What's a good firearm for the first time gun owner?

I got a snubby hammerless Smith and Wesson .38. pretty much idiot proof and serves my needs well.
I own 2 S&W .38s. Very good little gun and it will pack a punch with proper ammo. I also upgraded to larger hand grips. My S&W Bodyguard has the large Hogue grip which has a recoil pad making it much easy to handle when shooting.

I own 2 S&W .38s. Very good little gun and it will pack a punch with proper ammo. I also upgraded to larger hand grips. My S&W Bodyguard has the large Hogue grip which has a recoil pad making it much easy to handle when shooting.
I might look into that recoil grip. That would be a nice addition. I really like my little 38. Just right for a guy that's not that into guns but who wants to have a self-defense firearm in the house or out camping and stuff.

If you have small to average hands, Sig P365 9mm. Get the version with the thumb safety. And then spend the money to do a session with a professional trainer.

If you have large hands... what are you bothering with guns for. Just crush your attacker's head.

I'm a fan of the sig p365. It's a popular ccw for a reason. Worth checking out at least.

I have multiple firearms but no glocks, just don't like them

We really need to hang out sometime, & shoot copies of Fury Road at an outdoor range with every non-Glock we can find, while toasting bourbons.

I might look into that recoil grip. That would be a nice addition. I really like my little 38. Just right for a guy that's not that into guns but who wants to have a self-defense firearm in the house or out camping and stuff.
Buffalo Bore makes some heavy duty ammo that I use if I'm out in nature.

This grip is worth it for regular use.

The original handle was just too small for my hand. Plus the recoil pad makes a big difference. I added a wood grip on my other .38 that was larger as well.

Jericho 941 compact.

Glock 19. Get a 9mm. Don't get a .380. They are less reliable and ammo is more expensive than 9mm.

If you're a baller get a SIG P938. 1911 controls in a compact 9mm.

But get the Glock

I have shot thousands of rounds of the cheapest 38 special out of a pair of shitty $300 Taurus snub-nose revolvers and not had a single malfunction of any kind.

I started with a Glock 43 and I think it was a great choice. Most people prefer the 43x but I still like the original. I'm six three and with the magazines it comes with, I can get all my fingers on the grip. It is nice.

I have shot thousands of rounds of the cheapest 38 special out of a pair of shitty $300 Taurus snub-nose revolvers and not had a single malfunction of any kind.
38 special and .380 are vastly different rounds. 38 special is much larger and is for revolvers which rarely malfunction while .380 is much smaller and a pistol round.
380vs38.jpg

I have 3 .380 pistols and all three are ammo picky/ have cycling issues even my SIG P938.

38 special and .380 are vastly different rounds. 38 special is much larger and is for revolvers which rarely malfunction while.380 is much smaller and a pistol round.
View attachment 1036795

I have 3 .380 pistols and all three are ammo picky/ have cycling issues even my SIG P938.
My bad, I got you. I've never known anyone to own a .380

38 special and .380 are vastly different rounds. 38 special is much larger and is for revolvers which rarely malfunction while .380 is much smaller and a pistol round.
View attachment 1036795

It's basically a 9mm "short". I think it's just badly designed. Bullet too big for the charge so there is not enough "bang" to make it cycle reliably. I'm sure many will disagree but this has been my experience across the board.

I remember the first pistol my dad bought back in the 80's was a .380. And he used to complain about it jamming and it soured him to semi-autos and made him stick to revolvers for the next 20 years lol.

But even if .380 was a reliable caliber, there's just no reason to go with it when ballistically superior 9mm rounds are practically half the price. I prefer good old .45 ACP in my 1911 but am looking into a double stack 9mm because any other caliber starts getting stupidly expensive if you're shooting regularly.

Last edited:
12GA Shotgun and a .40 Cal if you don't care about how much ammo costs.

If you care about how much ammo costs, get a 12GA shotgun and a 9mm.

If you really think you might be in a dangerous situation there is nothing more reliable than a revolver.

I have a smith and Wesson bodyguard and it's my favorite ccw. I'll legit forget I have it on me at times. Easy and comfortable to conceal if even if you're wearing shorts, a tank top and running.

And honestly it's relatively easy to shoot for me. It's possibly because it's the first gun I've learned to shoot with but there's very little difference to me in firing that vs a full size 9 unless I'm firing past 30 yards or so.

.380 is really popular for conceal carry
I have a smith and Wesson bodyguard and it's my favorite ccw. I'll legit forget I have it on me at times. Easy and comfortable to conceal if even if you're wearing shorts, a tank top and running.

And honestly it's relatively easy to shoot for me. It's possibly because it's the first gun I've learned to shoot with but there's very little difference to me in firing that vs a full size 9 unless I'm firing past 30 yards or so.
Bodyguard and Ruger LCP are both really popular .380s. Knew a few women that would work overnights at speciality centers that would ankle holster the bodyguard.

Even popular 9mm conceal carries like the M&P Shield and Sig p365 sell well in the .380 variants of the same gun

I'm 23 and I'm in the process of getting my gun permit and conceal carry license. Whats a good small pistol that would be good for conceal carrying and a gun thats good for a beginner to shoot?
S&W M&P Shield Plus. And 124gr God Dot or Federal HST for your carry ammo.

I guess the golden gun. Probably pretty pricey but it's the only one you'd ever need.

Back