Why do Fighter's with Cardio Problems ignore said problem?

But you can have combinations of them, just not all.

False.

perfectfighter.jpg

Why do fighters ignore any problems/holes in their game?

Because they're lazy and hate working on things that they're bad at.

One of my biggest pet peeves around here is when Sherdoggers claim and/or assume that all fighters should have the same level of elite cardio. (And if they don't, they're lazy.)

To turn a wrestler/grappler into a fluid striker usually takes some time and a strong work ethic (TJ Dillashaw, Rafael Dos Anjos). Sometimes it will take more than 1 camp to see all the progression.

But conditioning is something that can be fixed relatively quickly and there are fighters from the journeyman-prospect level(Marcin Held, Warley Alves) to the championip level(Aldo,Mcgregor) that allow cardio to cost them wins. Fighters like Max Holloway and Tony Ferguson have used Cardio to enhance their other skills and become a champion level fighter It won't win fights alone obviously, but it seems like an obvious thing not to overlook.

Why do fighters let conditioning get in the way of achieving their potential?

I know, same thing with reach. So many fighters could improve their game just by increasing their reach!

1- you're right that everyone can improve cardio, but it takes more than one camp. Some guys blame genetics and it's true that genetics is a factor, but cardio problems can still be overcome, however it would take the "bad genetics" guys a lot more hours to obtain the same results

2-many fighters with "bad cardio" really just fight in sprints, vs other guys who throw low power and conserve energy

3-there are only so many hours a day and there is only so much that one can physically train. They may be prioritizing technique training over road running

Some guys just have it. Some don't. It isn't just as easy as working on it.

Why fighter with no Power don't try to hit harder ?

Or they spend their time you know, sparring and rolling. And yes, lifting to build muscles. You know, ones that help muscling other men around or generating power into strikes. Cardio is just one part of fitness and unless you are on PEDs, you are not going to be able to train two of three times a day for a prolonged period of time without injury.

Not to mention not all fighters have the ability to move their camps into altitude, and many simply wont ever be cardio beasts. IDGAF how long someone with Hunt's body type runs, he won't be a marathon runner.

Not everyone can punch like Mike Tyson.

Not everyone can have grest cardio

Not everyone can have strong muscles.

Not everyone can be great at math, writing, or singing.

But you can have combinations of them, just not all.

Mighty Mouse should heed the message in the op and fix his size problem. Why not just grow into a bigger weight class?

It really comes down to genetics IMO

Some guys will never be explosive and some guys will never have elite cardio. fast twtich vs slow twitch

Of course you can improve on either but there is a threshold

Mcgegror can do all that training at the UFC PI but he'll never have elite cardio just like Nate Diaz will never be an explosive athlete.
Genetics is a factor but You don’t need the cardio of a marathon runner to go 5 rounds in mma or 12 rounds in boxing. Don’t tell me it’s impossible to go the full 5 rounds in mma because it’s not, no matter who it is. You have to be able to fight your style of fight for the whole 25 if you’re a championship fighter and that is achievable with pacing and knowing when to take rests for some but more importantly time, it takes a lot of time and cardio work(running) to get your cardio up.
Somebody mentioned Cody neck tats and he’s a good example of how that myth that explosive fighters can’t go 5 rounds without gassing is bullshit, he’s as explosive as anyone and he doesn’t gas.
At the end of the day if your a professional fighter you need to be able to go the distance.

To turn a wrestler/grappler into a fluid striker usually takes some time and a strong work ethic (TJ Dillashaw, Rafael Dos Anjos). Sometimes it will take more than 1 camp to see all the progression.

But conditioning is something that can be fixed relatively quickly and there are fighters from the journeyman-prospect level(Marcin Held, Warley Alves) to the championip level(Aldo,Mcgregor) that allow cardio to cost them wins. Fighters like Max Holloway and Tony Ferguson have used Cardio to enhance their other skills and become a champion level fighter It won't win fights alone obviously, but it seems like an obvious thing not to overlook.

