Why Chester Bennington's death has hit a nerve

Perhaps the most fucked up part is knowing WHY you are depressed doesn't HELP. I'm a very analytical and introspective person and have known why I'm this way for a long time, and knowing why doesn't magically fix it. And people absolutely get tired of dealing with it. Friends, family, girlfriends, wives, etc. Driving the people you love away just makes it all worse.
Relationships can be mended. It may need a whole lot of finesse, but they can.

Another reason against analyzing depression is the pitfall of being trapped by it. Not just depression, also your past. Regret is a mother fucker. It's like when you have a friend who has this bad habit you want to him to shake. If you keep telling him "don't do that," *THAT* is all he will think about. It's a constant focal point. Thinking about depression, even in analysis, and its effects, even with the intention to repair -- means you are dancing with the bear.

Can you hold a weight at arm's length indefinitely? Might it be easier to let go?

I try to encourage people to divert, without glossing over. Absolutely accept and appreciate the depth of the moment, but don't overthink it -- that is to say: don't think about it at all. It'll stick with you, so thinking will be automatic. I'm not saying shut that off.

The trick is pulling oneself out of the headspace. Change the pace.

But it's gotta be something you do, not something that is done to you. Drugs won't help. Being entertained is temporary. Getting blowjobs won't ... they will help. They will help but that's almost like an act, on account you gotta con someone into doing it. So...

Anyway, the point is DOING something. Not thinking about it. Not thinking at all. Men throw iron. Women dance in a circle around their purses. Introverts party BECAUSE no one is watching. Extroverts find their tribe. And some can accept it as an omnipresent voice that is only tamped down by getting pissed off and harnessing that fury into whipping life into being your bitch.

It may never "get better" -- whatever that means -- but those BJs are still nice. Go get em.

RIP to the fella,and I hope his family eventually manage to come to terms with their loss.

But for me,it's the least effected I've ever been by a celebrity death,for quite some time

I'm still gutted. Fuck all y'all. I was an adult when Hybrid Theory came out, I still loved it.

It's very easy to take the piss out of someone, I wasn't fond of the last couple of albums and whilst it won't change my being, I will miss Chester's music quite dearly.

In fact fuck it. With You's one of my favourite tracks ever.

I have empathy for his kids.

You could have empathy for both. Yes, he committed suicide while he had kids. People act like that's a sign of weakness, rather than being in a completely irrational state of mind. People commit suicide because they have a severely dysfunctional brain, not because they're "weak"

I think about cashing my chips in pretty much every day but I know there are quite a few pieces of subhuman filth who would take great delight if I offed myself and that is why if I ever do decide to check out I'll make damn sure those scumsucking fucks aint gonna be laughing after the fact. Nam sayin'?

giphy.gif

So many of his lyrics are really eerie to listen to now. He was crying out for help all along, or at least, putting his feelings out there, and yet, so many of us had Linkin Park down as a first-world-problems teen angst band.

People talk about this like it was a long term calculated decision.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was on a bad trip.

He was too successful to be on suicide watch.

If he had been I think he might have had a moment a week later where he looked back a week later and thought comitting suicide would have been completely ridiculous.

He had admitted in interviews that he found life hard, his voice almost wavering whilst saying it. I believe he was in long term anguish and would have been regardless of whether he used drugs or not.

People talk about this like it was a long term calculated decision.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was on a bad trip.

He was too successful to be on suicide watch.

If he had been I think he might have had a moment a week later where he looked back a week later and thought comitting suicide would have been completely ridiculous.
Honestly that's usually how it works. Depression has an ebb and flow to it. At it''s worst, death seems like a pretty good deal in exchange for the pain finally ending. When you climb back up from that low, you find it hard to believe how self destructive you could be. First time I tried to kill myself, the next day I said what the fuck was I thinking?

He had admitted in interviews that he found life hard, his voice almost wavering whilst saying it. I believe he was in long term anguish and would have been regardless of whether he used drugs or not.

People often act like drugs or alcohol is the issue. The issue is the pain gets so bad, you'll turn to them by default because they're the only thing that can quiet down the constant screaming going on in your brain. If I'm doing ok mentally I'll rarely want to drink. But during my worst depressions I used to get drunk every day, chain smoke, drugs every day. Self harm. Anything for a brief distraction from the pain. It gets so big you can't see anything else. You can't sleep, can't eat, can't concentrate. I don't think people understand depression isn't just "feeling sad"

My last bad stint I dropped down to like 135 lbs, and I am typically on the heavy side. Had no appetite and had to get high to want to eat most of the time.... for like 4 years.

