Why do people think leg kicks are "less manly" than punching?

I don't think the problem is the kick, but rather the target.

If you punch a guy in the legs or the arms, its considered weak.

If you kick a guy in the head, it's considered manly.

Conventional wisdom is that striking a guy in the limbs isn't as likely to end the fight as other means - although the recent rise in leg kick stoppages might be challenging that.

It comes up pretty often whenever a fighter relies heavily on managing distance and chopping down their opponent's legs.

I remember watching UFC 250. I had been a fan for a while, but it was my first time making a concerted effort to attend one of the PBP threads on Sherdog for the event at the same time. Alex Perez TKO'd Formiga with low kicks on the Early Prelims quite badly, just kept going back to the well with no resistance and finished him in the first round as I recall.

Instead of people talking about what a good performance it was, there were people saying -- and I quote -- "What a bitchmade gameplan..."

Seen it many times since in many contexts. There's always a small but vocal segment of people who seem to shout loudly about how calf kicks are bullshit and lame.
huh. I have not come across this, of course, I'm somewhat new here. But I don't doubt it. There's no shortage of stupid people in the world.

depends on the low kick. i’ll take 100 of the low kicks condit hit diaz with before i take 10 of the ones thiago alves landed on koscheck. some guys don’t pack any power in their kicks, some by intention. some do, and it just doesn’t affect the guy they’re fighting. fiziev/green comes to mind. bobby took them like nothing and tore fiziev’s face up with his hands. comparing the two fighters’ offense in that case, the kicks look weak. therefore, pussy shit.

I see people comment all the time that leg kicks aren't real fighting and that it's a pathetic strategy.

If anything, leg kicks are more painful than punches and surviving dozens of leg kicks is a bigger test of pain tolerance than surviving punches (which is mostly dependent on genetics).

People say that leg kicks don't require skill but that's only if the other fighter doesn't know how to deal with them. That's true for literally anything in combat sports. You don't need to be particularly skilled to knock someone out if your opponent has no skill either.

It takes skill for sure to set up good, fight-ending, leg kicks against a skilled opponent, and it takes real heart and toughness to survive them.
Wut
Literally noone says that

Manliness is one thing but if you dont have intentions to finish your opponent, it's less respectable.

Well they're the same people who think a lifetime of grappling is obsoleted by being able to bite/eye gouge and subsequently that Mike Tyson would destroy any mma fighter ever

People at least try to do damage with punches.

Some fighters only throw around weak tap dancing kicks and nothing else while thinking they are technical and #champ shit only.

Guys like Gane, Izzy and Diaz Condit are good example of that.

I'm almost sure ts invented this outrage.

As some have mentioned a devastating punch to the head > devastating kick to the leg.
And a weak jab > weak leg kick.

But there's no "less manlyness" talk to anying other than grappling.

I'll refer this question to Cecil Peoples. Leg kicks don't count.

Just boxing fans thinking anything below the belt is haram I think.

Same people who'll tell you grappling is gay and you should stand and fight like a man.
Remember it's only gay if you look into each other's yes.

I've never heard this claim made until this thread was made. I assume TS is talking about his 2 buddies that he watches fights with?

Best technique in a street fight is faking a shitty low kick & coming up top

Probably because its associated with kicking in a street fight where you would be wearing shoes. That would be huge damage with just a toe poke.

Manliness to gay, in this order

1. Flying knee
2. Uppercut
3. Hook
4. Head kick
5. Cross
6. Body kick
7. Jab
8. Leg lick
9. Calf kick
10. Hug him... I mean grapple him.

So leg licking, at number 8, is not the gayest thing on the list?

Back