Why aren't knife hands (chops) used more in pro competitions like UFC?

it can work for a ko, there's a video where a karate teacher kos a pimp with a chop to the neck

Like a moron I decided to lightly karate chop myself behind the ear and it hurt a bit. Definitely not pleasant. Tried it with a punch and again, not comfortable but that karate chop was worse. Smaller area of impact.

#science.

If your hitting with your knuckles it's even less surface area than your karate chop spot

The surface area of each is pretty similar. The benefit of the karate chop spot is there are no brittle bones in that surface area. It's like throwing a kick with your heel vs with your toes.

If I wanted to fuck someone up I'd use kote uchi - it's a bit like the casting punch but with the lower blade of the forearm:

It's more of a Okinawan Karate technique - I don't think it's taught in most mainland karate styles like shotokan, wado, kyokushin etc.

The surface area of each is pretty similar. The benefit of the karate chop spot is there are no brittle bones in that surface area. It's like throwing a kick with your heel vs with your toes.

If I wanted to fuck someone up I'd use kote uchi - it's a bit like the casting punch but with the lower blade of the forearm:

It's more of a Okinawan Karate technique - I don't think it's taught in most mainland karate styles like shotokan, wado, kyokushin etc.

I do this sometimes. I throw as though its an overhand and connect with the fore arm. Keeping the elbow slightly bent. I learned it from a Bas Rutten video, he called it the clothesline because of the pro wrestling move. I knew it came from karate, but its still cool to see. I quite like the kote uchi.

I do this sometimes. I throw as though its an overhand and connect with the fore arm. Keeping the elbow slightly bent. I learned it from a Bas Rutten video, he called it the clothesline because of the pro wrestling move. I knew it came from karate, but its still cool to see. I quite like the kote uchi.

now the question is, why we don't see open palm strike more in ufc? is it illegal?

There may be some room in MMA to toss in an overhead ridgehand now & then.

Smashing someone in the face/neck with your forarm is a good move in a fight, no denying it. That's different than trying to do it with the ridge of your hand and hoping you don't break your pinky or thumb.

now the question is, why we don't see open palm strike more in ufc? is it illegal?

I think it might be with the new 2017 rules that prohibit having open hands outstretched.

Back