Why buy dogs instead of adopting?

It pisses me off when I see apartment dwelling city people gushing about the dog they just adopted. Six months and 200 instagram pics later they realize they have allergies, want to move to a different apartment that doesn't allow dogs, got a job that requires travel, dog ate their expensive leather shoes, dog is aggressive due to a lack of training, etc. Dog is given away like a purse that went out of style.

There are many places you can find free puppies now days, join the right fb group and talk to shelters etc.

I looked for weeks or months for a dog for my kids. After having springer spaniels as house dogs for years, I had one rule that it had to be a SMALL dog. Do you know how many small dogs are up for adoption in rural Ohio? Zero. I ended up paying $300 for a long hair Chihuahua/fox terrier mixed mutt. Growing up, mixed breed dogs were given away or cost no more than $25 to cover vet costs. This was actually the cheapest mutt I found, most were $700-$1500.

Growing up as a kid, we had a very expensive purebred Yellow Lab from a reputable kennel and it was worth it. The dog never showed aggression and was incredibly tolerant of us because my brother and I, especially my brother, really put him through the ringer. If you have a kid you want to protect and you're not poor, there's no harm in paying a little extra for an ultra-reliable purebred dog from solid breeding stock sold by a reputable breeder. The notion you either have to get a shelter dog or it's coming from a puppy factory is ridiculous. If anything, a lot of shelter dogs are dogs that come from puppy mills and some family picked them up, didn't want them anymore, and then they wound up in the shelter. I'm not necessarily saying you can't get a great dog from a shelter, maybe even a true purebred, but there's a ring of truth in the old saying that you get what you pay for. I wouldn't rule out getting a shelter dog if I ever get a dog again, but I kind of have a sentimental attachment to getting another purebred Yellow Lab from good stock and a reputable kennel.

57605058.jpg

Well I'm torn on this subject. Part of me really wants to rescue a dog. But I also want a really young puppy that I can train from the beginning & also help mold their personality. Also dogs have short lives & getting them young maximizes the amount of time you have with them. Its tough adopting a mature dog knowing sometimes you'll only have a few good years to spend with them. Adopting a mature a dog that's already house broken & beyond their wild puppy stage can have benefits too.

Like I said I'm torn. I was fortunate enough to adopt a very young puppy from the wild. She was house broken at 5 weeks & does nothing wrong ever. She's the perfect dog. I got very lucky. She's 8 now & I don't know what I'll do when I lose her.
image.jpeg

It costs $200 or more to get a dog from a shelter around here. They have to be spayed or neutered plus the $75 shelter fee, $35 to have the chip information transferred. There aren't usually any puppies in the local shelters. Most dogs are 4 or 5 years old so you might only have them for 8 to 10 years or less.

Many people want a puppy to grow up with their children. Some want a certain breed. I've had 2 dogs as puppies that were born in the owners houses. I've had 2 shelter dogs.
$200 is expensive, but that's one of those deals where at least you know your money is going to a good cause

You don't want to buy from a puppy mill, but it is preferred to buy from a well-regarded breeder...you also want to see the mom and dad so that you can see them and judge their temperament, etc...we had a badass german shepherd when I was a kid, my mom told me they did a ton of research, and this breeder had his mom and dad, let us be around them etc...he was a great dog...after he died we bought another german shepherd, but it was more of an impulse buy, her parents didn't have a good temperament, etc, and she turned out to be bat shit crazy and eventually had to be put down...this is a google image, but our first one looked almost exactly like this, our second one didn't look nearly as pure...

6247506_orig.jpg

I commend you for your actions of adopting instead of buying but I can understand why people would buy from a breeder instead since you would pretty much be raising the pup from start.
With an animal shelter, you really don't know what you are getting because the dog could end up being aggressive and attack someone which would bring lawsuits against yourself.
I have both adopted and bought from a breeder and the two dogs I have I love equally. With the adopted formesian dog I have, he still tries to lunge after people on skate boards and bikes whenever I walk him on a lease. He hasn't attacked anyone so far but he has nipped one obese person and barked at other obese people in open dog parks for some reason

because I want a brand new 2017 model, not some used mutual that might go for my jugular when the microwave goes off because use previous owners used to beat him.

I like large breed dogs that are known to be protective/aggressive and I don't want one that was taught to be a monster by some POS for 6-18 months of its life. +100lbs dogs can be dangerous weapons if not trained properly raised.

The pounds are full of nothing but pitbulls and chihuahuas here

I have a rescue dog and specific outdoor hunting dog and I wove them both the same

Another possible source atleast for me since I'm forever going to be a cat daddy is retired breeder cats.

Very high quality, very well mannered, dont have to worry about training for litter boxes, dont have to worry about how they'll be as adult cats, etc.

Plus retired breeder cats are typically a fraction of the cost of a pure breed kitten and half the hastle.

Buying my 4 year old cat Triton as an adult was the best decision I made. He was already use to a litterbox, is extremely laid back, hasn't changed attitudes since I got him 2 years ago (hes 6 now), and he is the best cat I've ever had.

Adult cats>>>kittens

Many people buy a dog that says something about them.

I, when I get a dog will be looking for a family friendly, small to medium short hair breed. Probably of Scandinavian origin, some of them have some of the oldest dog genetics and that appeals to me.

I will choose carefully.

Going to a shelter will do nothing for me and I don't care much that a one dog might die as a result.

That said, all my cats have been rescues. Their phenotype is much more stable though.

I looked for weeks or months for a dog for my kids. After having springer spaniels as house dogs for years, I had one rule that it had to be a SMALL dog. Do you know how many small dogs are up for adoption in rural Ohio? Zero. I ended up paying $300 for a long hair Chihuahua/fox terrier mixed mutt. Growing up, mixed breed dogs were given away or cost no more than $25 to cover vet costs. This was actually the cheapest mutt I found, most were $700-$1500.
Try a reservation. I literally see puppies, small included, up for adoption all the time.

I commend you for your actions of adopting instead of buying but I can understand why people would buy from a breeder instead since you would pretty much be raising the pup from start.
With an animal shelter, you really don't know what you are getting because the dog could end up being aggressive and attack someone which would bring lawsuits against yourself.
I have both adopted and bought from a breeder and the two dogs I have I love equally. With the adopted formesian dog I have, he still tries to lunge after people on skate boards and bikes whenever I walk him on a lease. He hasn't attacked anyone so far but he has nipped one obese person and barked at other obese people in open dog parks for some reason
The dog has good instincts, he's trying to get the fatties to run and get in shape.

Back