Which wrestler had the most talent but was never given the opportunity

I thought Rick Martel was pretty dam good, got little to no pushes
He was WWF tag champion twice in the early 80's, AWA world champion for a year and a half, got pushed as the top tag team in the WWF with Tom Zenk as Can Am Connection, WWF tag champion again with Tito Santana as Strikeforce and then given a decent push as The Model
How much more do you want? Lol

If the "opportunity" you speak of is a WWE/WCW/NWA World Title run, then the following apply for me...

Jake the Snake
Ted DiBiase
Mr. Perfect
Mike Awesome
Lance Storm
Test
Sandow
Barry Windham (not the NWA run when it didn't mean anything either)
Rick Rude (same as Windham)
Goldust (seriously should have been WWF World Champ after his controversial IC title reign)
Muhammad Hassan (NUCLEAR heat as the champ would have made for great TV)
Davey Boy Smith

He was WWF tag champion twice in the early 80's, AWA world champion for a year and a half, got pushed as the top tag team in the WWF with Tom Zenk as Can Am Connection, WWF tag champion again with Tito Santana as Strikeforce and then given a decent push as The Model
How much more do you want? Lol
talking about singles, I'm aware of his tag team accomplishment

Randy Orton should be more recognizable than John Cena. WWE screwed up big time.

That really WWE's fault, tbf.

Randy has had, what, 13 world titles, now? Been around for about 15 years.

I was having this discussion with a friend, recently. In my mind, if Orton had Cena's work ethic, he'd be the best ever, there is no doubt in my mind.

He is MORE than capable of being the best wrestler in the world, but just doesn't seem to have the drive.

As opposed to Cena who, bless him, his fundamentals are awful, but he works harder than anyone and as such is pretty fucking good.

What's the old adage? "Hard work beats talent when talent refuses to work hard".

If the "opportunity" you speak of is a WWE/WCW/NWA World Title run, then the following apply for me...

Jake the Snake
Ted DiBiase
Mr. Perfect
Mike Awesome
Lance Storm
Test
Sandow
Goldust (seriously should have been WWF World Champ after his controversial IC title reign)
Davey Boy Smith
MH woulda been amazing.
same with goldust and rick

Mr. Perfect
Razor
Owen Hart

I feel Owen's career would have surpassed Razor's given it lasted longer. RIP

IMO Ted DiBiase's career holds up just fine with or without a world title run. The Million Dollar belt was a cornerstone niche by itself. I associate the Milion Dollar belt to DiBiase as much as I associate Damian to Jake Roberts.

Mr. Perfect
Razor
Owen Hart

I feel Owen's career would have surpassed Razor's given it lasted longer. RIP

IMO Ted DiBiase's career holds up just fine with or without a world title run. The Million Dollar belt was a cornerstone niche by itself. I associate the Milion Dollar belt to DiBiase as much as I associate Damian to Jake Roberts.

If Bret had stayed with the WWF, I think Owen would've flourished. Owen was still good, but I think he checked out after Bret left.

Jake the Snake
Ted DiBiase
Mr. Perfect
Mike Awesome
Lance Storm
Test
Sandow
Davey Boy Smith

Jake the Snake, Dibiase, Rude and Perfect all got screwed by the fact that no heel really had a shot at the belt once Hogan emerged. I don't recall if Macho was truly a heel when the Mega Powers exploded, but he never registered as one to me as a kid until he picked up a Sherri as his valet. Seems like anybody with upside got stuck behind hulkamania back then, even though it would have been better for everybody if they had developed one of those guys into a legitimate threat.

Mike Awesome wasn't that great, he just seemed larger than life wrestling midgets.

I'm surprised Lance Storm didn't have a lengthy mid tier run, multiple IC reigns, tag titles etc. He seemed perfectly suited to that kind of role, was he just crowded out by all the talent accumulated after the merge?

Test seemed like the prototypical lead guy. Especially with the brand splits that happened, he seems like a guy who should have been the next Sid, instead he's not even equal to Crush in my opinion.

Windham got fat and complacent, his longevity is testament to his skills, don't think he deserved better though.

I think Golddust hugely outperformed his apparent potential. Dustin Rhodes was such a lame WCW attraction, to take a sharp left turn and stretch 20 extra years of tv exposure out of his giant frame was a huge accomplishment. Big belt or no, that guy had a great run.

Bulldog had a great run. He was never the best performer anywhere he went, so being a long term second fiddle seems about right for his talent.

Santino

Guy was legit on the mic, good in the ring, had a brilliant debut, but he was too funny for his own good, so they put him in a dress, gave him a sock puppet and made him a full time clown.

If Bret had stayed with the WWF, I think Owen would've flourished. Owen was still good, but I think he checked out after Bret left.

The dude was over and he should have been used in individual/singles competition all along. The match with Bret at Wrestlemania 10 proved Owen was capable of the main event draw/status. Then Owen was regulated to tag teams and he was outshining Davey Boy Smith at the time.

The dude was over and he should have been used in individual/singles competition all along. Owen proved he was capable of the main event draw/status after the Wrestlemania 10 match with Bret. Then Owen was regulated to tag teams and he was outshining Davey Boy Smith at the time.

I loved Owen in his feud with Bret. He should've held the belt (officially). Beating Bret for the belt would've been huge. Have Bret win it back, of course, but what's the point in a sibling rivalry if only one holds the world title?

There must have been a million of them.

An easier thread would be dudes who didn't get a chance in an org when they jumped or dudes promoted above their talent level like Lex Luger. Or Randy Orton.

i'm genuinely surprised there wasn't a reformation of the hart foundation in wcw after hart, neidhart and davey boy all defected.
It should have been reformed with Benoit, Lance Storm and ?? And I dont know

Back