Who's the more legit LW champ? Tony or Conor?

Hi sherdoggers,

I want to gauge your opinions in this matter. Who is the more legit champion right now?

Tony Ferguson:
On the plus side, he is officially recognised as the interim champion and is on a 10 fight win streak...the longest in the division. He has also beaten better lightweight competition than the rest of the division.
On the negative side, he did not beat a Champion or even a top of the line contender to win the belt, he beat Kevin Lee...who while a good fighter, is unproven at the top level.

Conor McGregor:
On the plus side...he is officially recognised as the UFC lightweight Champion. He fought the reigning undisputed champ (Alvarez) and KOd him easily. The lineage of his title goes back many years.

On the negative side: he has only had 1 fight at lightweight, and has not fought in a year. He has only really beaten 2 high level lightweight in his career (and one was at a higher division).

To me, Conor is the real champ still, but Tony has the #1 ranking.
I see it like Tennis and many other sports in that the #1 ranked and the true Champion are not always the same person.
The guy that doesnt have only 1 fight in the division

Conor is the official belt holder but he hasn't fought or defended the belt in the one year that he's held it, while Ferguson is the rightful #1 contender and currently riding a 10-fight win streak. They should just duke it out ASAP so that we can call the winner the real champ and be done with it.

Conor is the lineal champ lol.

Tony is the best lightweight on the planet, the people's champ, and will be the official champ before long.

I hate to say and I wish it wasn't so, but it is Conor. He came in and KO'd "legit" champ. That person being the of late maligned, and underrated, Eddie Alvarez. Conor unfortunately seems to have some major power clause in his contract, so division(s) is on hold while Conor goes out and makes Mega-bucks, launches on a series of circus fights and the UFC hangs on like a Sled Dog Caption that has lost control of his Dog Team on a wild ride that said Captian still believes will lead to Riches and Glory for everyone (and in this case repayment of that 4B$ price tag).

The fact that he hasn't defended yet sucks, but the UFC is entirely complicit in this and aren't about to shit on their biggest star (publicly). Conor could vacate, and just like DC, Tony would be a "paper champ". Frustrating situation and made even more annoying by the fact that Conor has never really defended.

Part of me says FOOK that guy, part of me say Fuck the UFC, and part of me sees the reality of a company needing to make some money to recoup a 4B$ payout. It's a mess and hopefully we will emerge someday soon back to some quality MMA with Good fighter "A" fighting good fighter "B". This may be too much to ask for in these modern times though.

Hi sherdoggers,

I want to gauge your opinions in this matter. Who is the more legit champion right now?

Tony Ferguson:
On the plus side, he is officially recognised as the interim champion and is on a 10 fight win streak...the longest in the division. He has also beaten better lightweight competition than the rest of the division.
On the negative side, he did not beat a Champion or even a top of the line contender to win the belt, he beat Kevin Lee...who while a good fighter, is unproven at the top level.

Conor McGregor:
On the plus side...he is officially recognised as the UFC lightweight Champion. He fought the reigning undisputed champ (Alvarez) and KOd him easily. The lineage of his title goes back many years.

On the negative side: he has only had 1 fight at lightweight, and has not fought in a year. He has only really beaten 2 high level lightweight in his career (and one was at a higher division).

To me, Conor is the real champ still, but Tony has the #1 ranking.
I see it like Tennis and many other sports in that the #1 ranked and the true Champion are not always the same person.
Your question, and the interesting assortment of answers it's produced, is the reason why it has to be Tony vs. Conor next. It just has to be. If Conor fights someone else it will be the same as a loss in a way, in that Tony will become the 100% legit LW King. We all know Tony is down to fight Conor, so the ball is now in Conor's court.

Who is the more legit champ right now? It's a tie. Which is why Tony vs. Conor must happen.

Conman beat one LW fighter and lost to gatekeeper Diaz. Tony is on a record unpresedented streak 10-0 in LW record is 8-0 really and he's two past that. Tony's only loss in 19 UFC fights is a freak broken arm and MJ still couldnt finish him with 2 rounds of a broken arm.

IMO Tony. Not only real champ. TBE.

I live in a world where I refuse to recognize interim titles, so McGregor.

Now if he would just defend a title for once.....
I respect that opinion, but in all seriousness you must not be a very happy fan with the current state of belts in the UFC lol

{<jordan}

Interim title is not a legit title. It's not a rocket science, dummies.

Tony by far, conor has exactly one win in the division and lost just a couple fights ago to another LW in Diaz.

conor is one of the least deserving champs in UFC history, let alone when compared to what Tony has done.

Regardless, Conor beat the real champ, so he's champion.

its a hard question to answer coz if eddie was still champ would he not be considered the legit champ coz tony has a higher win streak? same if dos anjos was still champ. Simple answer is until he faces the pressure of a real title fight and comes out on top, hes not the legit champ

I just commented on that thread about flukiest knockouts, and totally forgot to mention Alvarez vs RDA. I like Alvarez, but damn he was an unlikely champ. Probably the least dominate LW champ in UFC history.

/
its a hard question to answer coz if eddie was still champ would he not be considered the legit champ coz tony has a higher win streak? same if dos anjos was still champ. Simple answer is until he faces the pressure of a real title fight and comes out on top, hes not the legit champ
its not tonys fault he's mexican instead of great white hope and not that marketable so they refuse to give him a shot like 3-2-1 fights ago. But he'll have no problem with pressure. Guy loses like every 1st round and comes back like its nothing.

who cares if Tony is the legit champ and if conor lost to floyd? Conor just won 100 million dollars guys in his last match and he's the richest ufc fighter ever! he owns these bums hahahhaa

- conor's retarded fans

Tony is the more proven Lightweight and I think he beats Conor once they fight(if) but Conor earned his number 1 spot. Not a fan of Eddie Alvarez' run through the UFC but he did beat 3 legit names even if it was unimpressive and/or under certain circumstances, won the belt and Conor snatched it from him like it was nobody's business.

Fuck titles, tony is the best lightweight on earth right now and in my opinion the best lightweight ever. It's just a shame if Conor ducks him he will never get the recognition he deserves, he's old and I don't know how much longer he has left at the top. Even if he does get the belt at this stage he will probably only defend it once or twice. Hopefully he at least reaches the record of 3 if he wins the belt.

There a difference here... Both Dos Anjos and Eddie fights at 155 and has several fights there..
Conor has one fight almost a year ago. Secondly both DA and Eddie put their title on the line, there would not be an interim title based on inactivity at 155.
If Dos Anjos or Eddie held the title the question would not be who is the real champ but more who is the best LW.

Back