Why Chester Bennington's death has hit a nerve

fightgirl

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've taken Chester's suicide a lot worse than that of other famous people and here's why... As someone who has suffered bouts of depression since the age of 15, whilst suicide at any age is unbearable, it truely scares me when people in his age range do it. There's something so reassuring when you see someone in the media who openly talks about having had depression or living with it and you think that yes, they have either beaten it, or, have a solid coping mechanism sorted, therefore there's still hope for me. For Chester to finally succumb to this illness at 41, after six kids and a wife, quite frankly, terrifies me. So I may still go out this way, but I'll just endure it for another decade or two.

I hope someone else can understand why this has got to me the way it has.

Robin Williams was a similar way... Dealt with crushing depression all the way to the age of 61 or whatever, but still decided he had finally had enough.

Get help whenever you feel like you need it, man.

Mental illness is never something to take lightly. I know from personal experience as well.

I've taken Chester's suicide a lot worse than that of other famous people and here's why... As someone who has suffered bouts of depression since the age of 15, whilst suicide at any age is unbearable, it truely scares me when people in his age range do it. There's something so reassuring when you see someone in the media who openly talks about having had depression or living with it and you think that yes, they have either beaten it, or, have a solid coping mechanism sorted, therefore there's still hope for me. For Chester to finally succumb to this illness at 41, after six kids and a wife, quite frankly, terrifies me. So I may still go out this way, but I'll just endure it for another decade or two.

I think 40 is a fragile age.
People realize they are getting old and get upset.

The fact that he had 6 kids... that's a whole lot of lifelong pain for them. Good luck to them...

On the other hand, Linkin Park would never have gotten famous without writing songs about depression.

Still bummed as well. Used to listen to them a lot as a teen/young adult. The thing about their music is that it was relatable if you had depression or insecurity issues. He actually had a really good life on the surface, massive commercial success, a family, 6 kids, loved by millions, rich. When someone like that takes their life while battling depression and you're working a 9-5 just making ends meet it's kind of makes you evaluate your life if you're going through similar issues with depression. This guy is a big success by most everyone's standards, yet couldn't deal with it while only 41.

Sidenote to TS. Don't let depression sink you. Reach out to talk if you're hurting. Look how many people cared and were hurt when Robin Williams, Chester, and Chris Cornell took their lives. I'm sure there are people in your life that would feel the same pain for you.

On the other hand, Linkin Park would never have gotten famous without writing songs about depression.
It's weird, when their music first came out I figured the lyrics were inspired by a "DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO DAD!!!!" rebellious teen angst but now it seems it might've been a bit deeper than that

Actually, the six kids and a wife might be a contributing factor.

Glad i dont have kids growing up in this wussy generation..smh.

It's weird, when their music first came out I figured the lyrics were inspired by a "DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO DAD!!!!" rebellious teen angst but now it seems it might've been a bit deeper than that
Keep in mind, Linkin Park were grown ass men when Hybrid Theory came out.

It's really important to invest yourself in positive interactions your entire life when you've got depressive tendencies. Fact is there might not be anything technically wrong with you, that you're not depressed, but the downer feelings are simply how you operate and will always operate. There's nothing wrong with being a bit negative, or trending toward the sadder end of the spectrum. There's nothing wrong with being sensitive; it's the root of empathy. As you have seen quite a few people have harnessed that energy and created art that has touched countless of people, including yourself.

The risk of living in this headspace is that you run the risk of making permanent decisions that you know won't help. That's why you need to stack your positive interactions and work to find the goodness of everything you do. No it isn't easy. And yes you will constantly worry that everything you do will be pointless. You can do everything right and it can be taken away from you. All valid concerns! And while you're worrying about all of that, just remember your life is still happening. You are still alive and let the pain motivate you. Do the things that make you proud, the things that help you love.

sex,drugs,alcohol,r'n'r,depression,
touring,money,kids,first wife,second wife...

One of his last big performances, July 1st I think.

Shits just sad now.

Most of their fans were teenagers when they came out. Then they finally released a second album, and it was a little more grown up, and all those teens got pissed at them.

Yeah out of all the celebrity deaths recently, this one has hit me the hardest. My depression was the worst through my teens/early 20's. It was so severe, and I was so alone, I don't understand how I got through it. Music was a big deal for me back then, and they were my favorite band.

When Meteora came out, it had a more hopeful and upbeat sound, with songs like somewhere I belong. That again mirrored events in my own life, as I was starting to get a bit more stable and put my life back together. I never knew Chester had such serious problems, I'd only heard about some issues with drugs and alcohol.

I've been thinking about it a lot, and I've been pretty depressed. Like you said, he had it all seemingly. Family, wealth, fame, fans, doing what he loves for a living. He still couldn't make it. I have next to nothing, and have actually been regressing as I age. I've learned to expect less from life. A lot less. Most days I'm at peace with that. Some days it hits me how little there really is to live for, and it's like hitting a brick wall.

But I endure, that's all we can do. Every day we survive is a victory. By rights I should be dead several times over, and many years ago. But I'm still here. Maybe some day this thing will finally overwhelm me, but not today.

If it hurts to be made fun of, this is the clearest sign you owe it to yourself to seek out people who won't make fun of you. And to remind yourself of your own voice. Not the voice that says bad things, but the voice that knows there is something beyond yourself. Listen to the voice that does right by you.

A lot of people don't understand and will lob jokes and insults and other such pillory, and you may think you somehow deserve this. Or worse, use their words as an excuse to dwell deeper inside your negative thoughts. These words may mirror your words, and it'll feel like shit to hear confirmation of your fears and misgivings. These are just bad thoughts. Bad feelings. Like the words, they can overtake your daily focus, which is why you have hustle and gumption. Guts may be in short supply, busy fighting against the depression and outside forces, but like any muscle it gets stronger the more you work it.

As the Buddhist say, all life is suffering.

If you don't choose your suffering, suffering will choose you and you will feel like a victim -- rather than a person who knowingly pays the cost of undertaking the vicissitudes of life. Choose, or be chosen. Either way you will suffer. So let it be your choice as to how and for what.
  • You want to suffer bad noise from bad jerks? Fuck that!
  • You want to suffer alienation from lazy loved ones? Fuck that!
  • You want to suffer the death of your contemporaries? There's nothing else you want to do?
    • What does any of the above earn you?
  • You want to suffer and TRY to gain everything you desire? That sound better?
Do something you love. Something you're willing to suffer for. Something you can look back and say, "Yeah, the sweat just makes the cool of the evening that much sweeter."

Reach out, help others and help yourself.

20258501_872615459561218_2165777984183275485_n.jpg

Last edited:
Robin Williams was a similar way... Dealt with crushing depression all the way to the age of 61 or whatever, but still decided he had finally had enough.

He was on a cocktail of alcohol & drugs when he did it.

Back