Why do MMA fans care SO MUCH about PPV buyrates and TV ratings?

It informs us on the health of the UFC and overall interest in mma

NBA fans rarely talk about ratings. Same with soccer, formula 1, NASCAR, baseball fans etc. etc.

Who gives a shit about how much profit the billionaires at the top are making. What matters is the quality of the fights. Don't be like Brendan Schaub who cares only about "who is a draw". Enjoy the amazing fights that happen and remember that's why we watch.

the reason is they like to nuthugg on people who are popular and have money because they try to be like that to.
see mcgregor.

NBA fans rarely talk about ratings. Same with soccer, formula 1, NASCAR, baseball fans etc. etc.

Who gives a shit about how much profit the billionaires at the top are making. What matters is the quality of the fights. Don't be like Brendan Schaub who cares only about "who is a draw". Enjoy the amazing fights that happen and remember that's why we watch.
This is a new sport when compared with the others you mentioned. The financial health of the premier organization can have a direct impact on fan access to the product and the quality of the product the fans receive.

NBA fans rarely talk about ratings.
Because it doesn't really affect the players, PPV buy rates do affect some fighters.

NBA fans discuss the financial side contract negotiations a lot, along with shoe deals and uniform deals etc...

No fans care what the owners are being paid, they care what the players are getting...Same with fighting, we rarely speculate over what a PPV buy rate means for Dana or WME bosses

Fans care about what the athletes are making across all sports

Last edited:
Because it is a niche sport. Anything that draws attention to it is worth studyig and repeating.

I don't really.

I just care if it's a good show with entertaining fights.

NBA fans discuss the financial side contract negotiations a lot, along with shoe deals and uniform deals etc...

that is an excellent point & backs up what I & others said about not following other sports
NBA fans talk all the time about endorsements & that has zero effect on the game played (where in MMA matchups are effected by money)
Also Golf fans discuss endorsements as well

Back