Rewatch Who do you think won Whittaker/Romero 2?

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
Haven’t watched this fight in years but from what I remember Bobby started out hot by jabbing the shit outta Yoels eye. Probably breaking his orbital early. Robert ended up breaking his hand on Romeros steel face, and Yoel who was pacing himself took advantage of the situation and dropped/wobbled Robert like 3 times in the later rounds iirc. I think Robert may have landed a couple of nice head kicks too.

Yoel got his face changed after this fight, his eye has never looked the same. Yet robert sounded extremely concussed after the fight, like a completely different person.

So who do you think won this fight? Round by round. And also if this fight was judged as a whole, who do you think would have taken it?

Idk who won this fight by UFC standards, and I was happy to see Robert get the win. But I did leave feeling like if this was pride judging Robert would have definitely lost the fight.
Both their fights were absolute wars. But this second one was particularly brutal on both participants.

1, 2 and 4 for Whittaker. 3 and 5 for Romero. Either Whittaker wins or a draw (depends on how you score the fifth round).

I personally scored it a draw and was surprised to see so many people scored the fight for Romero.

1, 2 and 4 for Whittaker. 3 and 5 for Romero. Either Whittaker wins or a draw (depends on how you score the fifth round).

I personally scored it a draw and was surprised to see so many people scored the fight for Romero.
Probably scored it like me and just based it off a whole. People don’t know the difference or maybe just can’t count. It would be a very hard argument to score it round by round for Yoel I guess

I thought Whittaker won tbh but I haven't rewatched it since.

At the time I remember thinking if he had that exact same fight with anybody else but Romero there wouldn't have been any controversy about the decision.

Because it was Yoel I feel like a lot of people feel Whittaker "survived" the fight, and undoubtedly came out of it more damaged.

It was the same narrative after Costa/Romero as well. "Costa left in a wheelchair, Yoel walked out of the arena so how did he lose?".

Unfortunately, not everybody is a human bomb shelter like Yoel, but they can still do enough within 15-25 minutes to win a decision against him.

I think Whittaker won tbh but I haven't rewatched it since.

At the time I remember thinking if he had that exact same fight with anybody else but Romero there wouldn't have been any controversy about the decision.

Because it was Yoel I feel like a lot of people feel Whittaker "survived" the fight, and undoubtedly came out of it more damaged.

It was the same narrative after Costa/Romero as well. "Costa left in a wheelchair".

Unfortunately, not everybody is a human bomb shelter like Yoel, but they can still do enough within 15-25 minutes to win a decision against him.
I've watched Romero vs. Costa quite a few times trying to analyze Costa's game. The more I watched the more I leaned towards Romero winning. He outboxed Costa in the center, and Costa's activity went completely south midway through the fight.

I wasn't complaining because I was just happy to have a new contender in the division.

I've watched Romero vs. Costa quite a few times trying to analyze Costa's game. The more I watched the more I leaned towards Romero winning. He outboxed Costa in the center, and Costa's activity went completely south midway through the fight.

I wasn't complaining because I was just happy to have a new contender in the division.
I definitely think there's an argument for Yoel winning, but it was so close I can't really call it a robbery either way.

Whittaker edged out but I would've been fine with Romero or even a draw. It was close

Idk but Romero should have won against Adesanya
When did this get added to the judging criteria?
salsa-dance.gif

I had Yoel winning over point-fighting, pillow-fisted Whittaker.
Freely admit I might be getting this mixed but didn't he break Yoel's orbital with a kick in the fight? Screams point fighting. Incidentally 1, 2 and 4 for Whittaker. Question is whether you gave Yoel the 5th 10-8. I didn't so 48-47 Reaper and at best you can mount an argument for a draw for Yoel.

I thought Whittaker on the night, but I always want to rewatch this fight every time this argument is brought up. Not hard to do though, it was a fucking banger.

I don't want to be redundant, some other posters have already said what I would say, so I'll say this. The way I see it, Yoel constantly screws himself relying on his explosion. If he pressured just a little he'd win his fights more decisively. Sometimes things aren't going to go your way when you constantly rely on your gifts.

He just gets in dudes faces and waits for them to throw and he explodes. It's a very basic game. Yoel is always praised for his defense, but in reality it wouldn't be so sound without his crazy adamantium body. He could also use his wrestling more, that's where most of his skills lie, and use his heavy punches to end fights with GNP (like he did against Machida and most recently Manhoef), but he's happy to try and exploit his gifts because it's less taxing on his cardio.

Last edited:
I originally had Whittaker winning round 4, but on the rewatch, he really didn’t do anything notable that entire round. Yoel rocking him to end the round was more meaningful than anything Whittaker did. I could see the argument that round 4 was a toss-up.

I know Whittaker fans love boring point-fighting, though.

Back