Why do Fighter's with Cardio Problems ignore said problem?

TAM fighters have almost universally great cardio because it's something that they highly prioritize in their program. Garbrandt the ko artist and Elkins the grinder both have top notch cardio. Not every fighter will have that kind of cardio, but at this level it shouldn't be costing you wins
TAM have great cardio because they're all five feet tall.

You act like cardio is just a bar in your stats that you can increase by pressing a button on the controller really fast.

Classic excuse making. Your cardio suck? Work on your breathing technique, and move your training camp to altitude. When you come down to fight at sea level, you'll feel like you're swimming in oxygen (and nitrogen). The vast majority of fighters that have cardio issues have them because they spend too much time building their beach muscles and/or too little time working on their stamina.
Sherbro science is the best. Read a little bit before you open your ignorant mouth.

"Work on your breathing technique". Unreal. The internet cracks me up.

I agree. Whilst cardio will improve your overall potential, some of the bigger fighters would have to spend a lot more time in training working towards that top level cardio, compared to those who are naturally talented. You can see how some of them compensate with big KO potential which comes more naturally to them. One of the bigger examples of this would be Roy Nelson, especially in his earlier days at the UFC. He took ownership of that big Ole belly and put weight behind his right punches, but there's never been a third round where he wasn't absolutely knackered. Still managed a decent few wins with this strategy.

"Prospective studies have been done. Most notably, Bouchard published a study in 2011 in which he found that the response in VO2max (a measure of aerobic capacity) of a large cross-section of the population to a standardized training programme was enormously varied. Some individuals improved by less than 5%, others improve by 30%. And here’s the key point – it is possible, using genetic techniques, to identify which genetic polymorphisms are responsible for this huge difference. It turns out that Bouchard’s work has provided some pretty important findings:
  • About 50% of an individual’s starting VO2max and 50% of the “trainability” in VO2max is heritable
  • 21 Genetic polymorphisms have been associated with 50% of the training response to VO2max
  • If a person carries NINE OR FEWER of these genetic variants, then they are low responders and improve VO2max by only 200 ml/min.
  • If a person carries NINETEEN OR MORE of these variants, then they are high responders and improve VO2max by over 600 ml/min"
http://sportsscientists.com/2012/03/10000-hours-vs-training-debate/

"Overall, there was a range of changes in VO2max all the way from 100ml/min (basically no improvement) to over 1000ml/min. That’s a 10-fold difference."

http://sportsscientists.com/2011/08/training-talent-10000-hours-and-the-genes/

Sherbro science is the best. Read a little bit before you open your ignorant mouth.

"Work on your breathing technique". Unreal. The internet cracks me up.

LOL this. Im probably top 5 most explosive guys at my fight gym and im 47yo - my genetics are all sprint, throw hard, attack etc... and ive been running for about 20 years. I still get winded much quicker than most others because using fast twitch in combat will tire your ass quicker than shit and it doesnt matter at that point what timed mile you run or deep yoga breathing techniques you implement. Of course both of those thing will help in some capacity but to just come on here and say "Run and breathes bros....easy. Conor and Pro fighters take note.." is fucking retarded.

LOL this. Im probably top 5 most explosive guys at my fight gym and im 47yo - my genetics are all sprint, throw hard, attack etc... and ive been running for about 20 years. I still get winded much quicker than most others because using fast twitch in combat will tire your ass quicker than shit and it doesnt matter at that point what timed mile you run or deep yoga breathing techniques you implement. Of course both of those thing will help in some capacity but to just come on here and say "Run and breathes bros....easy. Conor and Pro fighters take note.." is fucking retarded.

Its also I think a lack of acknowledgement of just how good the crardio of guys like Fedor/Shogun was at their peaks to fight that aggressive power throwing style AND be able to last. You are talking large muscled men who ran marathon distances regularly which also of course explains a lot of why they can many fighters decline cardio wise without PED issues, messed up knees mean limited running.

People are built different.

Usain Bolt is the faste guy in the world ober a certain distance but he aint beating someone like Mo Farah in marathon, and vice Versa.

Someone like Bisping,has great Cardio and is loose in there and relaxed, that helps him last but his punches lack power, Cormier for example has great cardio and again is relaxed and can push the pace. these fighters have slow twitch muscles

Someone like Rumble jits hard and with power but the downside is that he is always coiled ready to explode and is never relaxed so constantly burning through his cardio, same for a lot of big hitters.

Another example is someone like Conor, not a KO artist as such but relies on reflexes and countering, this requires reflexes so you are constantly tense.

Both the 2nd types of fighters rely on fast twitch muscles. its not as easy as just getting better cardio, as doing so could have a dramatic impact on the way you choose to fight.

lets look at two recent fights concerning the fighters above, 2nd Conor.Diaz fight Conor had to try and conserve energy and was using kicks and retreating. This is not his natural way of fighting but that had to be sacrificed for better cardio.

Bisping/Rochold - Bisping came in late he knew his cardio was not where it should be so he sat on his punches and went hell for leather and it worked, but if Rockhold survived that, then Bisping was not lasting 5 rounds like he normally does.

Or they spend their time you know, sparring and rolling. And yes, lifting to build muscles. You know, ones that help muscling other men around or generating power into strikes. Cardio is just one part of fitness and unless you are on PEDs, you are not going to be able to train two of three times a day for a prolonged period of time without injury.

Not to mention not all fighters have the ability to move their camps into altitude, and many simply wont ever be cardio beasts. IDGAF how long someone with Hunt's body type runs, he won't be a marathon runner.
Yet another know nothing running his gums. You ever heard of Alan Faneca? Pro football player... 6'5" 320lbs. Retired from football, changed his diet, began exercise, completed a marathon. Hunt's cardio is shit because he has no discipline when it comes to his diet. Of course he's tired after 2 rounds. You'd be tired too if you were wearing a 40lb vest while fighting, which is the equivalent of what Hunt is doing with all that excess fat.

