Why can't people just rent a room

How are you finding these people? Craigslist? You should probably specify in the ad you are not looking for a community or friends, just renting a room.

Little backstory before my rant. So for the past 2 years I've been renting a house and Airbnbing the 3 spare bedrooms. Landlord was fine with it, it paid most of the bills each month, everyone's happy.

Then due to me changing careers, and so not working as much right now, and my gf having left months ago, so now I'm saddled with paying the full rent myself, I had to renegotiate my lease. So now I technically only rent a room, however my rent is based on the number of tenants I find (none and I pay full rent, each added person decreases my rent.)

Thankfully was able to find 2 tenents and this is where the troubles starts.

Why the fuck are people always so fixated on making everything communal? First day moving food into the kitchen "hey bro help yourself to the chips anytime." I don't want your fucking chips, if I did I would have asked. And you know what that'll lead to "hey bro can I burrow a few eggs?" Ok.... but is this gonna become a constant thing now or are you gonna buy your own shit?
And the offers to cook dinner a couple nights a week, ya I get it cool but I would much rather make my own food and not have to worry what your making me and then have to pretend that it's great.

And the fucking living room!

Every time I come into the house, one of the guys is lying on the couch. You got a room, man go up there. He then asks to use my laptop for Netflix... Are you a fucking child? Go get a laptop then you can watch Netflix on it.

It's like these people walk into the house and everything they see is fair game, regardless of who it belongs to. This isn't a group people banding together to face life's existencial crises. It's 2 guys renting rooms in the house that I take care of.

So why the fuck can't people just stay to the area of the house which they actually paid to occupy.

I have always found having roommates to be very challenging, but I always established boundaries, and it was rare that those boundaries were crossed. I have dealt with some crazy shit, though. No roommates for me anymore. And, asking to use your laptop for Netflix? LOL That is a major invasion of personal space. You probably have a lot of personal information (including financial information) on your lap top. He might have had an agenda other than just watching Netflix.

Do these people have a sublease with you, or do they sign a lease directly with your landlord? Is it month-to-month or a longer agreement? Did you establish any "house rules" in writing?

Last edited:
Obviously I was a little too vague on the whole situation in my first post.

I moved into the house 2 years ago, gf moved in with me a little after that. The house has 4 bedrooms, originally it was 3 but convinced landlord to convert family room into a master bedroom, so I put a listing on Airbnb.

Due to the amount of traffic the one spare bedroom was getting, we decided to furnish all 3 of the spare bedrooms and list them. This went great; paid most of the rent each month, gf could focus on finishing up school, I got to take time off work for vacations, etc...

Then in April we broke up and she moved out. Not a huge problem, Airbnb was still covering most of the rent and I already had two summer long guests lined up to stay from June to August. So in June I end up going to back school and essentially take the summer off.

Come August I'm starting to get worried as the combination of taking summer off for school and becoming a bit of an alcoholic means that I've spent way more money than I'd planned. Plus with the job change I won't be back to making solid money for at least a few months and I know with summer over there's gonna be a drop off in guests. I'm also not splitting expenses anymore.

I freak out and renegotiate my lease, so my rent is dropped but will ultimately be raised if additional tenants aren't found, my rent will also be dropped by an additional amount for each tenant I do find. And so through a combination of panic and greed I found these poor fucks.
Ah I see now - You're not just a broke douchebag, you're a broke lazy douchebag. Thanks for clearing that up.

Also, lol at not having a TV that plays Netflix on it. Goddamn you're poor.

That was the plan, but I had no way of knowing that my corpselike relationship would end and I'd be extorted in order to keep one of my cats.
Oh, shit. That's fucked. You did the right thing then. Just remember, it's so you can provide a good life for your cat. And then do what you have to to get good roommates if possible.

I've never heard of a situation like this. So you rent the house, yet the landlord just lets you rent out the other rooms all willy nilly? Makes no sense to me why a landlord would allow that to happen. It's like you're allowed to be landlord jr. I'm not sure what the law is but it sounds illegal to me.

The guy that said you need to move into an apartment is right, yet you responded to him by saying that moving would be a pain in the ass and you want your cats to be able to run around the whole house instead of just an apartment? Well first of all, you live inside of 1 room in a house so no, moving would not be a pain in the ass. Grown ups move the contents of their entire homes, garages and back yards all the time yet you can't be bothered to move 1/3 of that? Second of all, you sure seem ok with letting your cats run all around the house for someone who gets mad when other people want to use the other areas of the house. Maybe they don't want to deal with your cats all over the place? The world doesn't revolve around you man. If you want to live on the cheap, then you have to deal with the bullshit. Otherwise change your situation and quit complaining about it.

The Landlord putting him in charge of renting out rooms is because he (the landlord) would need a special permit to do so. It's called an ABNB rental. My next door neighbor does this with his house as he works on the boats and is gone 6 months out of the year.

He basically rents it by the week or for the weekend as the neighborhood is close to downtown and has a great view of Lake Superior. The thing is that there is only one person on the block that is allowed this permit per city ordinance. Imo it sounds like TS's land lord is just covering his ass and putting it on his tenant through a sublet loophole.

I agree with most of these complaints. Not being able to go into the living room though? Come on man that's just ridiculous.

You're an only child, aren't you?

