What's a good firearm for the first time gun owner?

I'm 23 and I'm in the process of getting my gun permit and conceal carry license. Whats a good small pistol that would be good for conceal carrying and a gun thats good for a beginner to shoot?

Glock 29 10 mil compact. Round performs great , it's all purpose , decent mag capacity.....is a bit recoily but you get used to it and it is manageable. Seems like a fair trade for the power ballistics and capacity. No jive it's been my edc for a long time and I'm quite joined at the hip with it

Glock 19 9 millie. Low recoil , high mag capacity , big enough to give ya a full grip but still concealable in most outfits. Great gun to learn on and teach your woman. All round Great gun but I just can't make myself love it more than my 29.

Both can also be customized pretty easily and require very little maintenance or mechanical skills to operate and are very user friendly.

I would have to go with the highest caliber water gun you could find.

51f98kwPwoL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
Scardy cat.

Watched the highly rated Glock 19 get torture tested in a video, anvil tough.
The 9 mil's ammo isn't expensive and readily available.
Never heard anybody who owned one have a single complaint.

What's the best spot to conceal carry? I was thinking my hip on the side but is legs also a good option if your wearing Jeans?

I like just forward of my right hip spare mas on the left . Lot of folks swear by appendix, leg is shit and you aren't getting to that if you need it in a hurry.

I don't know much about guns, but I'd envision any encounter to take place at close range and so I'd imagine getting some kind of snub nosed 44. Basically max damage with little skill required. Plus you can use it as a melee weapon if needed.

Not actually planning on doing this. Just having fun with the thought.

I don't know about little skill required. Snubbies aren't super accurate and a snub .44 is going to have a hell of a recoil and your follow up shots will be slow if needed. That is a carry gun that I'd say actually does require a bit of skill to wield correctly.

Go take several training classes. 2 at minimum and try a few different compact firearms. See what works best for you.

I carry a S&W M&P9c for my off duty gun.

I don't know why but it shocks me you aren't a sig or a glock.

Should I carry my gun license everywhere I go?

If I cross state lines, is my gun permit still valid? Lets say I have a gun permit in new jersey and decide to take a trip to Masschusetts for the weekend, is it okay for me to bring my Glock 19?

I was wondering about these gun laws since its my first time owning a firearm. I dont want any legal trouble for carrying my glock everywhere I go

Yes to always carry your license.

Most states recognize other states permits but I'm pretty sure Massachusetts and New Jersey do not and you might get in trouble crossing those state lines. It's a good idea to check other states gun laws before you travel. Like I know I can't cross into Illinois with mine but I'm otherwise fine in the midwest.

I'm 23 and I'm in the process of getting my gun permit and conceal carry license. Whats a good small pistol that would be good for conceal carrying and a gun thats good for a beginner to shoot?

Go to your local gun shop and handle the guns you are considering. This is a very personal choice and what sounds great online may not feel right in person. And remember that training is much more important than whatever pistol or caliber you choose. 9mm is rightfully the most popular because it is far and away the cheapest ammo. 9mm will run you about 25 cents/round (+ tax and/or shipping) while other popular calibers like .45 ACP, 10mm and .38 spl are about twice as much.

Pistols are much harder than rifles to shoot accurately, skills take longer to acquire and degrade rapidly without regular practice. I'd recommend doing a USPSA or IDPA competition so you can appreciate what it feels like to shoot from uncomfortable positions under time pressure, running from station to station and having to reload on the fly. It's a world of difference from standing in an indoor lane taking your sweet ass time plinking a paper target.

Last edited:
This is a nice little plinker a good ccw pocket carry.

This one might print a little bit

Used to carry a Sig for a few years.

I hate Glocks to be honest. They just don’t have good ergonomics for me.

Very rarely, usually just for court I carry the 1911.

I dig it. Glocks what I learned on so no other grip really feels right to me but the last few people I have tried to teach have wanted to try something slimmer. You really can't beat the comfort of that classic 1911 grip but I just can't bring myself to mess with controls grip and trigger and mess up my normal. Train with and practice with a glock and it's so ingrained should I ever actually need it and find myself in lizard brain I want my hands to remember where things are.

I think I probably am one of those glock people. I sorta want to like the hellcat though but it not saying made in Austria on the side gives me hesitant and I'd want it in .10

I think it's my bias and I just kind of assumed most cops are glock guys with a sig department here and there.

The constitution gives you the right to have a firearm. Please never forget your responsibility in being safe in that ownership. Ask anything you need to know I will do my best to give info.
It does not; the constitution confirms that we have God-given rights. Good call on the Sig 365.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back