What's the best prison / jail movie?

movies are shite
go to youtube and or look for documentaries

Other than the ones that have been said, Vince Vaughn's Brawl in Cell Block 99 isn't too bad.

American Me
American-Me-2.gif~c200

There is a prison movie where the main character flees to Mexico, and the final scene has him talking to a prostitute in some cheap hotel. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Was the show OZ realistic at all? Wasn't there a thread asking the prison guard questions on what actually happens?

I enjoyed the green mile. I thought Fortress was good when I watched it, but I was about 12 at the time so dunno if that one holds up.

There a lot of great ones. Many have already been listed here; Escape from Alcatraz, Sleepers, The Midnight Express, Shawshank, etc.

Not sure if these count as prison movies because the context is military, but:
My contribution is The Last Castle. With Robert Redford, Mark Ruffalo and James Gandolfini. Underrated movie that I feel like flew under the radar, I really liked it.

Also military:
The Great Escape (WW2 POW movie) with Steve McQueen is fucking amazing.
Rescue Dawn (based on a POW true story), with Christian Bale and Steve Zahn is very good too.

Shawshank Redemption
Lock Up
The Longest Yard
The Great Escape
Escape from Alcatraz
Shot Caller

That's a good movie. I can't find it anywhere though.
I have it on VD, because I’m old and don’t like these new fangled gadgets with their blue stingrays and load-downs

American History X
Shawshank Redemption
Lock Up
Shot Caller

Honorable Mention: The Last Castle

Not sure if these count as prison movies because the context is military, but:
My contribution is The Last Castle. With Robert Redford, Mark Ruffalo and James Gandolfini. Underrated movie that I feel like flew under the radar, I really liked it.

Good call. I forgot all about that movie

Back