Where did this narrative of Dj not being a bigger star due to ufcs failure to properly promote begin

There's actually a very strong case for it. Greatest fighter in human history or not, he is the #1 P4P fighter in the world. That's objective and indisputable.

http://www.ufc.com/rankings?id=
P4P best fighter is always subjective and always disputable, though i would tend to agree with the UFC's subjective ranking at this point. But greatest fighter in human history is laughable. The guy is very good and he is also fighting poor competition.

"No one bought the ppv to see Lesnar who was the co-main event."

I was being sarcastic bro.

lol what? This is Sherdog. I don't ever assume you guys are being funny when this place is filled with trolls and dumbasses.

That is ridiculous.

By the way, I've clearly been sarcastic this whole time. Can't see how you couldn't tell!

A very interesting article has just been published by a well-known and successful figure on English TV who presents nature programmes. It's about how he has found ways to use his autism as a useful force in his life.

It is relevant in the sense of intelligently allocating resources.

If I've tried everything in the book to move someone's popularity and it has (essentially) not budged, those resources could be better spent in other areas where there is more potential for growth.

Edit: The main point being is that the situation could very easily be a situation where no one is really *at fault*...and is simply a matter of people not being interested in the product. I think that conclusion is more reasonable than the idea that the UFC is at fault for lack of promotion or that Mighty Mouse is "at fault" for being small, or even that MMA fans are *dumb* for not watching him in droves.

Wrong. They have not tried everything in the book. If they had tried everything in the book with MM, they would be able to point to dozens of other 'stars' they had created bouncing out 700K plus PPV numbers. They can't do that though can they?

The sad fact of the matter is that the UFC just sucks at promoting in general. They are completely reliant on the fighters. The UFC did not make Conor. Conor made Conor by making a PT Barnum spectacle of himself. Jones made Jones by being a douche and criminal of the highest order. Ronda made Ronda by being an Olympian and super outspoken.

The UFC has not made stars since the first couple Ultimate Fighters.

P4P best fighter is always subjective and always disputable, though i would tend to agree with the UFC's subjective ranking at this point. But greatest fighter in human history is laughable. The guy is very good and he is also fighting poor competition.

What is it about Benavidez, Cejudo, Dodson, Horiguchi, Reis, and Bagautinov that makes them poor?

faber is a midget but he's loved and grew his star power by not taking bums to decisions or waiting until it was totally safe and the crowd was asleep from boredom to go for an exciting finish.

This isn't a post on goat or rankings or skill level.

Fans are clear what they want to see; they want excitement and charisma.

Rousey 1 rd demolitions

Conor's wars w Diaz and explosive ko's

Gsp's marquee 'it' factor ( his fights weren't exciting but he had some type of appeal that for some reason when he fought made people feel like they were walking onto an exotic car dealership or something.

Nick Diaz attitude

Fedor, jones, Andersons destructions of elite fighters and sense of invincibility

Mm uses a safety first style until virtually all risk is removed then he goes for the finish. There's like, no excitement in his fights for the average paying fan.
No 'war' aspect that Nate Diaz, gaetche, Conor, fedor, and others bring to the table when they fight.

The only thing worse than watching a 5'2" man fight is watching his fight safe, in addition to watching him fight safe against a Ray Borg caliber fighter for 4.5 Rds.

It's not UFC fault that mm lacks the fighting style, charisma, or marquee factor of other fighters. He could start helping himself by going out there and violently destroying Ray Borg within two Rds, like Conor does to fighters 39947473
Times better than Ray Borg, in 1/10th the time.

What does mm expect w his performances against Tim Elliot, Ray Borg and Wilson reis, when other fighters are giving us wars fought at just as high a skill level against better opponents. No amount of promotion is going to salvage or make us care about his performance against Tim Elliot or Rds 1-4 vs Borg.

LOL
I had to stop reading this atrocious rant when you claim MM is not exciting.

And here I thought it started well, pointing out that Facer was also small but a legend of this sport.

Let me show a hint of how biased your post is:
Faber's last 5 fights? 5 Decisions.
Demetrius last 6 fights? 3 decisions, 1 TKO, 1 decision... and 3 FIght of the night Bonuses.

Now, there's one thing I need to bring up:
Faber was a star in WEC.
Might Mouse was in WEC for only 3 fights before moving into the UFC.

So the real difference here is not that Faber was this or that.
It was that the UFC did not help (nor hinder) Faber's fame.
But it is fairly obvious that they never really tried to bump Might Mouse as well.

Bottom line? UFC sucks into making stars. They ONLY invest in you if you are ALREADY a star (or have the potential to be one).
And that is pretty lame for a "promotion" who does not know how to promote their own fighters.

What is it about Benavidez, Cejudo, Dodson, Horiguchi, Reis, and Bagautinov that makes them poor?
Benavidez is good.
Cejudo was green, but still good despite that.
Horiguchi is fun to watch, but a little overrated imo. Who is his best win? Gaudinot?
Reis is not a very good fighter imo. Who is his best win? Scott Jorgenson in the midst of a 1-6 streak?
Bagautinov is a decent fighter. He's got all the makings of a solid gatekeeper.

