When has an old legend come out of retirement and beat an actual legitimate prospect?

In Boxing, Duran vs. Barkley for the middleweight championship. Duran never really retired though. As mentioned before, Foreman is a good example.

Ron van Clief, "The Black Dragon, vs. Royce Gracie...no not so good.

This is an impossible question. An old legend coming out of retirement to beat you disqualifies you from being a legitimate prospect

And Randy beat the HW champ who beat everybody else. Therefore your statement is wrong, it just proves, that legends might retire while they are still on top (like I think GSP still is).

And Randy beat the HW champ who beat everybody else. Therefore your statement is wrong, it just proves, that legends might retire while they are still on top (like I think GSP still is).

Gonzaga wasnt a prospect. He was a champ.

And LOL at using MMAth to support your argument.

Nate Diaz came out of retirement to beat Conor McGregor, retired again, then came back to take McGregor to 5 rounds, then retired once again.
Nate is barely over 30 for an "old legend", but ok lol.

Gonzaga wasnt a prospect. He was a champ.

And LOL at using MMAth to support your argument.

You use the word "MMAath" and I don't think you understand what it means.

1st. Randy beat Tim Sylvia who was champ after retirement. Gonzaga was his 2nd fight.
2nd. So as you stated, he first beat the champ and then the No1 contender.
3rd. MMAath only states that because fighter X beat fighter Y and fighter Y beat fighter Z that X also would beat fighter Z. That's not the case in my argumentation. You stated that any legend beating a prospect makes the named prospect not a prospect but something lower. The fact that Randy beat the champ refutes your argument, as it proves, that legends even might come out of retirement and beat the current champ and therefore don't negate the achievement of the fighter they beat but rather shows that the legend is still atop the game, ergo a legend can come out of retirement, beat a prospect and the prospect still doesn't lose it's validity.

You use the word "MMAath" and I don't think you understand what it means.

1st. Randy beat Tim Sylvia who was champ after retirement. Gonzaga was his 2nd fight.
2nd. So as you stated, he first beat the champ and then the No1 contender.
3rd. MMAath only states that because fighter X beat fighter Y and fighter Y beat fighter Z that X also would beat fighter Z. That's not the case in my argumentation. You stated that any legend beating a prospect makes the named prospect not a prospect but something lower. The fact that Randy beat the champ refutes your argument, as it proves, that legends even might come out of retirement and beat the current champ and therefore don't negate the achievement of the fighter they beat but rather shows that the legend is still atop the game, ergo a legend can come out of retirement, beat a prospect and the prospect still doesn't lose it's validity.

Oh yeah Tim not Gonzaga my bad.

You said well Randy came back and beat the champ who beat everyone else implying Sylvia's wins equate to Couture's wins making him eligible for this topic, atleast thats what i got out of that statement you might not have meant to imply that. If that was what you meant then that is most defintely MMAth all dressed up.

I never stated them being beat by the old legend makes them not a prospect anymore. Wrong guy.

Next, a champion, interim champ, or a contender is most defintely not a prospect which was the point inwas making which also makes him ineligible.

Cro Cop retired, came back and beat Aliakbari, who's a good HW prospect. World champ wrestler.
Cro Cop also beat Ishii 2 times.

Ishii was 12-2, with wins v Tim Sylvia, Pedro Rizzo, Monson, Fujita, De Fires, Minowa, Le Banner, and judo Olympic gold medail.

He wasn't retired at the time, but Varner came back from being released by Zuffa, going 3-1 outside of the promotion, and returned to smack a 10-0 Barboza around inside of one round. It was a pretty big deal at the time.

Oh, and I realize this wasn't under the Zuffa banner, but it needs to be brought up, because it's flat out incredible.

Cole Escovedo was left partially paralyzed and actually needed spinal surgery after a staph infection. Before that, he went 0-3 in his last three fights. He returned about three years later to upset 7-0 Mayday McDonald. I realize Escovedo isn't considered a legend, but Mayday was a legitimate prospect, and I thought that feat was beyond amazing.

Oh yeah Tim not Gonzaga my bad.

You said well Randy came back and beat the champ who beat everyone else implying Sylvia's wins equate to Couture's wins making him eligible for this topic, atleast thats what i got out of that statement you might not have meant to imply that. If that was what you meant then that is most defintely MMAth all dressed up.

I never stated them being beat by the old legend makes them not a prospect anymore. Wrong guy.

Next, a champion, interim champ, or a contender is most defintely not a prospect which was the point inwas making which also makes him ineligible.

AH! Ok, got you mate and yeah I agree with you in your arguement - thought you were the original guy I quoted. And no it's not MMA math, but we might agree to have a different definition of it.

How was Sylvia a prospect at that point? He had 25 fights and was wearing the hw belt for the 4th time. Randy was more of a "prospect" at that point with only 22 fights under his belt.

How was Sylvia a prospect at that point? He had 25 fights and was wearing the hw belt for the 4th time. Randy was more of a "prospect" at that point with only 22 fights under his belt.

Huh? What are you talking about? I was refering to the original post I quoted where the poster said "if a legend comes out of retirement and beats a prospect, it was never a prospect in the first place" - saying that the fighter was can more or less, not a prospect.

Huh? What are you talking about? I was refering to the original post I quoted where the poster said "if a legend comes out of retirement and beats a prospect, it was never a prospect in the first place" - saying that the fighter was can more or less, not a prospect.

I'm arguing that it's a terrible example because Timmeh was over the hill at that point. It's like if Mayweather had briefly retired before coming back to fight Manny. Nobody would argue that Pac-man was a prospect at that point.

randy-couture_tim-sylvia.gif
When you watch the fight, when Randy lands that punch, it's one of the biggest pops from a crowd I've ever heard.

When you watch the fight, when Randy lands that punch, it's one of the biggest pops from a crowd I've ever heard.

Yup, Randy was a fan favorite like few others. Also today, anyone with Couture's body would be fighting at middleweight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back