Who would you give the most credit to the success of the UFC?

Who would you give the most credit to the success of the UFC?

• Total voters
I went with the Fertittas although it’s hard to separate their contributions from Dana’s.

—Every MMA org has fighters, but none is nearly as successful as the UFC is and has been; so it’s not the fighters, as nice of a sentiment as that is.

—It’s not the Gracies; they were involved with the UFC from the beginning and it wasn’t really making money.

—Bonnar and Griffin certainly showed mainstream viewers how exciting MMA can be, but I don’t think the’re a necessary component.

It’s the smart business of the Fertitta’s, they turned the UFC into a juggernaut.

Again, I don't think Dana was the sole hand in getting it sanctioned. I am willing to bet Lorenzo had just as much of a hand in that as Dana did.

They were in the red on Dana's watch until someone came up with an idea that finally had them go into the green. From 2001 to 2007, It was in the red on Dana's watch. Until someone who wasn't Dana came up with the concept of a reality TV show, there was no green in sight.

Jeff Blatnick and Mark Ratner are the two guys who had influence on sanctioning along with Dana.

Jeff Blatnick and Mark Ratner are the two guys who had influence on sanctioning along with Dana.
I think it’s fair to ask if Dana would have ever had the opportunity that he did if it weren’t for the Fertittas’ financial backing. Without them, I don’t think Dana ever gets to be Dana.

Dana White at nearly 50%.

Tells you everything you need to know about MMA fans.

"The fighters" can't possibly be the correct answer, since literally every MMA org has fighters.

There's only one answer. Anyone who says otherwise is dishonest.

I think it’s fair to ask if Dana would have ever had the opportunity that he did if it weren’t for the Fertittas’ financial backing. Without them, I don’t think Dana ever gets to be Dana.

I think they both needed each other really. Other promoters have had financial backing, but none have managed to make it work over a sustained period.

Obviously Dana couldn't have done it without the financial backing, but didn't he bring the UFC idea to them in the first place from what I remember?

I think they both needed each other really. Other promoters have had financial backing, but none have managed to make it work over a sustained period.

Obviously Dana couldn't have done it without the financial backing, but didn't he bring the UFC idea to them in the first place from what I remember?
I honestly don’t remember if Dana brought the idea to them or not. But I agree that it’s hard to separate their contributions. Dana couldn’t have done what he did without them, and I also highly doubt that their investment in the UFC would’ve turned out the way it did without Dana.

"The fighters" can't possibly be the correct answer, since literally every MMA org has fighters.

There's only one answer. Anyone who says otherwise is dishonest.
Fertittas. Anyone giving Dana all the glory is straight up being dishonest.

Fertittas. Anyone giving Dana all the glory is straight up being dishonest.

The question wasn’t about giving anyone “all” of the credit; it was who deserves the “most” credit. The Fertitis played a pivotal role, but without Dana it wouldn’t have reached the level of success that it has. The Fertitas haven’t been involved with the UFC in several years and it’s more than doubled in value in that time.

Everyone said the Fertitas screwed WME with the 4 billion evaluation, and now it’s estimated at 9-10 billion.

The question wasn’t about giving anyone “all” of the credit; it was who deserves the “most” credit. The Fertitis played a pivotal role, but without Dana it wouldn’t have reached the level of success that it has. The Fertitas haven’t been involved with the UFC in several years and it’s more than doubled in value in that time.

Everyone said the Fertitas screwed WME with the 4 billion evaluation, and now it’s estimated at 9-10 billion.
You really think Dana is the reason it went from 4 to 9-10 billion?

I'd say Fertittas deserve the most credit for financially backing the organization. Without them, there is no Dana.

If you had to pick someone who would it be?

Dana White?
Fertitta brothers?
The Gracie family?

Feel free to suggest some names.

dana3.png

8488616_web1_rtr1auj8.jpg

6509dac975c093c8e784f844_gracies.jpeg

Should be Joe Rogan and Goldie TBF T.S

the lawyers who draw up the contracts followed by the Fertittas who were able to leverage their connections.

It's Dana. Like him or not, this whole thing wouldn't have survived 30 years without him. Look at the other MMA organizations that failed because they didn't have a Dana to keep things in line:
Pride FC
IFL
Dream MMA
EliteXC
YAMMA
Affliction
WEC
Strikeforce
WSOF
Bellator, etc.

John McCain deserves to on this list as much as Jones and Silva

Back