I'm not trying to say Dentrious Johsnon isn't a great fighter. He is. But while he is criminally underrated by his critics, I think he's also a bit overrate by his fans.

LOL
I had to stop reading this atrocious rant when you claim MM is not exciting.

And here I thought it started well, pointing out that Facer was also small but a legend of this sport.

Let me show a hint of how biased your post is:
Faber's last 5 fights? 5 Decisions.
Demetrius last 6 fights? 3 decisions, 1 TKO, 1 decision... and 3 FIght of the night Bonuses.

Now, there's one thing I need to bring up:
Faber was a star in WEC.
Might Mouse was in WEC for only 3 fights before moving into the UFC.

So the real difference here is not that Faber was this or that.
It was that the UFC did not help (nor hinder) Faber's fame.
But it is fairly obvious that they never really tried to bump Might Mouse as well.

Bottom line? UFC sucks into making stars. They ONLY invest in you if you are ALREADY a star (or have the potential to be one).
And that is pretty lame for a "promotion" who does not know how to promote their own fighters.

Fans don't fork out money because of statistics. Fans want to be dazzled and entertained. They want spectacle. Fans aren't gonna come in droves because """ but but but 3 fight of night bonuses""". In fact the fans HAVENT come in spite of those bonuses. No one gives a fuck. Watching mm is not entertaining even though he is successful. Mike Tyson was overrated as fuck but he is a celebrity because when he entered the cage, it was WAR. when mm enters the cage. It's four Rds of Ray Borg and him and 30 seconds of excitement. Mm waits until the coast is clear THEN goes for the finish. It's not as exciting as what fedor did vs Sylvia, Or what Tyson does which is just fucking FIGHT and wreak havoc at a high skill level. Mm goes for the finish only if the last is clear, while Conor MAKES his own finish. Even when Conor lost, it was fucking exciting. You're a tool if you think watching prime mm is more exciting than watching prime Faber. Faber CREATED AND SUSTAINED excitement in small weightclasses FUCKING MM CANT EVEN SUSTAIN OR GROW WHAT HAS BEEN CREATED BEFORE HE GOT THERE LOL.
Faber did it on his own, why can't mm? LOL

Good points. You need the "it" factor to be popular in addition to other things.

A very interesting article has just been published by a well-known and successful figure on English TV who presents nature programmes. It's about how he has found ways to use his autism as a useful force in his life.
Is that person you? C'mon man, link me to your program about how use your autism as a useful force.

I'm not trying to say Dentrious Johsnon isn't a great fighter. He is. But while he is criminally underrated by his critics, I think he's also a bit overrate by his fans.

006_Tyron_Woodley.0.0.jpg

So out of all the fighters I named, Wilson Reis is the only one that you would actually call poor, correct? That doesn't sound too bad to me. That leaves us with Elliot, Borg, McCall, Moraga, and Cariaso. What are your thoughts on them?

Fans don't fork out money because of statistics. Fans want to be dazzled and entertained. They want spectacle.

Essentially every fan in attendance had their jaw on the floor in amazement when DJ hit that armbar. Standing ovation. They were entertained because they got spectacle. Listen to the crowd for MM's fight with Reis too. Things are coming together.

Also MM doesn't only go for the finish if the coast is clear. Watch MM give up position within 30 seconds of the Elliott fight to try and go for an armbar.

giphy.gif

MM is always looking for the finish. Sometimes it comes in the 1st, sometimes the 3rd, sometimes the fifth, or sometimes he doesn't get it. But even when one doesn't materialize you can still see he was trying.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Fans don't fork out money because of statistics. Fans want to be dazzled and entertained. They want spectacle. Fans aren't gonna come in droves because """ but but but 3 fight of night bonuses""". In fact the fans HAVENT come in spite of those bonuses. No one gives a fuck. Watching mm is not entertaining even though he is successful. Mike Tyson was overrated as fuck but he is a celebrity because when he entered the cage, it was WAR. when mm enters the cage. It's four Rds of Ray Borg and him and 30 seconds of excitement. Mm waits until the coast is clear THEN goes for the finish. It's not as exciting as what fedor did vs Sylvia, Or what Tyson does which is just fucking FIGHT and wreak havoc at a high skill level. Mm goes for the finish only if the last is clear, while Conor MAKES his own finish. Even when Conor lost, it was fucking exciting. You're a tool if you think watching prime mm is more exciting than watching prime Faber. Faber CREATED AND SUSTAINED excitement in small weightclasses FUCKING MM CANT EVEN SUSTAIN OR GROW WHAT HAS BEEN CREATED BEFORE HE GOT THERE LOL.
Faber did it on his own, why can't mm? LOL

Please, just stop.
You are too stupid to understand what you are talking about.
You are (probably) repeating what you heard someone else say, because ti makes no sense.

