Where is the evidence that DJ's competition is low level?

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The main argument to discredit DJ is that his competition sucks. But no one has explained why they are "low level" people act like he's fighting soccer moms ala Rousey. My guess is, fighters like Jones are raised high because he has wins over former champions and recognizable names. Such as Rampage, Vitor, Machida, Shogun, etc... Mighty Mouse is the only champion of his weight class, so he never had to beat former champions. The only difference between his competition and Jones's competition is that they aren't recognizable names. Rousey was discredited because she was fighting unskilled bums like Correira. However MM is fighting other highly skilled and talented fighters with fantastic grappling, striking, and wrestling.

1. Wilson Reis (22-6 before fighting MM): World Champion in BJJ, former featherweight, near 80% win percentage. Very well rounded fighter
2. Tim Elliot: (probably the lowest level fighter DJ fought): Holds a KO win over former UFC Lightweight champ Jens Pulver, average record, NCAA wrestler
3. Henry Cejudo (10-2, should be 10-1): World class wrestling (olympic gold medal), 85-90% win ratio, very good ground game, tight boxing and striking.
4. John Dodson (20-8): One of the best KO artists south of 155, KO win over UFC BW champ TJ Dillashaw, lost twice to DJ, 9-3 in the UFC, TUF winner
5. Kyoji Horiguchi: (19-2), 90% win ratio, 8-1 in the UFC,
6. Chris Cariaso: (17-5 before fighting DJ), former UFC BW
7. Ali Baugitinov: (13-2 before fighting DJ), world champion in wrestling, sambo, and submission grappling. Was caught taking PED's after DJ fight and still got destroyed
8. Joseph Benavidez: (25-4, 4 losses are only to DJ and Cruz), one of the best FLW/BW of all time, 12-2 in the UFC, great wrestling, KO power, strong submission game
9. John Moraga (13-1 prior to fighting DJ), high level wrestling, great grappling, strong striking
10. Miguel Torres: (39-3 before fighting DJ), 92% win percentage, 5'11 BW, former World BW Champion, was former top 5 P4P, top 5 BW all time

Stats: DJ's competition at the time he fought them were a combined 192-40, 82% win percentage. Almost all were either high level BJJ'ers, high level wrestling, heavy hitters, and good strikers. Almost all of them were also bigger than DJ and had fought at BW, FW, and some at Lightweight. No one can deny how strong the skill level of his competition is, and the argument that "Not a lot of people are 125lbs" is a silly one considering combat sports has an ENORMOUS amount of lighter guys in wrestling, BJJ, and striking.

And unlike Jones, he's constantly fighting dudes that he doesn't have any phsyical advantages over. Matter of fact, DJ is probably the smallest guy in his weight class.

99% of humans aren't that small. So there is less competition. You don't even see male humans that small on the professional soccer field.

5 foot tall is literally "low level"

It's not that they're all low level, it's just that the few that are contenders have all ready fought him twice & so now they have to fill in with anyone who shows some potential.

DJ's opponents beat a lot of DJ's other opponents.

Most of DJ's opponents were journeymen..

Jon Jones pound for pound #1.

1. Wilson Reis (22-6 before fighting MM): World Champion in BJJ, former featherweight, near 80% win percentage. Very well rounded fighter
2. Tim Elliot: (probably the lowest level fighter DJ fought): Holds a KO win over former UFC Lightweight champ Jens Pulver, average record, NCAA wrestler
3. Henry Cejudo (10-2, should be 10-1): World class wrestling (olympic gold medal), 85-90% win ratio, very good ground game, tight boxing and striking.
4. John Dodson (20-8): One of the best KO artists south of 155, KO win over UFC BW champ TJ Dillashaw, lost twice to DJ, 9-3 in the UFC, TUF winner
5. Kyoji Horiguchi: (19-2), 90% win ratio, 8-1 in the UFC,
6. Chris Cariaso: (17-5 before fighting DJ), former UFC BW
7. Ali Baugitinov: (13-2 before fighting DJ), world champion in wrestling, sambo, and submission grappling. Was caught taking PED's after DJ fight and still got destroyed
8. Joseph Benavidez: (25-4, 4 losses are only to DJ and Cruz), one of the best FLW/BW of all time, 12-2 in the UFC, great wrestling, KO power, strong submission game
9. John Moraga (13-1 prior to fighting DJ), high level wrestling, great grappling, strong striking
10. Miguel Torres: (39-3 before fighting DJ), 92% win percentage, 5'11 BW, former World BW Champion, was former top 5 P4P, top 5 BW
Damn that is one pathetic list of fighters for the number 1 p4p. Lol. You forgot his losses to Cruz and Pickett. The two biggest names he's ever fought and he lost to both.

