Why buy dogs instead of adopting?

yeah i am not sure why i decided to buy a schnauzer from the breeders. but i dont regret it. and i really cant stand those over bearing people who hound you on why you chose to go to a breeder instead of a shelter. ummm because its my fucking choice.

Because. The master races must thrive and flourish. Hitler dog agrees.
hitler_2744936b.jpg
Making reference to an earlier thread regarding when was the last time you belly laughed - this was it my friend. This was it.

For me it ended up cheaper buying a pup than getting one from a shelter. I'm in oz and I wanted a pup but only pups at shelters they jacked the price right up. plus my preference was a whippet/sighthound and they never had pups for those at shelters. also they regester them here before your take them and fuck that

I felt the same way, but the wife convinced me on a hypoallergenic breed that doesn't shed. We used to have a dog that would shed really bad, and man, it's a world of difference.

I could never bring myself round to tell the dog it was adopted, thats why.

Lol. I'm scared the dog will grow up always wondering who it's real parents are and as a teenager it will justify bad behavior with, "I don't have listen to you! You're not even my real Dad!"

So my local shelter wont let you adopt unless they can send someone round to "inspect" your house. Now I'm sure they do this for valid reasons but the thought of a random "inspecting" my personal space really puts me off.

I tried adopting a beautiful cat from a petsmart a while ago and the lady said i wasn't "independent enough". I was confused as hell considering I already own a house, have a job, etc. Some of the shelter type people have more expectations of a pet owner than trying to adopt a child lol

Some people, like my wife for instance, want a pure bread. I don't get it either. Pure bread dogs will likely get a good home anyway. I wanted to adopt a dog and save it from a life of pain and suffering. My wife is compassionate, but like all women, that compassion is not present if she wants something.

PetSmart is legit and they're owned by M&M Mars company. I'm pretty sure they don't sell animals but they do have animals for adoption.

PetCo is a filthy puppy mill distribution outlet. Don't go to Petco
Fuck PetCo. They bought out Dr Foster & Smith and turned it into crap. They had the best customer service, you talked to someone in Wisconsin when you called them instead of India.
They ruined Dr Foster & Smiths live saltwater animal site, liveaquaria.com, also. They were one of the leaders in coral propagation, quality livestock, etc and now it's pathetic.

Forget the cost of a breeder dog. If that's your problem, you might want to reconsider why you want a dog. $2,000 for a high end breed that lives for a minimum 10 years is $200 a year. How much do you pay for your phone per month?

If you want to think that you're saving a life by getting a rescue dog, go for it. But be prepared to step up if the dog has issues. Commit to solving those issues whether it be behavior or medical. I feel like too many people get rescue dogs for the appearance of being sympathetic. "Oh, I got him as a rescue, he was about to be put down." Then when issues pop up, the dog gets locked in a kennel all day or dropped back off at the shelter. This often exacerbates their existing problems.( Letting medical issues linger untreated or behavior issues worse like anxiety) This is the reason that good shelters interview adopters and make house visits. If you catch these people early, you can prevent them from ruining an otherwise adoptable dog.

For people who want more of a sure thing on getting a well behaved dog without medical issues, that's when you go breeder. I argue that the vast majority of dog owners should be going this way, especially if you are a first time dog owner. Most people I see are unwilling to dedicate more than an hour a day to their pets. That's pretty much feed, walk and bathroom break. That's not enough time to care for a special needs dogs or to fix issues.

Back