Who has the grappling advantage in Tony vs Khabib?

Who has the better ground game

• Total voters
Hopefully we get to find out in early April.

Whilst Khabib wrestling, specifically his top control, is outstanding; we have yet to see him be the smaller man. We also haven’t really seen him fighting a guy who threatens with offence from his back.

Tony cuts just as much weight, and is very offensive from the bottom - which makes this fight so intriguing.

For me, Khabib has much better control and is far better at conducting where the fight takes place, but Tony is more “dangerous” on the mat.

Khabib is kind of GOATly on the ground. That being said, I feel like Tony will make it a shit ton more painful and difficult than anyone Khabib has fought. Interested to see if/how things shift in rds 3-5.

That's a good point
Do you think Khabib can finish Tony on the mat? And do you think that one guy is likely to tire before the other?

I go back and forth on the second question, I think Khabib can go for a full 25, but I think Tony scrambling and diving on leglocks every 15 seconds could tire anyone out trying to defend that
It is not that difficult for a wrestler to lay a one sided beating on a downed opponent for 15 minutes.(Lesnar vs Herring). It is stress and pressure that quickly saps the energy (Lesnar vs Cain). Tony has those nasty elbows from the bottom too, so there won't be a place where Khabib can relax. Khabib also said he would be pressing for the finish which I don't think is a good strategy against a cardio freak like Tony.

Has Khabib fought anyone whose happy to work from bottom? It seems as though all of Khabibs past opponents are busy trying to escape.

Has Khabib fought anyone whose happy to work from bottom? It seems as though all of Khabibs past opponents are busy trying to escape.
Nope RDA is the best grappler has fought in MMA and RDA historically has been great at getting up but never really threatens off his back
Khabib has fought and dominated a lot of great top position guys though

It is not that difficult for a wrestler to lay a one sided beating on a downed opponent for 15 minutes.(Lesnar vs Herring). It is stress and pressure that quickly saps the energy (Lesnar vs Cain). Tony has those nasty elbows from the bottom too, so there won't be a place where Khabib can relax. Khabib also said he would be pressing for the finish which I don't think is a good strategy against a cardio freak like Tony.
Yeah these are things I was alluding to
Who do you have winning?

I say Khabib by a large margin. But I also said Edgar had the standup advantage over Ortega by a large margin. So time will tell.

Khabib has a much better ground game than Tony. Also, Tony will try to keep the fight standing as long as possible , maintain distance and utilise his huge reach advantage effectively. But the difference is that if it goes to the ground he won't be fighting to get back up but rather make khabib work harder there. This is what makes this fight interesting.

Yeah these are things I was alluding to
Who do you have winning?
I have Tony by a 4th round tko. I can see a tired Khabib in the 4th, unable to get the takedown and just taking punishment. Tony, however does take chances and might give up an easy takedown. If Khabib makes it to the final bell he gets the decision.

my gut wants to say Tony like if anyone can come up with a solution to Khabib its high as fuck Eddie Bravo right?

Khabib of course......Khabib finishes Tony by the 4th.....beat down and GnP!!

Khabib all the way. The whole being comfortable off your back thing is fine but the judges generally view fighters who spend large amounts of a fight on their back as being the loser. Last guy you want on top of you is Khabib.

I like Khabib, always did, but some of his delusional fans really need to stop acting as if once he takes you down you won’t get up. Abel Trujillo escaped him over and over, over 20 times. So yeah Khabib got the takedowns but he didn’t manage to keep the guy down, and he’s pretty small.

Khabib because his style will win on points if it goes to decision.

Back