Why aren't knife hands (chops) used more in pro competitions like UFC?

Joe Son

WJFJUEP.gif
t7fEq9f.jpg

Strikes to the carotid sinus are legit, it makes your brain think your blood pressure is like 12000000 over 80 and it shuts everything down. It's not a knife hand though, it's a thrust into the neck that sometimes uses the side of the hand. More like a palm punch in that scenario. Or just a good ol' fashion punch to the side of the throat.

Edit: Actually after rewatching that for the first time in like 15 years I don't think he hit the carotid sinus, he just blasted a drunk guy off his feet behind the ear or something. But whatever, fun video, and you can KO someone with that target.

Strikes to the carotid sinus are legit, it makes your brain think your blood pressure is like 12000000 over 80 and it shuts everything down. It's not a knife hand though, it's a thrust into the neck that sometimes uses the side of the hand. More like a palm punch in that scenario. Or just a good ol' fashion punch to the side of the throat.

Edit: Actually after rewatching that for the first time in like 15 years I don't think he hit the carotid sinus, he just blasted a drunk guy off his feet behind the ear or something. But whatever, fun video, and you can KO someone with that target.

damn that didnt look like he got much extension on that but it must of hit the right spot.

w00d bang pink shorts ho

"Knife hands" are effective... just not so much in a fair fight where you're wearing gloves. Good for self defense, bad for combat sports.

When I used to spar in kickboxing there was one guy that always punched me on the corners of my shoulders right at the start of our sessions. It was horrible - took all the power out of my arms right from the start, throwing punches hurt. I hated sparring with that guy, but Indoubt it would have the same effect with the adrenaline.

Knife chops to the collar bone would be better than head... Krav Maga style. Those shits hurts like fuck even at 40%.

Because not even Karateka use hammer fists in stand up sparring. They should and they might be effective but if even Karateka aren't sparring with them for damn sure MMA fighters aren't.

EDIT: If Karate dojo actually let me use all the strikes and techniques taught in Karate I might still be training in a dojo instead of a Muay Thai gym that lets me spar more freely.

Because you'll break your fuckin hand on the top of your opponents head.

Huh...

I don't think I've ever seen anyone in Karate throw a knife-hand on top of someone's head.

The ideal spot is the neck, jaw & under the ear. A knife hand strike is a lot safer that using your knuckles - less likely to break/snap.

The knife hand is like the heel of the foot but for the hand.

Behind the ear is what where you're taught to throw most of the open hand strikes including knife hand - at least with the styles I've tried. The effect is pretty similar to the effect you'd have if you hit someone's neck with it.

Definitely more applicable for self defense than sports/competition use.

I think kote uchi would be more effective & dangerous.

Huh...

I don't think I've ever seen anyone in Karate throw a knife-hand on top of someone's head.

The ideal spot is the neck, jaw & under the ear. A knife hand strike is a lot safer that using your knuckles - less likely to break/snap.

The knife hand is like the heel of the foot but for the hand.
i guess my point is that a fight is dynamic and targets always shifting/moving. Trying to land a karate chop or a knife hand on those targets while someone is throwing punches and moving their head even a little bit is going to be much harder than landing a straight punch to the face. The idea of hitting something as hard as a head with either my pinky or my thumb makes me cringe.

I suppose we could all meet in the middle and agree on palm strikes

This is not really related, but a running joke my friend would make about me training martial arts was that I could karate chop someone in the neck and they would explode.

Behind the ear is what where you're taught to throw most of the open hand strikes including knife hand - at least with the styles I've tried. The effect is pretty similar to the effect you'd have if you hit someone's neck with it.

Definitely more applicable for self defense than sports/competition use.

I think kote uchi would be more effective & dangerous.

Like a moron I decided to lightly karate chop myself behind the ear and it hurt a bit. Definitely not pleasant. Tried it with a punch and again, not comfortable but that karate chop was worse. Smaller area of impact.

i was comparing it to the neck chop or whatever hes talking about. theres useful things in karate. youll find alot of muay thai fighters started out in a TMA as kids usually, provides a good transition.

Like a moron I decided to lightly karate chop myself behind the ear and it hurt a bit. Definitely not pleasant. Tried it with a punch and again, not comfortable but that karate chop was worse. Smaller area of impact.
#science.

If your hitting with your knuckles it's even less surface area than your karate chop spot

Couple of things;
1. Knife hand STRIKES are usually meant to target soft tissue. The only targets that are worth it to use knifehands on are illegal in MMA.

2. The gloves make it impossible to provide the small surface area to concentrate force in a knife hand. So, it's usually better to use hammerfists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back