Which great boxer had least of KDowns suffered in career

Gregoire1

дезоксерибонулеиновая кислота
@purple
Reaction score
If anybody have such stats for Floyd, Sugar Ray, Hagler, Calsaghe,Pernell ect?

Mayweather, Hagler, Marciano are a few that would be up there. I think they each got knocked down once or twice. Not sure that Ricardo Lopez ever got knocked down.

Mayweather, Hagler, Marciano are a few that would be up there. I think they each got knocked down once or twice. Not sure that Ricardo Lopez ever got knocked down.

Alvarez dropped him in their first fight. Still, took like 47 fights for it to happen.

I remember Floyd being rocked, but I'm not sure he ever had a official Kd in his entire career.

I remember Floyd being rocked, but I'm not sure he ever had a official Kd in his entire career.
didn't he take the knee when he hurt his hand once? i'm pretty sure that was officially a knockdown.

he was never actually knocked down, though.

He took a (bogus) count vs Carlos Hernandez after he hurt his hand & turned away & got away with touching down after being Zabbed by Judah.

To the OP: quality of opposition matters in this regard. Calzaghe was only down versus Byron Mitchell, Hopkins & R. Jones Jr IIRC, but as his record has 35-something cab drivers on it, it means less than the bare stat shows. Definitely had a solid chin on him, though.

Hagler was only ever down officially once, when he touched down without a punch against Juan Domingo Roldan (ref blew the call).

V. Klit was never knocked down as a pro, but got put spark out as a kickboxer (though to be fair I believe that was from a kick, not a punch).

Marciano got decked by Jersey Joe Walcott (first fight) & Archie Moore. There may have been others (he tended to run face-first into counters squared up).

Whittaker suffered more than a knockdown or two; Buddy McGirt definitely put him over (left hook IIRC—what else was it gonna be from Buddy?!?!) in their first fight, I believe. He also got sat on his arse by Julio Cesar Vazquez, the Argentine light-middle, & by a couple of other dudes when he was at welter.

Sugar Ray Leonard got put down by (deep breath) Kevin Wosshisface (the guy he faced on his first comeback after Hearns nearly took his eye out? Howard? Kevin Howard?), then by Donny Lalonde, then twice by Hearns in the rematch, then twice by Norris & then I don't care what happened versus Camacho 'cos great fighters embarrassing themselves well into middle age shouldn't count, IMO.

Ray Robinson got decked a few times when he got older, too, but not many (despite the hundreds & hundreds of fights) until he was sickeningly old & I can't remember when or who off the top of my head.

Mike McCallum never got put over until he was like 40-something (once versus Jones Jr & once versus one of the Tiozzos, IIRC) & about twenty pounds over his best weight. He fought some savage hitters, too, & didn't blink in his prime.

All of these guys had fantastic chins.

Looking at what I have been able to recall, I feel I have possibly wasted my life.

didn't he take the knee when he hurt his hand once? i'm pretty sure that was officially a knockdown.

he was never actually knocked down, though.

He took a knee against Hernandez I think because he broke his right hand. He's never been put on his ass but Judah legitimately knocked him down, though the ref didn't see it.

Hopkins had (I think) 5 in a very long career. I am 72 years old and Hopkins will probably make a come back and fight at my age.
Ali had - I think - only two - Cooper and Frazier. But I may be wrong.

Hopkins had (I think) 5 in a very long career. I am 72 years old and Hopkins will probably make a come back and fight at my age.
Ali had - I think - only two - Cooper and Frazier. But I may be wrong.

Doug Jones also put Ali on his arse when Ali was young, as did Sonny Banks & Chuck Wepner.

Wepner stepped on his foot, Banks & Jones were solid, legit (if not actually, you know, hurtful knockdowns).

Gotta go with Hagler, that Roldan KD was a bad call. Since we are talking "great" fighters, I'm not thinking guys who were champions like Vitali or Oliver McCall. Floyd took a knee when he hurt his hand but was never legit dropped by a punch.

GGG isn't great "yet"... but has never been down amateur or pro in about 400 fights. We shall see if that streak continues tomorrow.

Calzaghe went down against the corpse of rjj and that wasn't his only one

GGG isn't great "yet"... but has never been down amateur or pro in about 400 fights. We shall see if that streak continues tomorrow.
He definitely needs to be mentioned.

It so happens that I watched today Whitaker vs Mcgirt 2. Whitaker was knocked down in this match by a straight right.

Not sure he'd qualify as a great, but James Toney had one hell of a chin. He was off balance and went down against RJJ, but other than that the only time I can remember him down was against Reggie Johnson. He took a lot of shots from some big punchers up to heavyweight and never went down. That is impressive.

3-6-71.jpg

GOAT chin

I think Hagler suffered only a single official knockdown against Roldan but it was really a trip. I don't remember off hand if McCall was ever knocked down but when I think all time greatest chin, I think of him, even if he wasn't a great champ. Lewis caught him mid-nervous breakdown and still couldn't take him out.

Alvarez knocked Lopez down in their first fight.

Back