Typical armchair expert. Have you ever trained? You wouldn't last even 3 minutes shoot boxing if you haven't.

"Just get fitter!" May as well be "just get smarter!"

There's a heap of variables at work...your genetic ability, your build, your style...ect.

People naturally reference Conor when it comes to cardio, but he carries a fair bit of muscle, is extremely explosive and is a pressure fighter. We've seen his measured approach in Diaz II, and he still gassed. When you're constantly relying on that fast-twitch, explosive counter striking, naturally you're going to burn more energy than someone who's willing to sit outside and bide their time.

Genetics you can't change, and all the elevation masks, breathing exercises and altitude won't change anything if you have a poor disposition for endurance and you're a pressure fighter.
Yes. Also ran a marathon in 2010 after never running competitively in my entire life.

But keep making excuses for your hero... the GOAT Conor McGregor... so great that's he's 1-1 (and 0-1-1 IMO) against Nate fuckin' Diaz

Cardio is like any other part of athleticism and is determined in part by genetics.

In addition you condition yourself to different things, running wont necessarily mean you will be able to grapple for a long time without getting tired, which is going to involve a lot more energy and muscle use.

Its not as easy as "You're lazy, get on the treadmill"
Conor McGregor's coke snorting and drinking habits sure aren't helping. Stop making excuses for fighters not being dedicated enough to the sport.

Ahhhh... so that's why a fast-twitch athlete like GSP always gasses so early in his fights, right? Or why an explosive guy like Josh Koscheck had such shit cardio, or why Tyron Woodley always seems to gas. GTFO with your anecdotal nonsense.

"Prospective studies have been done. Most notably, Bouchard published a study in 2011 in which he found that the response in VO2max (a measure of aerobic capacity) of a large cross-section of the population to a standardized training programme was enormously varied. Some individuals improved by less than 5%, others improve by 30%. And here’s the key point – it is possible, using genetic techniques, to identify which genetic polymorphisms are responsible for this huge difference. It turns out that Bouchard’s work has provided some pretty important findings:
  • About 50% of an individual’s starting VO2max and 50% of the “trainability” in VO2max is heritable
  • 21 Genetic polymorphisms have been associated with 50% of the training response to VO2max
  • If a person carries NINE OR FEWER of these genetic variants, then they are low responders and improve VO2max by only 200 ml/min.
  • If a person carries NINETEEN OR MORE of these variants, then they are high responders and improve VO2max by over 600 ml/min"
http://sportsscientists.com/2012/03/10000-hours-vs-training-debate/

"Overall, there was a range of changes in VO2max all the way from 100ml/min (basically no improvement) to over 1000ml/min. That’s a 10-fold difference."

http://sportsscientists.com/2011/08/training-talent-10000-hours-and-the-genes/

So let's go with the idea that it's 50% controllable and 50% genetic. This is probably a lot like most things in life. You are born with a genetic range of possibility and it's up to you to maximize your potential given the constrains time and will or desire. Very few people have maximized their MMA cardio. People shit on Conor but he does what he can with bad knees and is probably could change up a few things (within USADA rules) to improve his gas tank but at the expense of recovery time and time spent training other things like striking and grappling. Also, people should realize that V02max is important, but it's not the end all, be of endurance or the guy with the highest V02max would always win and that is just not the case in endurance sports. It's a predictor of performance not a guarantee.

Yet another know nothing running his gums. You ever heard of Alan Faneca? Pro football player... 6'5" 320lbs. Retired from football, changed his diet, began exercise, completed a marathon. Hunt's cardio is shit because he has no discipline when it comes to his diet. Of course he's tired after 2 rounds. You'd be tired too if you were wearing a 40lb vest while fighting, which is the equivalent of what Hunt is doing with all that excess fat.

No, you are the one that doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about.

One guy doing it doesnt mean everyone can. And also completing a marathon is much different than fighting, the guy was already used to running, its in football. Have the dude grapple for an extended peroid of time or start striking and see how much cardio he has.

Hunt is also forty years old and has to cross train.

Yes. Also ran a marathon in 2010 after never running competitively in my entire life.

But keep making excuses for your hero... the GOAT Conor McGregor... so great that's he's 1-1 (and 0-1-1 IMO) against Nate fuckin' Diaz

What time did you do? Was it competitive with competitive runners? No, it wasn't, so your hobby training was on par with your time no doubt. My binge drinking, lazy room mate just finished a marathon after a two months of just running around the park for training. That's not as big of an accomplishment as you think it is.

I just ran a 5km park run on Saturday in 22 minutes after 5 months of literally no exercise due to a back injury. That does not mean I could jump back in the cage right now. And you know what, I gassed hard by the end of the 2nd round in my last fight in 2014. My gas tank cost me the fight, and I trained my ass of for that. But then I can run 5km comfortably in near competitive running times, so that's how relevant your personal thoughts are on MMA conditioning.

I have poor genetic endurance with wrestling and kickboxing, and there's just not much I can do about it. Go and tell me I'm lazy then, that I need to train on a f#cking mountain, or that I need to run more, or whatever other nullified advice you have to give.

Of course, bring the Nate loss into anything related to Conor, because you really have nothing to add or rebuttal, so f#ck it, may as well just bring up his loss again hey?

A sprinter will never be the best marathon runner. Its genetics.

Fighters also need to work on their chin. Some guys get knocked out too easy. They should work on that it pays big to have a great chin like Hendo, Penn or McGreggor. I don't understand why people don't work on their chin more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back