99% of humans aren't that small. So there is less competition. You don't even see male humans that small on the professional soccer field.

By the same token, 99% of humans aren't as large as HWs...so by that logic, Stipe faces low level competition...

By the same token, 99% of humans aren't as large as HWs...so by that logic, Stipe faces low level competition...

In my group of friends there are three guys that would be HWs. I don't know anyone who is as small as DJ.

Big guys are everywhere. If I go to a baseball or basketball game or go to the mall I will see lots of big guys. I almost never see manlets that are 5'3".

It's enjoyable seeing how insecure MM makes some of you guys.

In my group of friends there are three guys that would be HWs. I don't know anyone who is as small as DJ.

Big guys are everywhere. If I go to a baseball or basketball game or go to the mall I will see lots of big guys. I almost never see manlets that are 5'3".
Being fat and being as big as a HW are not at all similar.

It's not that they're all low level, it's just that the few that are contenders have all ready fought him twice & so now they have to fill in with anyone who shows some potential.

DJ defended his title 10 times vs. 9 different contenders in 4.33 years. Yes Benavidez is nipping at the heels for a rematch, but there's also Brandon Moreno, Sergio Pettis, and Ray Borg ready to go next.

Honestly I wish every division was run like flyweight. A champion who takes on everyone, and if need be a few guys twice. I think it's terrible that guys like Romero, Ferguson, and Khabib are still contenders. They should have got their shot years ago.

Being fat and being as big as a HW are not at all similar.

I went to a BBQ yesterday. My friend Jimmy is 6'6" 240 pounds, and he has a six pack.

Nobody at the park yesterday was 5'3" or smaller.

Manlets the size of DJ are more rare than big guys.

Cariaso, Reis, Elliot, Moraga, Baghautinov are average fighters in hindsight. MM and some of his best wins at 125 - UC, Benevidez, Dodson, Cejudo are all bw rejects.
His top wins at BW were not even that impressive either, controversial win over Torres(padded record), Damacio Page(THE ultimate BW gatekeeper), Kid Yamomoto(like all JAPMMA fighters, overrated as hell and sketchy past, 18-3 overseas, but 0-3-1 in US with drug testing, and old).

Damn that is one pathetic list of fighters for the number 1 p4p. Lol. You forgot his losses to Cruz and Pickett. The two biggest names he's ever fought and he lost to both.

Brad Pickett isn't a big name, Benavidez, Dodson, Cejudo, Torres are all bigger names dipshit.

Cariaso, Reis, Elliot, Moraga, Baghautinov are average fighters in hindsight. MM and some of his best wins at 125 - UC, Benevidez, Dodson, Cejudo are all bw rejects.
His top wins at BW were not even that impressive either, controversial win over Torres(padded record), Damacio Page(THE ultimate BW gatekeeper), Kid Yamomoto(like all JAPMMA fighters, overrated as hell and sketchy past, 18-3 overseas, but 0-3-1 in US with drug testing, and old).

BW rejects? Benavidez has only lost to one guy at BW...and that one guy happens to be the GOAT BW. Dodson has a KO win over the former BW champ TJ and won TUF at BW against guys who are still in the UFC, and Cejudo has only fought once in the UFC as a BW (and won).

You're "reject" argument is about as stupid as you. good job.

Last edited:

It doesn't matter, there is a large talent pool for small guys. Wrestling's most exciting and deepest weight classes are from 130-145, boxing's deepest talent pool is also in the same weight class, same for Muay Thai, same for BJJ, same for just about every combat sport.

Stop bringing that human population shit up, it's literally the dumbest argument you can make.

Majority of men in their prime can't make 125 nor are 220+. It is the most difficult to breakthrough in middle divisions. 125 and 205+ are both shallow but Jones and DC and HWs are more respected because if there were no divisions they'd still be at the top, while MM wouldn't even be top 10,000.

Back