What's the best prison / jail movie?

MV5BMmE2MTFmYmYtNzQ0Ny00MDQ3LWE0NWQtZGQ0MjZjNjRlYThlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU4Nzk4MDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

It was certainly not bad. It suffers by competing with Lock Up as a contemporary, in my opinion. But David Rasche played such a good piece of shit asshole back in the day.

Very surprised no one mentioned The Crying Game. Cause you know, sherdog and trannys.

Honorable mention to Tango and Cash

Green Mile
Wild Boys

And there's a Stallone / Thunderlips cameo on Clancy Brown's wall in Bad Boys to boot.

But I agree on Lock Up. I would call it hands down the most underrated and underappreciated prison movie (and close to the most underrated Stallone movie) ever.

Yup. Came here to post Lock Up.

I bet there aren't many of you that have seen this piece of crap.

Remember the futuristic prison from Running Man where they've got exploding collars around their necks? It's a whole film of that.
8d5d9b_e661593b7e484723b8c8dc1479830fad~mv2.webp

I rewatched Mission Impossible 4 last night and Ethan uses a rock (chipped from the wall) to play catch with himself by ricocheting the rock against two walls. Unheard of.

really surprised no one mentioned it, but Cool Hand Luke rules.
Shawshank and Green Mile are up there too.

Really didn't think it was all that good especially considering how great the book was.

Perhaps not the GOAT prison movie but Felon starring Stephen Dorff and Val Kilmer was a really good one.

And how could I forget the old Ray Winstone classic Scum ... I'm the daddy now <45>

edit: having thought about it Cool Hand Luke is the GOAT prison movie for me

I enjoyed felon.

Scum has gotta be the goat British prison movie.

Shawshank and The Green Mile are my favourites.

I couldn't see anyone mention Midnight Express, that's a great prison film.

edit: Oh and Shutter Island also.

Back