Who's the more legit LW champ? Tony or Conor?

Hi sherdoggers,

I want to gauge your opinions in this matter. Who is the more legit champion right now?

Tony Ferguson:
On the plus side, he is officially recognised as the interim champion and is on a 10 fight win streak...the longest in the division. He has also beaten better lightweight competition than the rest of the division.
On the negative side, he did not beat a Champion or even a top of the line contender to win the belt, he beat Kevin Lee...who while a good fighter, is unproven at the top level.

Conor McGregor:
On the plus side...he is officially recognised as the UFC lightweight Champion. He fought the reigning undisputed champ (Alvarez) and KOd him easily. The lineage of his title goes back many years.

On the negative side: he has only had 1 fight at lightweight, and has not fought in a year. He has only really beaten 2 high level lightweight in his career (and one was at a higher division).

To me, Conor is the real champ still, but Tony has the #1 ranking.
I see it like Tennis and many other sports in that the #1 ranked and the true Champion are not always the same person.

I go with Conor, he beat the champ and holds more wins over current top 10 LWs even though he has only fought once at LW.
Winning by decision over a former LW champ is not as impressive as what Conor did to Eddie.

I go with Conor, he beat the champ and holds more wins over current top 10 LWs even though he has only fought once at LW.
Winning by decision over a former LW champ is not as impressive as what Conor did to Eddie.

Nate Diaz is the equivalent of Dennis Siver in the top 10. He's coming up on 2 years without fighting in the division and he's only there to justify a 3rd fight with Conor if they make it.

How is that even a question?

Conor beat the actual champ. The guy who beat the two former champs (Pettis and RDA, KO'd the later)

Tony beat young Kevin whose biggest win is Michael Chiesa in a fight that had a lot of questions.

Nate Diaz is the equivalent of Dennis Siver in the top 10. He's coming up on 2 years without fighting in the division and he's only there to justify a 3rd fight with Conor if they make it.

Diaz has two top wins in his last 3 fights. One against the champ.. When did Dennis Siver ever do this? Diaz beat Conor in his prime, ok it was at a diff weightclass .. Silver beat a old shot BJ penn.. Thats the difference.

Diaz has two top wins in his last 3 fights. One against the champ.. When did Dennis Siver ever do this? Diaz beat Conor in his prime, ok it was at a diff weightclass .. Silver beat a old shot BJ penn.. Thats the difference.

So finishing an unranked LW/WW at WW then losing a decision to the same unranked LW/WW at WW keeps you in the LW rankings after almost 2 years of inactivity in that division?

Sorry, but fights at 170 have no bearing on rankings at 155.

Diaz is only in the top 10 because if they make a Conor/Diaz 3, they can justify it rankings wise. Just how Dennis Siver magically appeared in the FW top 10 when he was scheduled to fight Conor.

Conor is a legit champion. He beat the former champion.

He *may or may not* be a better fighter than Tony (or Healthy Khabib) head-to-head.

Those points aren't in conflict. That's why they have the fights.

Which ever one defends the belt first

Hi sherdoggers,

I want to gauge your opinions in this matter. Who is the more legit champion right now?

Tony Ferguson:
On the plus side, he is officially recognised as the interim champion and is on a 10 fight win streak...the longest in the division. He has also beaten better lightweight competition than the rest of the division.
On the negative side, he did not beat a Champion or even a top of the line contender to win the belt, he beat Kevin Lee...who while a good fighter, is unproven at the top level.

Conor McGregor:
On the plus side...he is officially recognised as the UFC lightweight Champion. He fought the reigning undisputed champ (Alvarez) and KOd him easily. The lineage of his title goes back many years.

On the negative side: he has only had 1 fight at lightweight, and has not fought in a year. He has only really beaten 2 high level lightweight in his career (and one was at a higher division).

To me, Conor is the real champ still, but Tony has the #1 ranking.
I see it like Tennis and many other sports in that the #1 ranked and the true Champion are not always the same person.
Mc is the UFC Champ.

Tony is the People´s Champ.

Conor is a legit champion. He beat the former champion.

He *may or may not* be a better fighter than Tony (or Healthy Khabib) head-to-head.

Those points aren't in conflict. That's why they have the fights.
When RJJ beat Ruiz the former HW champ, who considered him the legit HW champ?

When RJJ beat Ruiz the former HW champ, who considered him the legit HW champ?

The champion is sometimes "not the best fighter" in a division because of schedule quirks, "fluke wins", division-hopping, and the like.

You don't even have to go outside of MMA for examples.

Conor is the champion until he loses or gets stripped by TPTB.

The better discussion is who is *better* out of the top trio at 155.

The champion is sometimes "not the best fighter" in a division because of schedule quirks, "fluke wins", division-hopping, and the like.

You don't even have to go outside of MMA for examples.

Conor is the champion until he loses or gets stripped by TPTB.

The better discussion is who is *better* out of the top trio at 155.
There´s a lot of politics, boxing or MMA.

Mac is the lineal champ, but Alvarez was not a legit one...

Anyone who wear sunglasses that are as ugly as Tony's doesn't deserve to be champ

right now?
who holds the real belt?
McG
who is the real LWchamp?
Tony

its is not that hard to exemplify,IF McG had to run through the LW division to beat Eddie he would had crossed lines with Nate,Kevin,Tony and Khabups.
he had to fight Nate TWICE to get a MD and hes ranked at number 6.
let that sink in.

Back