Where did this narrative of Dj not being a bigger star due to ufcs failure to properly promote begin

What does mm expect w his performances against Tim Elliot, Ray Borg and Wilson reis, when other fighters are giving us wars fought at just as high a skill level against better opponents. No amount of promotion is going to salvage or make us care about his performance against Tim Elliot or Rds 1-4 vs Borg.

Its not the UFCs fault that free tv GOAT MANLET STATUS picked Ray Borg over a super fight with TJ.

tenor.gif

raw

This. This is basic job description people.

MM is the fighter. The fighters job is to make weight, fight (preferably in an entertaining fashion) and win, preferably in an exciting way most of the time, and preferably with a finish. It is completely beyond doubt that MM is doing his job. He wins every time, has more title defenses than anyone, ever. he fights in exciting fashion and he wins by finish a high % of the time. He is doing his fucking job. What more can you ask of MM?

The UFC is the promoter. It is their job to promote the fucking fighter. It this their job to make people interested in the fighter. And it is their job to get people to either pay to go to the events and watch the fighters or pay to watch them on PPV. And for doing this, they get the overwhelming majority of the revenue from the fights and their broadcast.

The UFC is shitty at promoting-period.
The worst part of the whole situation is that UFC President Dana White goes out of his way to do the complete opposite. He slanders these fighters publicly rather than promoting them.

It's sad to hear people talk about how some fighters are boring and unpopular, only to see Dana go out and set the tone by trashing them publicly.

The tiny amount of publicity and marketing that UFC does for some fighters is completely reversed by the efforts Dana makes to slander them on a much bigger platform. The soundbites and headlines from Dana reach far more people than the tweets and rare commercials put out by the UFC.

The worst part of the whole situation is that UFC President Dana White goes out of his way to do the complete opposite. He slanders these fighters publicly rather than promoting them.

It's sad to hear people talk about how some fighters are boring and unpopular, only to see Dana go out and set the tone by trashing them publicly.

The tiny amount of publicity and marketing that UFC does for some fighters is completely reversed by the efforts Dana makes to slander them on a much bigger platform. The soundbites and headlines from Dana reach far more people than the tweets and rare commercials put out by the UFC.

Its trashing a fighter calling him the best ever?

DJ ran from the TJ fight. How do you sell a guy that is 5'2 in rockports who flees from super fights? GOAT status fighting Ray Borg?
giphy.gif

You guys kill me. Ray Borg wouldn't want to fight Ray Borg if he had the choice.

Opportunity to be a star and fight TJ and he whines for a Borg fight.

I would rather watch two high school kids fight than DJ.

The question is whether those things translate into economic productivity that can be leveraged in future negotiations, and to what degree. A chant doesn't pay bills. But if the chants inspire people to part with their money for a fight, merchandise, twitter followers (which helps grows the company through brand recognition), etc...that's different.

I tend to think it's much more likely that he is capped by his physical status and personality than it is he shoots off and becomes a leading star (economically). But like I said earlier, I actually hope I'm wrong. I admire and appreciate him very much.
I think all those things I mentioned are signs that yes DJ is more marketable and profitable today than ever. They are promising signs at the least. It's just clear to me, as someone whose been supporting DJ for a while, that there's been a significant increase in his popularity. If it continues adding up he'll be in a great position.

Below is a twitch followers graph if interested. Not worth analyzing yet since it's relatively new, but it's there anyway.

MM Twitch.png

He's not very popular on his Twitch stream..I guess Twitch failed to promote him too..

Ahh yes the old "Can you see my sarcasm that isn't plainly obvious through my short sentence, guy who has never seen a post from me before"?

I wish you kids understood how sarcasm works, especially when text has no tone.
Sorry to leap in but it was very obvious mate, I can confirm that the fault lies in your perception.

<31>

Edit. the claim that I made is so obviously false it should be understood as sarcasm but I guess on Sherdog you got to always assume someone is trolling or just dumb as hell.
You're right and I am definitely assuming it right now.

Sorry to leap in but it was very obvious mate, I can confirm that the fault lies in your perception.
"No one bought the ppv to see Lesnar who was the co-main event."

I was being sarcastic bro.

lol what? This is Sherdog. I don't ever assume you guys are being funny when this place is filled with trolls and dumbasses.

That is ridiculous.

