Why do MMA fans care SO MUCH about PPV buyrates and TV ratings?

It's a selfish thing.

They think that pretending to be concerned about ratings means that they're showing how much they care about the longevity of the sport. But really, they only care about the longevity of their potential entertainment.

I think it's more self-indulgence. They fell "intelligent" by talking about that stuff.

For Conor fans it's a whole different story: it's just a talking point to argue in favor of his "greatness".

It's always nice to see the sport grow and become more widely accepted.

The NFL talks about it everyday.

I'm a football/soccer fan and everyone talks about how much money clubs have, where it comes from, and how they might spend it. Ditto the health of the leagues and the international game (ratings, tv deals, etc).

It's not just an MMA thing.

Thinking its an MMA only thing shows lack of knowledge on sports.
MLB hardcores discuss how much players make all the time as well.

But in MMA & Boxing it will be more, because there is no schedule to adhere to & they make it up due to how they can profit the most.

Only on SD is having more knowledge/info why fights get made is a bad thing
Thankfully it is limited to less & less people as both the genre & fans progress

Usually, more buys equals more money equals more money to be had equals a better environment to produce great fights.

I want everyone involved in MMA to be successful so I have the best chance of watching some great fights in the future. Can't do that if the machine is struggling.

I get ur point, but this very deep obsession is just wiered to me. I used to consume a number of mma podcasts but theyve mostly turned to trash talking about numbers and speculating what fights they think the UFC might book based on «draws» and «stars». What happened to focusing on technique and breaking down match ups so us listners can learn something? I feel like fans are stupid and dont care to learn about fighting, and that speculating about money and gossip is more easy digestible. Ariel and Brendan is trend setters among fans and this obsession stems from them I think. I bet Ariel knows a lot more about fighting than he pretends to know when acting out hes proffessional persona.
Thats my take anyways, I might be dead wrong though.

TV ratings and attendance numbers are mentioned all the time for MLB and NBA, the sports are much more massive though so even downward trends don't seem to affect TV deals. Even a shitty team like the Cleveland Browns 0-16 would make a massive profit right now if the owner decided to sell. It's also different when you have thousands of games vs 1 PPV/event per week at most

Because TV and PPV's is how MMA orgs really get paid. The advertising revenue that they generate is tied to ratings. The event sponsorship are tied into how many eyeballs will be watching. The more money an event generates, the more money can go to fighters, the more money going out to fighters, the better athletes they can attract.

Because when you run out of arguments, you still have this shit to throw around ;)

Every boxscore shows attendance as well
Silly to think other sports don't discuss numbers

yea, OP is obviously insulated from other sports or not on forum boards for other sports, i mean look at this article abstract, attendance down .67% and they act like it's on the verge of crisis lol

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...gues-and-Governing-Bodies/MLB-attendance.aspx

and another

http://fantelope.com/fan-attendance-declining/

and TV ratings

http://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/indi...t-more-than-half-the-league-sees-decline.html

NBA fans rarely talk about ratings. Same with soccer, formula 1, NASCAR, baseball fans etc. etc.

Who gives a shit about how much profit the billionaires at the top are making. What matters is the quality of the fights. Don't be like Brendan Schaub who cares only about "who is a draw". Enjoy the amazing fights that happen and remember that's why we watch.
Because if there are no profits the UFC goes away. They are 10000000000000000000% profit driven like any good business. I want them to make 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000 dollars so they never go away and fights keep on happening.

I get ur point, but this very deep obsession is just wiered to me. I used to consume a number of mma podcasts but theyve mostly turned to trash talking about numbers and speculating what fights they think the UFC might book based on «draws» and «stars». What happened to focusing on technique and breaking down match ups so us listners can learn something? I feel like fans are stupid and dont care to learn about fighting, and that speculating about money and gossip is more easy digestible. Ariel and Brendan is trend setters among fans and this obsession stems from them I think. I bet Ariel knows a lot more about fighting than he pretends to know when acting out hes proffessional persona.
Thats my take anyways, I might be dead wrong though.

Once a fight gets made, more people do discuss the actual fight.
Fans & media

but when trying to figure out who will be matched with who, it is ignorant not to take business into the equation.

it is PRIZE FIGHTING

MMA fans are insecure because the 'sport' is not really taken seriously, no matter how much revenue it supposedly generates from hidden PPV numbers that are more than likely false anyway.

yea, OP is obviously insulated from other sports or not on forum boards for other sports, i mean look at this article abstract, attendance down .67% and they act like it's on the verge of crisis lol

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...gues-and-Governing-Bodies/MLB-attendance.aspx

and another

http://fantelope.com/fan-attendance-declining/

This & that
plus there are dozens of daily threads on SD about matchups & techniques

Many more than "numbers"

why info scares some is silly.

This & that
plus there are dozens of daily threads on SD about matchups & techniques

Many more than "numbers"

why info scares some is silly.

i think a lot of it is WME/Dana White Hate, so whenever they see an article regarding bad ratings it gets posted multiple times. But as other sports have shown, ratings doesn't seem to have any affect on TV deals continuing to break records. We will see what happens with UFC

Its not that people talk about it. Its the negative and disrespectful way they do it on here. You would think they hate the sport

i think a lot of it is WME/Dana White Hate, so whenever they see an article regarding bad ratings it gets posted multiple times. But as other sports have shown, ratings doesn't seem to have any affect on TV deals continuing to break records. We will see what happens with UFC

If good numbers get posted, bad should as well
I post both because that is honest discussion.

But in 2017, being a fan & looking down at others that seek out more info about the business of a sport is silly.

Look at TV & Film.
Ratings & Box Office numbers are everywhere
Fans of sitcoms don't act juvenile because they get discussed
They realize that is a large part of why a show gets renewed, etc.

It is the age of info!

In my experience people who care so much about the numbers dont know jack shit about fighting. They use all their time as a fan studying everything else but the actual sport/techniques.
«Fighting is about fighting» - robin black
Well, I'm a long time fan of the UFC & I'm interested in both the numbers as well as the fighting itself. So now you can't say that anymore since your experience now includes us talking. :D

On the real... I have convos with a lot of people about numbers whom I've also broken down fights with... so I'm not sure who your experience includes, but it's certainly not a rule.

That said, I'm not even sure why someone would be interested in the UFC's numbers if they weren't interested in the fights themselves.

Its not that people talk about it. Its the negative and disrespectful way they do it on here. You would think they hate the sport

MMA fans are bad in that way, but a lot parrot info they do not understand.
Some learn when it gets discussed & some refuse bc its fits their agenda of "sky is falling"

Well, I'm a long time fan of the UFC & I'm interested in both the numbers as well as the fighting itself. So now you can't say that anymore since your experience now includes us talking. :D

On the real... I have convos with a lot of people about numbers whom I've also broken down fights with... so I'm not sure who your experience includes, but it's certainly not a rule.

That said, I'm not even sure why someone would be interested in the UFC's numbers if they weren't interested in the fights themselves.

It goes hand in hand IMO

Fights get made because of matchups & numbers.

Thinking one should not be discussed is just ignorance.

Back