Which great boxer had least of KDowns suffered in career

As someone who has spent a bit of time working in the trades, the idea that someone like Charlie Burley could be that great while regularly working in the factory is amazing to me (not that the trades are factory work, but, there are other examples). We have video evidence, though (and the word of Eddie Futch along with countless other boxing luminaries; Burley was special beyond description).
ya, doing any kind of 8 hour day and training is a real grind but in those days a lot of fighters had to do physical jobs. Athletes may have gotten better but i won't hesitate for a second in saying the older guys were infinitely tougher. the book in this corner gives a glimpse of what life was like back then.

If I remember correctly Floyd was only down once officially, and that was after he hit a guy and shattered his hand and took a knee due to the pain. I could be wrong.

James Toney I believe was only knocked down legitimately once in his career by Reggie Johnson, who dropped him with a beautiful overhand left if I remember correctly. He took official knockdowns against Roy Jones (RJ jumped into him with the chicken move, shouldn't have been a knockdown) and I think also Sam Peters caught him off balance later in his career.

ya, doing any kind of 8 hour day and training is a real grind but in those days a lot of fighters had to do physical jobs. Athletes may have gotten better but i won't hesitate for a second in saying the older guys were infinitely tougher. the book in this corner gives a glimpse of what life was like back then.
That's a great book I highly recommend it.

As someone who has spent a bit of time working in the trades, the idea that someone like Charlie Burley could be that great while regularly working in the factory is amazing to me (not that the trades are factory work, but, there are other examples). We have video evidence, though (and the word of Eddie Futch along with countless other boxing luminaries; Burley was special beyond description).

Ducked by hall of famers. What does that say about the hall of famers, and what does that say about him?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back