Vera, Chuck Liddell (Kenpo), Donald Cerrone, Uriah Hall, and the list goes on.

So. As you can see T.S. There's plenty of reasons why kickers don't even bother going into MMA. And the small amount that do always manage to be very successful and even become Champs. Food for thought chief
Good post.
I would add to the rule set issue the bad on soccer kicks. PRIDE had it easier for kickers, you did not have to join a downed grappled on the ground, you could kick and stomp the living crap out of him - and many fights ended that way! In UFC, as a striker, you either have to let the grappler get back up or enter his world - both scenarios being a disadvantage.

No I didn't misread it. That's exactly my point. Boxing is worse for mma due to the bigger gloves according to your logic.

I'm not disagreeing with your general idea I'm just showing you how you worded yourself.

This entire thread is based on a false premise. You could only make this kind of statement if you really don't know anything about MMA.

No I didn't misread it. That's exactly my point. Boxing is worse for mma due to the bigger gloves according to your logic.

I'm not disagreeing with your general idea I'm just showing you how you worded yourself.

im saying boxing is better for mma because of the smaller gloves. you got it backwards

Why? because your hands are faster and there are more openings

you stated: "Boxing is worse for mma due to the bigger gloves according to your logic."

when you use boxing in mma, your not wearing boxing gloves ;)

Last edited:
As i said they dont use blocking as their main defense.

The kick would have been blocked the same whether I was wearing boxing gloves, mma gloves, or no gloves. Boxing gloves adding more protection then mma gloves. mma gloves providing more protection than no gloves.

Obviously countering is better then blocking but Shiet happens and you will need to block in a fight, and when you do, a boxing glove is going to provide more protection than an mma glove.

but whatever you say bro ;)

Last edited:
The kick would have been blocked the same whether I was wearing boxing gloves, mma gloves, or no gloves. Boxing gloves adding more protection then mma gloves. mma gloves providing more protection than no gloves.

Obviously countering is better then blocking but Shiet happens and you will need to block in a fight, and when you do, a boxing glove is going to provide more protection than an mma glove.

but whatever you say bro ;)

you are talking out of your ass

alot of kickboxers and muay thai fighters slip kicks.....they get out of the way of the kick and often dont use a block.

yet you reply about the size of the gloves. size of the gloves dont matter at all if ya slip or move out of the way of a kick

Should have been a double forearm gaurd or lean back defense. Placing your palm on your head to defend a headkick is far from ideal and people have been dropped and KO'ed doing that even with big gloves.

Should have been a double forearm gaurd or lean back defense. Placing your palm on your head to defend a headkick is far from ideal and people have been dropped and KO'ed doing that even with big gloves.

Sure thing captain hindsight

The technique I'm using in the pic is a counter if you're unfamiliar with it, you can learn it here

you are talking out of your ass

alot of kickboxers and muay thai fighters slip kicks.....they get out of the way of the kick and often dont use a block.

yet you reply about the size of the gloves. size of the gloves dont matter at all if ya slip or move out of the way of a kick

At what point did I say they don't do those things? Matter of fact I stated they do, do those things....when I stated it's obviously better to counter than block.

However if you think your never going to block in a fight and that your going to counter everything than you obviously have never fought.

The only one talking out of their ass is you, as you have clearly misread my statement.

And for the record a boxing glove provides more protection than a mma glove. And obviously if you you slip an attack, meaning said attack never touches you than the amount of protection you have or don't have doesn't matter. If I'm wearing a bullet proof vest and you shoot at me and miss, the bullet proof vest didn't protect anything did it?

In a fight your going to counter and your going to block. Only a idiot would think any different...should be common sense.

muay thai fighters this and muay thai fighters that, when THEY this, and when THEY that. Well I am a muay thai fighter and when I/THEY this, and when I/THEY that ;)

I didn't come here to get in a keyboard warrior battle with you so your free to think what you want

Peace out

Last edited:
ok, thats precisely why guys like Anderson Silva sucked, they kicked too much and they were rarely effective...

then he broke his own leg throwing a kick, that has to be absolute evidence that kicking sucks, and should prove all his previous wins that came by way of kicks were just pure luck

Much more instances of broken hands doofus, try again .

Kicking and punching go together. End of story.

<{1-17}> .

Why did grapplers destroy all strikers until strikers had to learn the grapplers arts?

In this thread:

1. Guy has an irrational fear/dislike/bias against kicks, feels need to lash out and ruffle feathers due to own insecurities.

2. Comes on forum about kicks to start shit, and make himself feel better about his personal bias and/or inability to kick well or understand the role kicks play in sports that allow them.

3. Pretends he is a kickboxer to add legitimacy to stupid questions, while he talks about MMA in a KICKBOXING subforum. Then proceeds to dismiss obvious glaring examples of kicking success in MMA that KICKBOXING subforum members go out of their way to humour him about.

4. Probably in the 12-16 age range. Probably leads a sad life. You have my sympathy.

Last edited:
Back