By the way, I've clearly been sarcastic this whole time. Can't see how you couldn't tell!

UFC 216 just did 125k. Kevin Lee and Tony Ferguson will never be stars.

Kevin Lee is just starting his career you fucking goof.

This was his second high profile fight.

Just starting, but has 12 UFC fights (just 5 less than Mighty Mouse). Okay.

He's 24. And this was his first PPV fight, let alone main event.

Mighty Mouse has been champion long enough that nothing is going to change.

Not sure why you are being obtuse about it. You know it.

Fedor beat alot of cans that are worse than the likes of Elliot and Borg. Anderson lost to some cans that are worse than the likes of Elliot and Borg.

Yeah, but both Fedor & Anderson also beat a lot of respected & well-known MMA fighters, Mighty Mouse sure can't say that can he?

He's 24. And this was his first PPV fight, let alone main event.

Mighty Mouse has been champion long enough that nothing is going to change.

Not sure why you are being obtuse about it. You know it.

Doesn't matter. His numbers are awful. If he's going to be headlining, then I expect him to do a lot better than that. Mighty Mouse did 115k in his first PPV, and that was with ZERO drama and ZERO hype behind it. He didn't have a Tony Ferguson (who's somewhat known) to help boost the numbers. Kevin Lee (and Tony Ferguson) spent months running his mouth and only has 125k to show for it. It took him 10 UFC fights just to get the UFC to give him a high profile fight. Before the Chiesa fight, you could've said exactly the same thing about Lee.

'that nothing is going to change.' You don't know that. Anderson Silva had been champion a lot longer when fans finally caught onto him.

Last edited:
MM has a couple things stopping him from reaching that superstar status.

His size or lack of it...If MM was a WW/MW, you would have yourselves a guy with a larger following than both GSP/Anderson/Jones.

His personality/charisma. He has none...Dude is so normal he makes me look exciting...And I'm not exciting. This guy's idea of a good time is playing xbox while eating pizza and drinking beer. It's his thing, but he doesn't give off that Superstar vibe when he isn't OUT THERE. Even GSP who slept in gyms he was visiting still managed to go out clubbing to get his face out there.

Self-promotion. You look at all the higher paid fighters and they all have one thing in common...SELF PROMOTION. You can cry and complain all day and night that it's all the Promoter's job, but at the end of the day that extra effort is what pays off. It's the same in any working environment, if you don't work hard and go after that raise/promotion...You won't get it.

He tends to fight super conservative until the last round, when it is obvious his opposition do not have the skill to beat him.

These are the major factors I believe.

TS is right. Faber got popular more in WEC which is pretty impressive.

There's a difference between Faber/MM. Faber knew how to market himself. He had the whole california kid gimmick with the entrance song too, sweatband on head, corn rows hair. He would also put himself in danger in fights and come out lucky most of the time. Something MM rarely does and lacks excitement.

Doesn't matter. His numbers are awful. If he's going to be headlining, then I expect him to do a lot better than that. Mighty Mouse did 115k in his first PPV, and that was with ZERO drama and ZERO hype behind it. He didn't have a Tony Ferguson (who's somewhat known) to help boost the numbers. Kevin Lee (and Tony Ferguson) spent months running his mouth and only has 125k to show for it. It took him 10 UFC fights just to get the UFC to give him a high profile fight. Before the Chiesa fight, you could've said exactly the same thing about Lee.

'that nothing is going to change.' You don't know that. Anderson Silva had been champion a lot longer when fans finally caught onto him.

Lmao.

Yeah Mighty Mouse is going to be Money Mouse any day know. It's going to be that 13th title defense against Moraga or Cejudo again that's going to change everything.

Lmao.

Yeah Mighty Mouse is going to be Money Mouse any day know. It's going to be that 13th title defense against Moraga or Cejudo again that's going to change everything.

The bar is set a lot lower these days. If Mighty Mouse pulls off 200k, he might be the 2nd most popular fighter in the company.

I don't hate MM. I'd say I like him more than your average Sherdogger.

Ever heard of sarcasm?
I’m autistic so sarcasm tends to go over my head usually.

He's had some star-making performances in his last few fights, but nobody other than the hardcore fan base is seeing them.

I don't think there is a single good answer as to why he just doesn't connect with the audience.

For a guy that no one cares about you people sure do like talking about him

Back