Who's the more legit LW champ? Tony or Conor?

Katsumi Yamada

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Hi sherdoggers,

I want to gauge your opinions in this matter. Who is the more legit champion right now?

Tony Ferguson:
On the plus side, he is officially recognised as the interim champion and is on a 10 fight win streak...the longest in the division. He has also beaten better lightweight competition than the rest of the division.
On the negative side, he did not beat a Champion or even a top of the line contender to win the belt, he beat Kevin Lee...who while a good fighter, is unproven at the top level.

Conor McGregor:
On the plus side...he is officially recognised as the UFC lightweight Champion. He fought the reigning undisputed champ (Alvarez) and KOd him easily. The lineage of his title goes back many years.

On the negative side: he has only had 1 fight at lightweight, and has not fought in a year. He has only really beaten 2 high level lightweight in his career (and one was at a higher division).

To me, Conor is the real champ still, but Tony has the #1 ranking.
I see it like Tennis and many other sports in that the #1 ranked and the true Champion are not always the same person.

Khabib say Tony real champ

Will smash

Tony must be real champ then

I live in a world where I refuse to recognize interim titles, so McGregor.

Now if he would just defend a title for once.....

The guy with the longest win streak in division history. /thread

Conor lost his credibility as champ when he left MMA to box. He will not be a true champion again until he beats Tony.

el-cucuy.jpg

Hi sherdoggers,

I want to gauge your opinions in this matter. Who is the more legit champion right now?

Tony Ferguson:
On the plus side, he is officially recognised as the interim champion and is on a 10 fight win streak...the longest in the division. He has also beaten better lightweight competition than the rest of the division.
On the negative side, he did not beat a Champion or even a top of the line contender to win the belt, he beat Kevin Lee...who while a good fighter, is unproven at the top level.

Conor McGregor:
On the plus side...he is officially recognised as the UFC lightweight Champion. He fought the reigning undisputed champ (Alvarez) and KOd him easily. The lineage of his title goes back many years.

On the negative side: he has only had 1 fight at lightweight, and has not fought in a year. He has only really beaten 2 high level lightweight in his career (and one was at a higher division).

To me, Conor is the real champ still, but Tony has the #1 ranking.
I see it like Tennis and many other sports in that the #1 ranked and the true Champion are not always the same person.
Frankie Edgar

Conor. He destroyed the champ to become the champ. Until Conor is beaten or is stripped, then he’s the champ. Any other answer is just opinion.

Tony of course. He earned it.

Edit* before someone quotes me about lineage. lets not forget its "sports entertainment" UFC controls the match making and ranking has been nothing but promotional tools

Last edited:
Tony IMO. If Conor had to work his way up the ladder he would have never made it to the top.

Conor just because he beat the guy that beat the guy, etc, lineal champ basically

Tony whooped and went through everyone, Conor beat Eddie...lol, and has yet to defend. It is a no brainer, Conor should just vacate and retire already, everyone knows he's gonna fight Nate or even worse, Paulie?

Tony is the legit champ, I don't even know how it can be debatable. Conor only has 1 fight in LW division against a guy who has looked awful in UFC except for 1 fight with RDA.

Tony whooped and went through everyone, Conor beat Eddie...lol, and has yet to defend. It is a no brainer, Conor should just vacate and retire already, everyone knows he's gonna fight Nate or even worse, Paulie?
I love u

Back