Why can't people just rent a room

Little backstory before my rant. So for the past 2 years I've been renting a house and Airbnbing the 3 spare bedrooms. Landlord was fine with it, it paid most of the bills each month, everyone's happy.

Then due to me changing careers, and so not working as much right now, and my gf having left months ago, so now I'm saddled with paying the full rent myself, I had to renegotiate my lease. So now I technically only rent a room, however my rent is based on the number of tenants I find (none and I pay full rent, each added person decreases my rent.)

Thankfully was able to find 2 tenents and this is where the troubles starts.

Why the fuck are people always so fixated on making everything communal? First day moving food into the kitchen "hey bro help yourself to the chips anytime." I don't want your fucking chips, if I did I would have asked. And you know what that'll lead to "hey bro can I burrow a few eggs?" Ok.... but is this gonna become a constant thing now or are you gonna buy your own shit?
And the offers to cook dinner a couple nights a week, ya I get it cool but I would much rather make my own food and not have to worry what your making me and then have to pretend that it's great.

And the fucking living room!

Every time I come into the house, one of the guys is lying on the couch. You got a room, man go up there. He then asks to use my laptop for Netflix... Are you a fucking child? Go get a laptop then you can watch Netflix on it.

It's like these people walk into the house and everything they see is fair game, regardless of who it belongs to. This isn't a group people banding together to face life's existencial crises. It's 2 guys renting rooms in the house that I take care of.

So why the fuck can't people just stay to the area of the house which they actually paid to occupy.

It may sound mean or douchey but its true. Screw roomates. Get your own pad. You have to at some point. Roomates always suck. Unless they are sexy girls who need back massages everyday..lol. but other than that a portion of life is maybe with roomate but eventually gotta move on to bigger and better things.

They fun when you young if they friends or you move to new city or country. The roommates depending on age and stuff can a be people you make friends with. But yes after say age 30 i no want a roommates.

Yeah, I remember that episode of Friends where Joey offers Ross some chips and Ross was like “I don’t want your freaking chips! If I did I would have asked..” In the next scene, Rachel asks Chandler if he has some eggs Chandler is like “No. Are you gonna buy your own shit?” Monica then offers to make everyone dinner and everyone says no cause her cooking probably sucks and we don’t want to pretend like it doesn’t. Then for the next 15 minutes of the episode the camera shoots an empty living room because everyone is in their fucking room cause that is the area that they paid to occupy.

Hilarious episode. Good times.

Yeah, I remember that episode of Friends where Joey offers Ross some chips and Ross was like “I don’t want your freaking chips! If I did I would have asked..” In the next scene, Rachel asks Chandler if he has some eggs Chandler is like “No. Are you gonna buy your own shit?” Monica then offers to make everyone dinner and everyone says no cause her cooking probably sucks and we don’t want to pretend like it doesn’t. Then for the next 15 minutes of the episode the camera shoots an empty living room because everyone is in their fucking room cause that is the area that they paid to occupy.

Hilarious episode. Good times.
Typical tv, portraying a situation that's just too good to be true.

You expect the renter to spend all their waking hours while home in the bedroom? That's not how it works. When you rent a room in a house, only your room is yours/off limits to the rest and all other common areas are communal.

Food issue can be handled with a simple discussion. Each have space in the fridge and tell them your stuff is considered off limits at all times. Let them know that you like to keep to yourself and do your own thing when it comes to meals and are particular about what you eat.

I'll NEVER understand why grown ass people will rent out space in their house or live with "stranger" roomates to save/make a couple bucks. If you can't afford the house/place on your own get a smaller place or rent an apartment by yourself. Home ownership isn't for everybody.

When people rest a room - assuming they don't have their own ensuite bathrooms - who is responsible for cleaning the bathrooms? Beyond the "clean up after yourself" stuff like scrubbing the tub, toilets, floors etc?

Boarding houses used to be very common. Usually single men would rent a room and the owner supplied breakfast, packed a lunch to take to work and an evening meal. Many were operated by widows as a way to make money.

I like the way people overlook the "renter asks to use laptop to watch Netflix" part. As if that has no bearing...but gets in the way of trying to big time OP like you all are the coolest most socially adept dudes ever...

