Why do people think leg kicks are "less manly" than punching?

achoo42

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I see people comment all the time that leg kicks aren't real fighting and that it's a pathetic strategy.

If anything, leg kicks are more painful than punches and surviving dozens of leg kicks is a bigger test of pain tolerance than surviving punches (which is mostly dependent on genetics).

People say that leg kicks don't require skill but that's only if the other fighter doesn't know how to deal with them. That's true for literally anything in combat sports. You don't need to be particularly skilled to knock someone out if your opponent has no skill either.

It takes skill for sure to set up good, fight-ending, leg kicks against a skilled opponent, and it takes real heart and toughness to survive them.

Last edited:
I see people comment all the time that leg kicks aren't real fighting and that it's a pathetic strategy.

If anything, leg kicks are more painful than punches and surviving dozens of leg kicks is a bigger test of pain tolerance than surviving punches (which is mostly dependent on chin).

People say that leg kicks don't require skill but that's only if the other fighter doesn't know how to deal with them.

That's true for literally anything in combat sports. You don't need to be particularly skilled to knock someone out if your opponent has no skill either.

It takes skill for sure to set up good, fight-ending, leg kicks against a skilled opponent, and it takes real heart and toughness to survive them.
That's because you can only get a doctor stoppage out of leg kicks

61e2d473c5d84fb4bdf84317d73e91da_xl.jpg

Just boxing fans thinking anything below the belt is haram I think.

Same people who'll tell you grappling is gay and you should stand and fight like a man.
i don't even think it's boxing. i think it's a Western culture thing. that's why fights are called fisticuffs, people refer to fights as "fist fights" when in reality you can do whatever you want but there's some stupid unspoken rules about not hitting guys while they're down, no kicking, no grappling etc.,

If anything, leg kicks are more painful than punches and surviving dozens of leg kicks is a bigger test of pain tolerance than surviving punches (which is mostly dependent on genetics).

People say that leg kicks don't require skill but that's only if the other fighter doesn't know how to deal with them. That's true for literally anything in combat sports. You don't need to be particularly skilled to knock someone out if your opponent has no skill either.

They’ve never been leg kicked by a serious kicker. Pat Barry gave me a limp for over a week after a leg kick heavy sparring session. Leg kicks are no joke.

"Leg kicks dont finish fights"

Cecil Peoples the master of manly martial arts

i don't even think it's boxing. i think it's a Western culture thing. that's why fights are called fisticuffs, people refer to fights as "fist fights" when in reality you can do whatever you want but there's some stupid unspoken rules about not hitting guys while they're down, no kicking, no grappling etc.,
It's all in relation to sour grapes about losing,or the people watching the fight wanting to see rock em sock em

Just boxing fans thinking anything below the belt is haram I think.

Same people who'll tell you grappling is gay and you should stand and fight like a man.
Yep these people still exist,but MMA has def converted quite a few people,and also influenced fight scenes in movies.

Back