I just know if I was a landlord, I wouldn't want my tenant renting the other rooms out due to me not knowing who these characters are and just general liability issues since it seems like it's under the table. I'm not knocking you at all for it. Just seems like an odd thing for a landlord to allow.

Ok I didn't know you furnished the entire place, plus all the extra rooms. Sounds like you just need to be upfront with the other people before they move in and lay down the ground rules right off the bat.
Basically sub-letting the other rooms. He's ultimately responsible for their actions any damages. He's paying the full rent and they're paying him.

It was fun having sex while my roommate was at his desk studying. This happened a lot so he got used to it. @SammyPops

We used to record each other, accidentally walk in. If we did that shit today, we'd be charged with something SJW style.

Little backstory before my rant. So for the past 2 years I've been renting a house and Airbnbing the 3 spare bedrooms. Landlord was fine with it, it paid most of the bills each month, everyone's happy.

Then due to me changing careers, and so not working as much right now, and my gf having left months ago, so now I'm saddled with paying the full rent myself, I had to renegotiate my lease. So now I technically only rent a room, however my rent is based on the number of tenants I find (none and I pay full rent, each added person decreases my rent.)

Thankfully was able to find 2 tenents and this is where the troubles starts.

Why the fuck are people always so fixated on making everything communal? First day moving food into the kitchen "hey bro help yourself to the chips anytime." I don't want your fucking chips, if I did I would have asked. And you know what that'll lead to "hey bro can I burrow a few eggs?" Ok.... but is this gonna become a constant thing now or are you gonna buy your own shit?
And the offers to cook dinner a couple nights a week, ya I get it cool but I would much rather make my own food and not have to worry what your making me and then have to pretend that it's great.

And the fucking living room!

Every time I come into the house, one of the guys is lying on the couch. You got a room, man go up there. He then asks to use my laptop for Netflix... Are you a fucking child? Go get a laptop then you can watch Netflix on it.

It's like these people walk into the house and everything they see is fair game, regardless of who it belongs to. This isn't a group people banding together to face life's existencial crises. It's 2 guys renting rooms in the house that I take care of.

So why the fuck can't people just stay to the area of the house which they actually paid to occupy.

I feel you bruh. I am renting out my house and have 2 females living with me. 1 of the females used to have a boyfriend but they are broken up now and the boyfriend no longer lives here. Well the couple used to take some of the groceries I used to buy. It got so bad I had to resort to lowering their rent $50 for them to cut that shit out. Then they were like kids, I would need to tell them to clean the dishes and throw out the garbage.

The other female is awesome. She helps clean up the house for me and does so many other things like clean the bathroom and more. She pays the least in rent though because of it.

But yeah everything you said is true. You know what, I feel they say you can have my chips or other things, so when they take your stuff you can't say nothing because they let you take some of their stuff. Thats how they will justify taking advantage of you.

The couple did the same thing, but I would be like no thanks I want none of your food but I would be thinking in my head you better leave my shit alone though.

It was awkward for the rest of the day, I essentially stayed out of the house and hid from her when I was home lol. But we were pretty friendly so after that there was kind of an unspoken agreement that it never happened.

It's not the positive actions, it's their implications.
How is no one getting this? You wanna offer me a snack fine, but when that offer is quickly followed by you asking me, someone you've known 1 day, to use my laptop to watch netflix, that tells me something.

Trust me I get it. They use that chips offering to take advantage of you since you are the one renting out to them. So anything that happens the onus is on you. Fuck em. and if its a hot lady then fuck her too, :D.

Should've found the most awkward, Redditor-type people to rent to. Very high chance they'd just spend all day/night in their rooms, though you'd have to put up with the crunching of cheese puffs and constant cackling.

don't have a couch in the living room then. have chairs and tables only. put your couch in storage. have 2 fridges, food that you don't mind sharing keep them in the kitchen fridge and food that's only for you, keep it in your room fridge along w/your beers. have only a small tv in the living room and keep your big tv in your room. if they bring over girls and it's your home you're renting out, make sure they introduce. problem solved. these aren't your family or friends. they're roomates. there's a huge difference. limit the amount of eating utensils and dishes u have in the kitchen. have like 2 plates, 2 bowls, 1 pan and 1 pot and 3 pairs of forks and spoons. THAT'S IT. that way there's no choice but to wash dishes if they're aren't any clean dishes left and if somebody has to wash em, there's not much to wash.

Last edited:
I rented rooms for years and I never had those problems.

Problems I had were to do with filthy bathrooms, noisy neighbours and some asshole nearly burnt down the building by leaving the oven on overnight.

Also, I was offered a similar spot that you had, to get a room but also to be in charge of keeping it stocked with roommates. We would all be charged extra if a room was empty, which turned me right off the idea.

First day: "Here bro have some chips."

A few weeks later: "Hey bro, can I borrow your car to go to your girlfriend's house?"

<seedat>

You have to make things crystal clear in the lease.

Like:

No living room privileges.
Limited bathroom privileges (no dumping).

@TeTe Serious question- I found an add on a website offering to rent a room, but the renter must be tranny friendly. Can I post it here or is that breaking some kind of rule?

Don't ask how I found the add ..... b/c I was obviously doing research to help the TS.

For the record you probably shouldn't be renting a room to a guy who can't afford Netflix or a laptop.

Back