Fight of the night bonus is not a statistic. it is a bonus fighters receive when they are part of the most exciting fights of that night (hence the name).

But you are slow, so let me explain to you in simple terms:
UFC is a PROMOTION.
Do you understand what a PROMOTION should do??? (hint: it is to PROMOTE).
DJ is a FIGHTER
Do you understand what a FIGHTER should do??? (hint: it is to FIGHT).

Yes, some fighters can promote themselves, and this is a bonus.
But the PROMOTION is (or should be) the one PROMOTING the FIGHTER. Does this notion even compute in your (probably damaged) brain???

The bottom line is simple: UFC sucks as a promotion, and if they can only promote guys that can self-promote, that means they are not a good promotion...

Essentially every fan in attendance had their jaw on the floor in amazement when DJ hit that armbar. Standing ovation. They were entertained because they got spectacle. Listen to the crowd for MM's fight with Reis too. Things are coming together.

Also MM doesn't only go for the finish if the coast is clear. Watch MM give up position within 30 seconds of the Elliott fight to try and go for an armbar.

giphy.gif

MM is always looking for the finish. Sometimes it comes in the 1st, sometimes the 3rd, sometimes the fifth, or sometimes he doesn't get it. But even when one doesn't materialize you can still see he was trying.

giphy.gif

Lol at you trying to pump him up. Dude it's sad just stop. No one gives a fuck. He stalled in the Elliot fight when he got scared. Bored the crowd for 4 Rds. Then finished a fucking bum in Ray Borg.

Conor dusted a true atg Aldo in 13 seconds. Mm took Ray Borg 5 Rds. And you wonder why his numbers are the worst in the fucking sport. LOL

Lol at you trying to pump him up. Dude it's sad just stop. No one gives a fuck. He stalled in the Elliot fight when he got scared. Bored the crowd for 4 Rds. Then finished a fucking bum in Ray Borg.

Conor dusted a true atg Aldo in 13 seconds. Mm took Ray Borg 5 Rds. And you wonder why his numbers are the worst in the fucking sport. LOL
I look forward to all your posts if Demetrious Johnson vs. Sergio Pettis ever gets made.

Please, just stop.
You are too stupid to understand what you are talking about.
You are (probably) repeating what you heard someone else say, because ti makes no sense.

Fight of the night bonus is not a statistic. it is a bonus fighters receive when they are part of the most exciting fights of that night (hence the name).

But you are slow, so let me explain to you in simple terms:
UFC is a PROMOTION.
Do you understand what a PROMOTION should do??? (hint: it is to PROMOTE).
DJ is a FIGHTER
Do you understand what a FIGHTER should do??? (hint: it is to FIGHT).

Yes, some fighters can promote themselves, and this is a bonus.
But the PROMOTION is (or should be) the one PROMOTING the FIGHTER. Does this notion even compute in your (probably damaged) brain???

The bottom line is simple: UFC sucks as a promotion, and if they can only promote guys that can self-promote, that means they are not a good promotion...

The stars of the sport fought I such a way that their fighting was their promotion. They gave UFC something to work with first. Fans loved them first, then the ball got rolling.

Fans don't want mm. His play it safe style isn't forgiven by an exciting finish after 4 abysmal Rds. The numbers show that. UFC job is to give fans what they want. Fans don't want mm. It's mm's job to fight in such a way that it makes people feel good, not sleepy.

Just cause you are a sjw for mm doesn't make him wanted. You don't have to suck up.

The stars of the sport fought I such a way that their fighting was their promotion. They gave UFC something to work with first. Fans loved them first, then the ball got rolling.

Fans don't want mm. His play it safe style isn't forgiven by an exciting finish after 4 abysmal Rds. The numbers show that. UFC job is to give fans what they want. Fans don't want mm. It's mm's job to fight in such a way that it makes people feel good, not sleepy.

Just cause you are a sjw for mm doesn't make him wanted. You don't have to suck up.

Kid, go to sleep.
Mighty Mouse won fight of the night bonuses because the fight was exciting.
Mighty Mouse defended his belts and beat every style, every fighter and won.

Just because you don't know/understand MMA< don't claim it is not exciting. You just don't know and are too stupid to try to learn.
Simple as that.

The reason why DJ will never be a star is because of his personality and the fact that he is 5'3". Sad but true. Feel sorry for DJ because both of these things are largely out of his control.

Watch him vs Hughes 2 and 3, against BJ part 2 and then watch his fight vs Frank Trigg to start with.

Kid, go to sleep.
Mighty Mouse won fight of the night bonuses because the fight was exciting.
Mighty Mouse defended his belts and beat every style, every fighter and won.

Just because you don't know/understand MMA< don't claim it is not exciting. You just don't know and are too stupid to try to learn.

Simple as that.

Lol worst numbers in the sport = he's exciting? Lol If he was exciting we wouldn't be having this conversation. Worst ppv and worst numbers in the fucking sport and it's not close. But you keep the faith LOL

Back