Which wrestler had the most talent but was never given the opportunity

Damien Sandow- He always made everything work and got over no matter how shitty his gimmick was. Great in ring talent too.

Tito Santana- Was always over with the fans. Ricky Steamboat (esk) babyface.

Curt Henning- Had an IC push, but deserved a world title run

Jimmy Snuka- He should have at least had an IC run.

I agree that Dibiase shouldve got the title as a transitional champ between Hogan and Macho Man, I think he couldve really built up some great heat leading up to Wrestlemania 4
Paul Roma had the personality of a paint can
Curt Hennig was world champion
I never watched Morrison in WWE but I love his work in Lucha Underground so I agree with you there too
Morrison was awful on interviews and sloppy in the ring. Has improved a bit in LU, but still sloppy. It just looks better with the Lucha style.

I did think he would be the breakout of the Miz/Morrison though.

Dean Malenko. Also I agree with Mr. Perfect; him defecting to the NWO after Arn gave him his spot was like a precursor to the shit they were going to do with Bret Hart. I seriously believe if Hart hadn't gotten kicked in the head he would have been in the equivilant of the West Texas Rednecks...He would have formed the new new Hart foundation and they would be rastafarians. "Mike Tennay who is this coming to the ring?" "It looks like Bret Hart with dredlocks, Jim Niedhart looking exactly the same, British Bulldog in a Sublime shirt, and who is this...ITS VAN HAMMER! He's defected from the No Limit Soldiers! General Rection will be pissed! What will Master P do?" ....and scene.

Dean Malenko. Also I agree with Mr. Perfect; him defecting to the NWO after Arn gave him his spot was like a precursor to the shit they were going to do with Bret Hart. I seriously believe if Hart hadn't gotten kicked in the head he would have been in the equivilant of the West Texas Rednecks...He would have formed the new new Hart foundation and they would be rastafarians. "Mike Tennay who is this coming to the ring?" "It looks like Bret Hart with dredlocks, Jim Niedhart looking exactly the same, British Bulldog in a Sublime shirt, and who is this...ITS VAN HAMMER! He's defected from the No Limit Soldiers! General Rection will be pissed! What will Master P do?" ....and scene.
Malenko didn't have the mic skills to carry a main event. He was better-suited being the muscle in a faction, where he could blend into the background, and his strong but silent gimmick could actually get over to some degree.

Malenko didn't have the mic skills to carry a main event. He was better-suited being the muscle in a faction, where he could blend into the background, and his strong but silent gimmick could actually get over to some degree.
You have to have a Jericho esque heel to play off him. That feud is still probably the most underrated ever.

One thing......If anyone named was really that talented, wouldn't it not matter where they went, they would've become major players?

A lot of the usual suspects had their own issues as to why they never given higher positions and there are some that are head scratchers because most had nothing else to offer than a good match.....Pro wrestling isn't just that.

Whatever though, new jack if given the opportunity would've used his unique promo ability and charisma to be more than he was in ECW. But he's a nut and it never happened.

He always said if he was just going to job, he would have needed a million dollar contract

Tazz. I understand he was short, but so were Benoit, Guerrero, Jericho, and they all thrived.

Lance Storm - Dude should have been a much bigger player than he actually was in WWE.
I came in here to say Lance Storm. He was awesome.

i'm genuinely surprised there wasn't a reformation of the hart foundation in wcw after hart, neidhart and davey boy all defected.

Sean o haire is my number 1, with ddp's WWF run a second

What names you guys got?

Sean O'Haire got arrested in Beaufort County, SC for allegedly punching some woman in the face at a dance club when I was working as a reporter down there around 2003 or so. My buddy wrote a story about it for the paper that got picked up by some of the wrestling sites that were around back then but none of them credited him.

Sean O'Haire got arrested in Beaufort County, SC for allegedly punching some woman in the face at a dance club when I was working as a reporter down there around 2003 or so. My buddy wrote a story about it for the paper that got picked up by some of the wrestling sites that were around back then but none of them credited him.
Origin of alternative facts

I thought Rick Martel was pretty dam good, got little to no pushes

Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero should have gotten more opportunities at the top than they did. Both should have been multiple World Heavyweight champs. But in that time the roster was stacked, so i can see why they didnt. Randy Orton defeating Benoit still pisses me off too this day. Fuck him and his boring persona and 4 move ring work!

Tazz. I understand he was short, but so were Benoit, Guerrero, Jericho, and they all thrived.

Lance Storm - Dude should have been a much bigger player than he actually was in WWE.

+1 for Lance Storm. He got a little time in the mid-card WWE but nothing like his WCW push, which was well-received. "Lance! That roll through one-legged crab spot you do is fantastic! It should be your finisher. Yes, of course I'm sure. Except stop doing the roll through. It looks like it takes effort. Yes, your finisher is now a one-legged Boston crab, yes."

I think with the machine behind Paul Roma, (in the WWF, before he was jobbed out 1000 times) he could've been a top heel.
Kenny from the Spirit Squad was and still is great.
John Morrison should have been an absolute superstar.

Hennig and Dibiase should've been world champs, but I feel like they get enough opportunity to say this isn't a total misuse of talent.

Paul Roma? No.
Paul Roma and Hercules Hernandez as Power and Glory? Hell fuckin yeah.

Chris Kanyon.

Rest in peace, you glorious, innovative, closeted son of a bitch.

Zak Ryder.

"No more crying. You guys want a spot? Get yourselves over."
"I got myself over."
"Nobody approved that. Go out there and job."

Colonel DeBeers. I know he was never in the WWE but I wonder why they never signed him. He would have been epic.
Mike Awesome was treated like a jobber.
Randy Orton should be more recognizable than John Cena. WWE screwed up big time.

Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero should have gotten more opportunities at the top than they did. Both should have been multiple World Heavyweight champs. But in that time the roster was stacked, so i can see why they didnt. Randy Orton defeating Benoit still pisses me off too this day. Fuck him and his boring persona and 4 move ring work!

Well both had their careers interrupted by a small case of death.

Otherwise, I think they both got a fair shake - they were the closing image of WM20, one of the biggest events of all time, celebrating as champions in the ring together - as a big mark for them both, I'll never forget it and they couldn't possibly top that night. So I'm not sure what more you think they could've achieved.

As amazing a worker as Benoit was - and boy is he missed today; to me PW nowadays is a glorified gymnastics routine - he was never a draw.

Guerrero was getting more and more popular - Eddie chants were a big thing toward the end - I feel he had more to achieve than Benoit.

Neither would I put in the category of this thread, however.

But cheers, I always like to talk about Eddie and Chris.

I thought Rick Martel was pretty dam good, got little to no pushes
The model was fantastic, and was a huge star in the AWA pre-WWF. His recent shoot interviews seemed to indicate though that his heart just wasn't in it. He got in, got some fame, made his $$ and got out without too man injuries or demons.

Terrible announcing, but you can see how great he was here in a match from Japan vs. Flair. Flair could make regular guys look great, but not here. Martel holds his own. Great work, timing and charisma in the ring:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back