When I was 19, I rented a room in a house that was portioned off.
The kitchen and dining room was completely sealed off and only 1 person had access to it. The living room was also sealed off and rented out to another person.
I only had access to my room and a shared bathroom with 2 other roommates.
It was the strangest thing I had ever seen.

I like the way people overlook the "renter asks to use laptop to watch Netflix" part. As if that has no bearing...but gets in the way of trying to big time OP like you all are the coolest most socially adept dudes ever...
Fucking thank you! I'm sorry but asking to use the personal laptop of someone you literally just met is ridiculous. And it's not as if it was for some urgent reason, like "ohh shit my phone died and I need to email my boss", it was to watch netflix. He was basically saying "hey man I'm bored and wanna go online, so can I use your laptop with all your personal info and accounts on it?"

Fucking thank you! I'm sorry but asking to use the personal laptop of someone you literally just met is ridiculous. And it's not as if it was for some urgent reason, like "ohh shit my phone died and I need to email my boss", it was to watch netflix. He was basically saying "hey man I'm bored and wanna go online, so can I use your laptop with all your personal info and accounts on it?"

Well, yeah, that is weird. Asking if you have any eggs is a little bit weird. A guy asking you if you want some chips is probably just trying to be friendly. A guy on the couch; well, you know, he really is paying rent for the place

Somebody hasn't taken his girlfriend leaving him too well it seems.

So you have a living room that you don't want anybody in?

He offered you some chips.. Sounds like he's just being nice.

Asking to use your laptop, youre not cool with it just say no....

You sound like an ass. These people don't have a bunch of money, or they wouldn't be renting a room. Lose your shit more over an egg, something that costs a quarter.

Sounds like you are not the type of person to be living with roommates.

I've had roommates my entire adult life. It's expensive to live here. These are not problems dude.. I lived with one couple that I caught smoking crack in the living room, they never slept and kept me up all night. That's a bad roommate.

Guy offering you chips is not

I've never heard of a situation like this. So you rent the house, yet the landlord just lets you rent out the other rooms all willy nilly? Makes no sense to me why a landlord would allow that to happen. It's like you're allowed to be landlord jr. I'm not sure what the law is but it sounds illegal to me.

The guy that said you need to move into an apartment is right, yet you responded to him by saying that moving would be a pain in the ass and you want your cats to be able to run around the whole house instead of just an apartment? Well first of all, you live inside of 1 room in a house so no, moving would not be a pain in the ass. Grown ups move the contents of their entire homes, garages and back yards all the time yet you can't be bothered to move 1/3 of that? Second of all, you sure seem ok with letting your cats run all around the house for someone who gets mad when other people want to use the other areas of the house. Maybe they don't want to deal with your cats all over the place? The world doesn't revolve around you man. If you want to live on the cheap, then you have to deal with the bullshit. Otherwise change your situation and quit complaining about it.

So you have a living room that you don't want anybody in?

He offered you some chips.. Sounds like he's just being nice.

Asking to use your laptop, youre not cool with it just say no....

You sound like an ass. These people don't have a bunch of money, or they wouldn't be renting a room. Lose your shit more over an egg, something that costs a quarter.

Sounds like you are not the type of person to be living with roommates.

I've had roommates my entire adult life. It's expensive to live here. These are not problems dude.. I lived with one couple that I caught smoking crack in the living room, they never slept and kept me up all night. That's a bad roommate.

Guy offering you chips is not
This. I remember when I was poor too, I had one roommate that we found blood squirted on the ceiling of one of the bathrooms which lead us to find out that this guy had taken to shooting up meth lol. Had to literally threaten a high-as-fuck tweaker with a bat to get him out of the house, but we did kick him out of the house right then and there.

Big surprise, living with two other broke moochers isnt rainbows and unicorns.
This is why people pay extra for their own pkace.

