who gave wanderlei his black belt?

There are levels of black belt, and if you are not consistently working on your skills they decay over time.
That's my sentiment. You may be a black belt in the gym and for the average couch potato like me, but if you don't use it, you will NOT be a black belt against professional MMA competitors.

Well, he has been submitted a total of 0 times in his career so obviously he has BJJ.skills.

Aldo's grappling credentials:
  • CBJJ World Championships
    • 2001 World Championship Bronze Medalist (blue belt)[74]
  • CBJJ Brazilian Championships
    • 2003 Brazilian National Champion (purple belt)[74]
  • CBJJO Copa Del Mundo
    • 2004 World Cup Champion (brown belt)[74]
(1) None of it says Black Belt.
(2) That was awhile back.
(4) That is pure BJJ. MMA BJJ is a different beast.
(5) I am not denying his black belt credentials against a guy like me who has never trained, I am questioned his black belt credentials against professional MMA fighters in competition, because that is the true black belt level.

Aldo never goes to the ground, even when on paper, he should have the advantage. So, either he is not comfortable on the ground and/or his coach gives him shitty gameplans, that his skill was able to overcome in the past, but not anymore.

IIRC it was the guy who was on TUF and fought a couple of times in the UFC, Cristiano Marcello. Chute Boxe's BJJ coach. One of them. Nino was another. Cordeiro was more of their MT guy. So that's a different belt.

Take into account how long Wand's been grappling, and that there are different forms of BJJ. You put in the time your rank goes up. He's got great defense.

There are levels of black belt, and if you are not consistently working on your skills they decay over time.
More accurately there are levels if athletes. A club level black belt is not the same a world class black belt. Its the same in any physical contest.
There are Maia black belts & there are Vitor Belfort black belts.
And there are Ed O'neil level Black Belts. PPl think having a black belt is exclusive to the top 10 fighters at any given time in the world.

That's not how it works.
A black belt signifies a balance between, time training, knowledge of technique, experience, self improvement and practical application. Every belt does. You will have very talented blue belts (jon jones) submitting legit black belts (vitor and machida)
Who do you think has better knowledge of BJJ, a 73 year old carlson Gracie or 35 year old Roger gracie?
Now who do you think would win a fight between them?

Does this mean that Carlos does not deserve his 9th Dan black (red) belt.

This would not be confusing if ppl actually trained and observed that different athletes are just better at applying knowledge.

Back