Who has the best resume ? Machida or Wonderboy ?

both spotty as all hell. probably similar in terms of overall quality. both pretty frustrating fighters to watch because sometimes they look like world beaters and then sometimes they go in and lay an egg.

One guy won the UFC title the other guy put me to sleep when he stared at Darren Till for 25 minutes.

So I’ll go with Sam Stout and call it a day.

Machida by a lot

You've left off an undefeated Thiago Silva, retiring Couture and Belfort with the same kick, completely outfoxing Mouse and beautifully timing Bader coming in (who others seem to argue is an elite fighter)

His decision against Shogun was suspect but he was unlucky to drop a decision to prime Rampage too

Also, this is a bit misleading. You are talking about Hendo on the downside of his career, but he wasn't. He was on a four fight winning streak with wins over Fedor and Shogun.

On the other hand, though you don't mention it, Ellenberger and Hendricks were arguably the most washed up fighters in the history of MMA, which is like 1/3 of his wins listed.

I do like them both, followed them from the start, Machida even before UFC, but it's clear who is a better fighter with better accomplishments, wins and skills, and it's not the guy who at any point of his career, sounded entitled enough to demand cherry picking fights against non-wrestlers.

I agree with everything you said, Machida definitely has the better resume easily but in defence of the Hendricks win, I believe Hendricks was the number ranked contender going into the WB fight. Hendricks had lost a controversial split dec to Lawler to lose his belt (MMA media scores had 12-4 media members scoring it for Hendricks) & followed that up with a win over Brown (Brown was ranked at the time, he had lost to Lawler in a title eliminator fight). I actually think the devastating 1 sided beatdown by WB was the beginning of the end for Hendricks, he was never the same afterwards. No one had ever so convincingly destroy Hendricks like that, it was like a video game beatdown

Machida’s wins over Franklin and Penn when they were considered elite and in their prime was what started the whole “who is Ryoto Machida” - already a legend before he came to the ufc

How is this even a question? lol of course it's Lyoto I drink Mapeeda

I agree with everything you said, Machida definitely has the better resume easily but in defence of the Hendricks win, I believe Hendricks was the number ranked contender going into the WB fight. Hendricks had lost a controversial split dec to Lawler to lose his belt (MMA media scores had 12-4 media members scoring it for Hendricks) & followed that up with a win over Brown (Brown was ranked at the time, he had lost to Lawler in a title eliminator fight). I actually think the devastating 1 sided beatdown by WB was the beginning of the end for Hendricks, he was never the same afterwards. No one had ever so convincingly destroy Hendricks like that, it was like a video game beatdown

You are missing one very important thing about that Hendricks win.

The DATE of the WB fight.

Feb 6th 2016.

The date of iv ban. Oct 1st 2015.

Ellenberger and Hendricks he fought, to this very date, are two of the most washed up fighters in the history of MMA.

To compare WB to Machida as if they are in any shape or form in an equal footing is ridiculous in a way, just as ridiculous it is to single out Hendo for being old when he was on 4 fight winning streak with wins over shogun and fedor, but not say nothing about those two wins.

Weird thread. The only correlation between these fighters is their karate/kickboxing similar stand up style.

Who’s got the better CV Cain Velasquez or Josh Koshcheck ?

im loving the machida threads today haha. great fighter. most exciting fighter ever to watch. gave everyone he fought a hard time.

Could OP have picked 2 more random fighters to compare like this? Next thread: who's the better grappler Roy Nelson or Chris Leben

Best KO's? Machida.
Lyoto-Machida-vs-Fabian-Edwards-Bellator-281-02.jpg

jon-jones-after-choking-out-lyoto-machida-with-a-standing-v0-bwyfqlorzl191.jpg

GettyImages-102417946_0.jpg

<GinJuice>

You are missing one very important thing about that Hendricks win.

The DATE of the WB fight.

Feb 6th 2016.

The date of iv ban. Oct 1st 2015.

Ellenberger and Hendricks he fought, to this very date, are two of the most washed up fighters in the history of MMA.

To compare WB to Machida as if they are in any shape or form in an equal footing is ridiculous in a way, just as ridiculous it is to single out Hendo for being old when he was on 4 fight winning streak with wins over shogun and fedor, but not say nothing about those two wins.

I said I agree about all your points that we can't compare WB career to Machida. But Hendricks was still legitimately ranked as #1 or #2 contender going into that fight. Its easy to look back in hindsight now but I do believe the WB beatdown ALSO contributed to derailing Hendricks. He had already taken a lot of damage in the 2 wars with Lawler & then the WB beatdown exasperated his situation. Some guys are never the same after some bad beatings, so I think that's something to consider along with the IV

Back