What's your opinion when Brian Ortega said the interim belt is a fake belt?

but it doesn't?

But it does?

http://thesportsdaily.com/2017/07/09/robert-whittaker-career-earnings-fox11/

Look at Whittaker's pay bump from Johnson vs. Reis (34k/34k) to UFC 213 (350k/0k) when he fought against Romero for the interim belt.

The purse for his next fight as actual champion at 225 (400k/0) was a small 50k bump, natural progression. It's practically the same.

Interim title holders get a huge bump in base pay. It's a real belt for anyone who's not Conor McGregor or Ronda Rousey. Ariel has talked about this many times.

But it does?

http://thesportsdaily.com/2017/07/09/robert-whittaker-career-earnings-fox11/

Look at Whittaker's pay bump from Johnson vs. Reis (34k/34k) to UFC 213 (350k/0k) when he fought against Romero for the interim belt.

The purse for his next fight as actual champion at 225 (400k/0) was a small 50k bump, natural progression. It's practically the same.

Interim title holders get paid a huge bump in base pay. It's a real belt for anyone who's not Conor McGregor or Ronda Rousey. Ariel has talked about this many times.
ortega says its not, "there's no real money involved with this one". but still, you maybe get to fight to unify and that is it. at least the real belt you can just be stripped in 2 months

He's right. But then again the official UFC belt is also bullshit.

If a fighter needs to defend the interim then they should be the undisputed champ.

maxresdefault.jpg

Lol look at that face

colby-covington-marlins-first-pitch-tbc.jpg

have-you-seen-s69b5g.jpg

He's right. It means you're basically a placeholder until the real champ gets back.

ortega says its not, "there's no real money involved with this one". but still, you maybe get to fight to unify and that is it. at least the real belt you can just be stripped in 2 months

There's no basis to whatever he's saying. Ariel said many times he only likes the idea of interim belts because fighters get paid more. Commission released numbers for Whittaker's interim purse confirms that. Massive pay bump from 34k show to 350k show that cannot be explained by anything other than championship escalation. Further confirmation comes from the Reebok outfit policy, which clearly states interim title contenders get 30k contender pay: https://mmajunkie.com/2017/12/ufc-r...e-adjusted-newcomers-receive-bump-in-base-pay

Ortega is either clueless or full of shit.

giphy.gif

Brian Ortega earned his way to the real title shot. I agree with Ortega's opinion. Demetrious Johnson is the 1st fighter who fought against the company for pressuring him into the superfight with TJ, and shut up people's criticism by an awesome suplex-armbar title defense win. I think Ortega is the 2nd fighter who fights against company's dictation. Ortega isn't the "yes-man". UFC should respect these real fighters.

Good for him, nice to see he is staying grounded

If there's no extra money, and it doesn't even solidify you as the next to fight the real champ, then no it's not a real belt.

......doesn't even hold your pants up properly.

From Schaub's podcast

"I want Max Holloway, or I want the belt. I’m not fighting for a fake belt. It looks cool, but it’s not the real belt, doesn’t get you the real – there’s no real money involved with that one, nothing that really goes on in terms of being the champion. You just get something that says I’m in first place. It just says I’m next in line for the belt." - Brian Ortega

Thoughts?

It is a fake belt and I'm glad he turned it down.

its true. its nothing more than a shiny number one contender trophy.

no need in having them.

Both Colby and Ferguson got the shaft on the interim band-aid. Just a temporary placeholder with questionable merit. Though given Colby's side I don't think the RDA fight should have been for the pseudo strap anyhow.

Lol, Ortega is just too smart for Dana's shit

Well I get what he’s saying, It’s kind of the difference between someone that owns a Ferrari and someone that rents one. It’s not yours.

True. I wish we saw Cruz vs Barao. That was the most intriguing match that time that everyone wanted to see. A must see match in the lower weight class.

Barao has fallen so hard that its almost unreal, I forget he was even champion sometimes.

Also who is in that avatar god damn she's gorgeous.

Back