Why do MMA fans care SO MUCH about PPV buyrates and TV ratings?

Because it shows us the direction the UFC and other MMA organizations are going in and what the future may look like.

Really.......so you studied the buy rates on the original Toughman contests?

Cool story bro.........

But in MMA & Boxing it will be more, because there is no schedule to adhere to & they make it up due to how they can profit the most.

Excellent point. Imagine if the NFL made up the schedule to chase ratings. Well, even more so than they do. My team, the Cleveland Browns, would never see the light of day. My other team (lightweight), the Dallas Cowboys, would be on most of the time, fighting it out with New York teams and California teams.

Look at the NBA holiday scheduling. Premiere match-ups, invariably. If they could make a whole season of them, they would.

Excellent point. Imagine if the NFL made up the schedule to chase ratings. Well, even more so than they do. My team, the Cleveland Browns, would never see the light of day. My other team (lightweight), the Dallas Cowboys, would be on most of the time, fighting it out with New York teams and California teams.

Look at the NBA holiday scheduling. Premiere match-ups, invariably. If they could make a whole season of them, they would.

That & look at why more & more teams make the playoffs
FOR MORE REVENUE

the only reason a team barely above 500% can win a championship is because the leagues are greedy for more playoff money

What is the point of coming in first for a season if the 2nd & 3rd (some sports 4th) place teams can still be in playoffs?

All sports are dictated by numbers, ratings, box, etc.

Cause people are trendy and care what people think of them and if UFC isn't cool anymore then that makes not cool anymore as well. This is the same sport that gave us tap out wearing posers lol

Cause people are trendy and care what people think of them and if UFC isn't cool anymore then that makes not cool anymore as well.

I don't think you are paying a lot of attention.

A large part of the MMA/UFC fans on here, celebrate bad numbers & parrot "UFC is dying" (even though $150+m profit years)

Because nfl, nba, college football is free tv and something for people to do on the weekends. No one would pay 60 ppv for those.

We don't. The only person who won't shut up about "who's a drawl" is one fight analcyst who's out there killin the game by the name of Brandino "Big Downs" Slob.

If you want to be knowledgeable and not ignorant and wrong all the time, you need to really take this stuff into account. It's blatantly obvious its the key factor. Otherwise you can just listen to BS, lies and spin all day and be more and more confused.

Plus I think fans of the popular fighters see it as a way to 'win' 'arguments' on Sherdog.

All thats happened with more money is more greed and ducking.

Good to see most get it these days!
Not that TS asked a bad question, but SD stepped up with responses that were not trolling
Good stuff

Of course the thread will change soon enough, but ... ;)

lol you spoke too soon. The slow ones were just being slow.

Maybe they get a cut from that PPV money. Who knows?

People on the spectrum tend to have a compulsive need to quantify the things they enjoy.

In my experience people who care so much about the numbers dont know jack shit about fighting. They use all their time as a fan studying everything else but the actual sport/techniques.
«Fighting is about fighting» - robin black

No idea. The numbers are never any good, just degrees of bad.

It's a selfish thing.

They think that pretending to be concerned about ratings means that they're showing how much they care about the longevity of the sport. But really, they only care about the longevity of their potential entertainment.

Fantasy football mentality.

They like to pretend they are promoters, and make sense of the sport from a non-sporting point of view.

In other words, they don't care for the sport, and use this nonsense as excuse for the terrible decisions made by the promoters. They feel "smart" that way.

conor loses fights so they have to fall back on how many idiots he can drag in to see the twink show

I think it's more self-indulgence. They fell "intelligent" by talking about that stuff.

For Conor fans it's a whole different story: it's just a talking point to argue in favor of his "greatness".

Soccer is a sport. For the most part it's run pretty seriously and it has been extremely succesful for many years.

The UFC is a company that wants to make money. When shitty fights sell, the UFC will be inclined to put on shitty fights. They could even put on clown fights and midget fights one day. When the UFC does badly, they might get extra cheap towards fighters thus getting even worse talent and less up and comers.

Most people on sherdog are MMA fans. Is it so hard to understand why MMA fans would be interested what matchups will be made, if the sport is popular, how promotions (most often the UFC) are doing etc?

If MMA is popular, thus gaining fighters more attention and money making potential, more people will aspire to be MMA fighters = bigger talent pool = better fighters for us to watch.

B-ball and soccer players are overpaid. MMA fighters are underpaid. How much a fighter draws can directly or indirectly affect fighter pay and which fights are made, a direction.

NBA fans rarely talk about ratings. Same with soccer, formula 1, NASCAR, baseball fans etc. etc.

Who gives a shit about how much profit the billionaires at the top are making. What matters is the quality of the fights. Don't be like Brendan Schaub who cares only about "who is a draw". Enjoy the amazing fights that happen and remember that's why we watch.

Agree.
Because it’s not just PPV, the international broadcast deals have gotten to be a bigger piece of the pie than PPV.
So there are fighters that may be a big deal to those international broadcasters that don’t necessarily sell big for North American PPV.

But what you’re forgetting is that it becomes relevant to discussions on fighter pay, or how they don’t give deserving fighters their chance for the title because they don’t draw.
It’s relevant when those fighters are American or Canadian.

One of my friend is a big time fan of numbers from ppv and tv ratings for the UFC. Every time I talk to him about an event, he'll just bring up numbers. "Oh that fight, it's not even going to be good, I mean, the numbers will probably be 100k buys in ppv. Why would you even watch it?" So I guess it plays into a factor of match making like everyone say and who they'll watch. I just fucken watch it because I love the fighting aspect of it. lol. I do feel for the fighters who don't make much for what they take on physically, but if everyone was to be a conor mcgregor, would that make people buy more PPV and get the TV ratings up? I doubt it because we choose who we like and don't like as a fighter.

NBA fans rarely talk about ratings. Same with soccer, formula 1, NASCAR, baseball fans etc. etc.

Who gives a shit about how much profit the billionaires at the top are making. What matters is the quality of the fights. Don't be like Brendan Schaub who cares only about "who is a draw". Enjoy the amazing fights that happen and remember that's why we watch.

This threads not even gonna get anywhere near 700 views..i'm calling it now..450...this thread sucks bro,fricken watered down threads hey!Forums are dying!You should see my Conor vs Diaz thread,so many views.

Seriously though people are legit bananas about it here.

Edit: oh jeez the idiots are swarming this thread haha.

Back