Why do fighters let conditioning get in the way of achieving their potential?
Conditioning is not that easy to build. You need to start at a young age (before 25) to really build your conditioning. From age 30 and up, your body starts to lose lung capacity (normal part of growing older), so if you are not a fully conditioned endurance athlete at this point, you better be an anomaly to significantly improve your conditioning.

1- you're right that everyone can improve cardio, but it takes more than one camp. Some guys blame genetics and it's true that genetics is a factor, but cardio problems can still be overcome, however it would take the "bad genetics" guys a lot more hours to obtain the same results

2-many fighters with "bad cardio" really just fight in sprints, vs other guys who throw low power and conserve energy

3-there are only so many hours a day and there is only so much that one can physically train. They may be prioritizing technique training over road running
Exactly man, a big reason a lot of fighters gas is that they don’t know how to pace themselves adequately for their fighting style, they go 100% from the start so of course they gas, if the learn to throw half power shots and mix them in with well set up power shots it would help a lot. They actually teach you this at good boxing gyms. Throw combos 50% power and more speed and end combos with a power shot

Genetics are a big part of it. I was always a fast short distance runner but could never do distance. No matter how hard I trained, what I ate, etc I've never been a good distance runner. 6:30 1 mile but I will gas whether I pace or go all out after that first mile.

Cardio is actually a gift. like running a 10s 100m is.

You think everyone can go 5 roundes in mexico city at 100% like ferg did? I think not. Most gassed in 1 round.

Thats why I laugh at ppl saying fighters are lessor athletes. Naw - they are elites for this sport where cardio is king combined with willingness to take an ass whooping. Few others are able. Thats why they play a derivative of imposing your will on another man sport like NFL or NBA where competition exists but it's not as personal.

Not trying to be a dick but posts like this really reveal how ignorant people are about strength and conditioning, genetics, and other factors related to performance.
Not saying that guys like Aldo or Mcgregor would have Mighty Mouse level cardio, the point is that it shouldn't be the main reason why you lose. Fighters from Nova Uniao are good example of this.

Cuz none of my opponents make it out of the first round bro.....

Genetics are a big part of it. I was always a fast short distance runner but could never do distance. No matter how hard I trained, what I ate, etc I've never been a good distance runner. 6:30 1 mile but I will gas whether I pace or go all out after that first mile.
precisely I ran 100m and 200m in HS and college. Fast twitch type. Could never break 5 min miles in my prime which is slow. I lost a lot of wrestling matches that went past 4 min as well. Front runner big time. I envy the gas.

Explain training right.

When you have to do a dozen different kinds of training, its hard to do everything to mastery. Especially without PEDs.

Yoy are right with "repetitions of what you're doing".This is why a wrestler is going to be able to grapple longer without getting tired and a striker will be able to do that longer.

Which is why they all use them.....it would be impossible to prepare for top level MMA adequately without PEDs....

precisely I ran 100m and 200m in HS and college. Fast twitch type. Could never break 5 min miles in my prime which is slow. I lost a lot of wrestling matches that went past 4 min as well. Front runner big time. I envy the gas.

It sounds like you didn't need 5 minute miles.....what you needed was two or three hours of 7 minute miles....

You probably shouldn't be sprinting the whole time if you're trying to build cardio for endurance.....

"But conditioning is something that can be fixed relatively quickly" This is a laughably naive, and ignorant statement. Nearly everybody in the UFC is fairly well conditioned for their frame...

I disagree.

I used to run a 12 minute mile.
I worked on my conditioning and can run it in 11:38 now.

Why can't UFC fighters work on their conditioning like that?

TAM fighters have almost universally great cardio because it's something that they highly prioritize in their program. Garbrandt the ko artist and Elkins the grinder both have top notch cardio. Not every fighter will have that kind of cardio, but at this level it shouldn't be costing you wins

Being "manlet size" helps a lot, its the upper weight classes the ones that have cardio issues the most.

Back