Back when LP first became popular, it was before the age of mp3 players. I used to carry a portable cd player with me everywhere, with 2-3 cds. One of them was always Hybrid Theory or Meteora. They got me through so many bad times, and the whole time I never knew Chester had such serious problems. Just like me.

When my family threw me out on the street, they were there. When I came home after my first suicide attempt to an empty house. When my friends stopped talking to me one by one because I "was bringing them down" When I'd split with my on again off again girlfriend. When I lost my job for going on a rampage. When I got checked into the hospital because I'd finally lost it and had a complete nervous breakdown. They were there for me when I had nothing else and nobody else.

Probably why I'm taking this so hard. Thanks Chester, if it wasn't for you I might not be here today. You guys were the soundtrack to the worst times of my life. When I felt like nobody gave a shit if I lived or died, I could listen to your songs and feel like someone else understood. I wish you could have found the help you needed, or took some self worth out of the fact that there are millions of people out there that looked up to you the same way I did. Hope you're finally at peace now.

I don't want to be the only Chester fan here but nearly ALL of his lyrics were leading to this.

Absolutely gutted. Not been a fan of his music for 8 years but holy shit. One of the best bands I've seen, and that's repeatedly time after time, year after year.

A bunch of bitch made people who take their lives and leave their loved ones with agony and sorrow.

Toughen the fuck up!

I don't want to be the only Chester fan here but nearly ALL of his lyrics were leading to this.

A lot of the lyrics are pretty dark. I guess I just thought he was able to outrun his demons and find happiness in how successful he was. It's hard to put into words how sad and shocking it is. I always thought "this guy gets it, but he's still in an entirely different world than I am. He's going to be ok" Never thought I'd outlive him.

A bunch of bitch made people who take their lives and leave their loved ones with agony and sorrow.

Toughen the fuck up!
It's not that easy. If your mind keeps taking you to that dark place, it's not easy to pull yourself out of it. If you have depression or anxiety, you really overanalyse and hang on to negative things that have happened to you or have been said to you. Sometimes I hang on to negative comments for weeks and weeks and I know I should just brush it off but it isn't that easy.

Toughen the fuck up!
Yeah that's not how mental illness works. It's an illness, caused by serious dysfunction in brain chemistry. "Normal" people aren't tougher, they're just not mentally ill. I don't know why this is so difficult for people to comprehend. Even if you don't personally suffer from it, google is a thing. No excuse for being this ignorant about mental health in 2017.

"Well I'd never do something like that"

Yeah no shit, you're not sick. Suicide isn't something you do while you're in your right mind, in control of your thoughts and reactions.

In life, you're supposed to preserve yourself and survive. Look at the animal kingdom, survival of the fittest and all that. To reach a point where you want to kill yourself, be responsible for your own extinction, is the most unnatural thing in the world. We're supposed to be scared of death and do everything we can to avoid it. You must consider how helpless someone must feel to see death as a solution rather than a problem.

Yeah that's not how mental illness works. It's an illness, caused by serious dysfunction in brain chemistry. "Normal" people aren't tougher, they're just not mentally ill. I don't know why this is so difficult for people to comprehend. Even if you don't personally suffer from it, google is a thing. No excuse for being this ignorant about mental health in 2017.

"Well I'd never do something like that"

Yeah no shit, you're not sick. Suicide isn't something you do while you're in your right mind, in control of your thoughts and reactions.

I've got no issues with mental illness, there are plenty of people who are mentally ill. It's this entire aspect of "depression". This sounds like a first world problem. People will point to events in a person's life that triggered their depression. My rebuttal is life needs to go on.

My grandmother lost two of her children at infancy and she didn't end up having this severe depression and until her last days she was a joyful and loving person. As tough as it was to bury her infant children, she had two other kid's to take care because life had to go on.

I've got absolutely no sympathy towards people who commit suicide because they're depressed. If they were terminally ill or the jumpers during 9/11 I can also understand that. But just because you had some issues then that's some weak sauce. And especially if you have children?

Back