I thought about doing that, but moving everything would be a pain in the ass. Plus I have 2 cats and I'd feel bad moving them to an apartment when they're used to having a whole house to run around and explore.
No quality renter is going to live with the crazy cat lady

Well, yeah, that is weird. Asking if you have any eggs is a little bit weird. A guy asking you if you want some chips is probably just trying to be friendly. A guy on the couch; well, you know, he really is paying rent for the place
It's everything in conjunction that has me on edge. The offering shit, asking to occasionally eat some of my food and hanging out on the couch are all things I'd expect from most people moving in, but asking to use my laptop for a totally unimportant reason when I'm very clearly currently using sets off alarm bells to me. Combined that with the fact that his mother paid his rent and I'm very skeptical about this person's disposition.

I've never heard of a situation like this. So you rent the house, yet the landlord just lets you rent out the other rooms all willy nilly? Makes no sense to me why a landlord would allow that to happen. It's like you're allowed to be landlord jr. I'm not sure what the law is but it sounds illegal to me.
Until this month I was renting the entire house. My landlord didn't give a shit if I rented out the other rooms for airbnb as I was already paying for the whole place and if guests damaged/broke anything I had agreed to pay for it. Why should he care that I'm making money subletting in that way? If he wanted money for each individual room then he could've rented each room out at lower prices and had to worry about multiple people paying on time, as well as losing money from the time it takes to find people to fill each room.

The guy that said you need to move into an apartment is right, yet you responded to him by saying that moving would be a pain in the ass and you want your cats to be able to run around the whole house instead of just an apartment? Well first of all, you live inside of 1 room in a house so no, moving would not be a pain in the ass. Grown ups move the contents of their entire homes, garages and back yards all the time yet you can't be bothered to move 1/3 of that? Second of all, you sure seem ok with letting your cats run all around the house for someone who gets mad when other people want to use the other areas of the house. Maybe they don't want to deal with your cats all over the place? The world doesn't revolve around you man. If you want to live on the cheap, then you have to deal with the bullshit. Otherwise change your situation and quit complaining about it.

Huh? It wouldn't be a pain in the ass to move 4 beds, 3 dressers, 4 desks, a couch, tv and stand, dining room table and chairs, 4 night stands, 4 shelves/cabinets, an armoire and a fridge? I own every piece of furniture in the house, every one of the rooms being rented is furnished with my stuff.

As for the cats, every tenant knew about them prior to agreeing to anything. Don't like cats, then don't move in. These people are getting an obscene deal; month to month lease, flat fee, furnished room, internet. So you'll have to pardon me when I get a little annoyed by them acting as if we're all just roommates and everything's communal.

it sure sucks when your roommate has people over all the fuckin time

It's everything in conjunction that has me on edge. The offering shit, asking to occasionally eat some of my food and hanging out on the couch are all things I'd expect from most people moving in, but asking to use my laptop for a totally unimportant reason when I'm very clearly currently using sets off alarm bells to me. Combined that with the fact that his mother paid his rent and I'm very skeptical about this person's disposition.

Until this month I was renting the entire house. My landlord didn't give a shit if I rented out the other rooms for airbnb as I was already paying for the whole place and if guests damaged/broke anything I had agreed to pay for it. Why should he care that I'm making money subletting in that way? If he wanted money for each individual room then he could've rented each room out at lower prices and had to worry about multiple people paying on time, as well as losing money from the time it takes to find people to fill each room.

Huh? It wouldn't be a pain in the ass to move 4 beds, 3 dressers, 4 desks, a couch, tv and stand, dining room table and chairs, 4 night stands, 4 shelves/cabinets, an armoire and a fridge? I own every piece of furniture in the house, every one of the rooms being rented is furnished with my stuff.

As for the cats, every tenant knew about them prior to agreeing to anything. Don't like cats, then don't move in. These people are getting an obscene deal; month to month lease, flat fee, furnished room, internet. So you'll have to pardon me when I get a little annoyed by them acting as if we're all just roommates and everything's communal.

I just know if I was a landlord, I wouldn't want my tenant renting the other rooms out due to me not knowing who these characters are and just general liability issues since it seems like it's under the table. I'm not knocking you at all for it. Just seems like an odd thing for a landlord to allow.

Ok I didn't know you furnished the entire place, plus all the extra rooms. Sounds like you just need to be upfront with the other people before they move in and lay down the ground rules right off the bat.

Back